Thinking of starting the 30 Day Shred- Should I?

Options
I am 5'7, almost 20 and currently weigh 156lb. I'd like to lose another stone (14lb) at least so I want to step up and start actually doing some exercise and this seems like a good way to do it.
A few questions though:
How realistic is it that I will be able to do it as a complete beginner? / If not is there anything you can recommend to get me started.
Will I need loads of space?- I'm going back to university and only realistically have my halls room (which is pretty tiny but I could fit a yoga mat)
Is there a diet plan that would support it well? I've not been eating too well recently and really want to get back on track with everything (and I want to try and improve my iron and vitamin levels to stop me from feeling ill)

Thank you!

Replies

• dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've just done day 2 of level 1 and I'm twice your age! And haven't exercised in 10 years.

I do it in the front room of my tiny cottage with my 4 year old daughter trying to join in (and shouts "this is really easy mummy"). Have to lie down diagonally to do abs bit.

It's not easy but anything that is worthwhile doing is not going to be easy.

You can get it free on youtube so it won't hurt to check it out - just start doing it and see how you get on!

With regard to diet - IMO just eat a small calorie deficit and try to hit your protein goal everyday. You can't get too obsessed with every little detail or you'll find it harder and harder to stick to.

DO IT!!! There are groups on here to support you.
  • BlueJayLaw
    BlueJayLaw Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    here is a thread that has some good before and after shots:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/932106-show-me-ur-30-day-shred-results-d

As far as room, I was told that if you have enough space to stretch your arms out you should be good....or something to that effect. The answer is in that thread as well :)
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!
    Dont think about it, just do it! I thought about starting for ages, then finally started and weirdly love it! I have the smallest front room ever, and I manage. There are two stages that you can do, beginner and advanced, you will be fine! Dont give up after a couple of days, stick with it and you will notice how much fitter you get in a short space of time :) Good luck and let me know how you get on. Feel free to add me, I am on Level 2 and today will be day 9 :) xx
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I started 30DS yesterday. I had no idea what it would be like, although having seen Jillian Michaels in action on TV, i guessed it would be challenging!

I am a little used to strength and cardio training (once/twice a week), and also do yoga at weekends. But I think anyone could pick it up really quickly. The video features Jillian and her two 'glamorous assistants', one of whom does the 'easy version' of each move, and one does the 'advanced version'.

There are also 3 levels, so effectively there are 9 steps of difficulty throughout the 30 days;

Level 1 - easy version
    Level 1 - standard
    Level 1 - advanced

Level 2 - easy version
    etc etc!

Jillian also explains the moves clearly, including warm ups and warm downs. I've had some classes at the gym where you can barely understand the trainer and end up spending half the class watching them to figure it out! It's not really like that, and by day 2 you'll know what she's talking about from the day before anyway :)

Space wise, I can't really say much after level one, but judging just from level 1, you'll need enough room to lie down and still see the TV, plus enough space to do jumping jacks / lunges etc.

Other thing you need is hand weights, but as they say you can always use two cans of beans :)

There are diet plans to go with the dvd - I think they're on the net somewhere, prob need a code from inside the dvd box or something, but again I can't go off that as I haven't looked at it.

I hope this helps? I really enjoyed day 1 and day 2, and i can definitely feel 'the burn', so that's a good sign!
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    :smile: Just do it.
    The first day you'll feel like you're going to die, but you won't, and it does actually get easier as you get better. You'll notice a huge difference in your fitness really quickly. I've done 12 days and my body has changed shape - it's amazing. I also feel heaps better than I did before, so I think it's worth it.
    You will have to push yourself, and it will hurt. But nothing worthwhile is easy. GOOD LUCK
  • missy34
    missy34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do it! I'm on day 6 and loving the way it makes me feel. I am over 100 lbs. overweight and I'm able to get it done.
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have just started the shred with my 12 year old boy. He really needs to lose his belly and start becoming more active. I hyped it up to him so we are doing it together. Have done 2 workouts so far with zumba last night. I could feel it in my legs and my shoulders after the first one! Bring it on I say - I am determined to lose 10-15 lbs and stop the wobble!!
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw a few success stories with pictures on here and I ordered the DVD immediately. Hopefully it will come today. I don't believe you will regret it and even if it takes a few days to really get your form correct, the effort alone will burn calories and you will work up a nice sweat.

Good Luck!
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    today will be day 3 for me of the 30DS.....I won't lie....it hurts...and it feels like you are in hell...and you are sore all over the next day....but is it worth it?? YES!!!!! My muscles are screaming at me today and I am still gonna push through day 3 today :)

FYI you can find at least level 1 of it on youtube :)
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Certainly do it! :D
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    Don't think, just do. I'm on level 3 and have one day left. I have found that my fitness has improved, I no longer get sore muscles from exercising and have definitely seen results.
    You don't really need much space to do it it. I haven't followed any fitness plan, I've just made sure I'm in a calorie deficit and avoided junk food on most days days.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Do it! I am about to start Level 3 and love it! It is definitely a challenging workout and it pushes you, but it is short and sweet and totally worth the sweat and pain! Just be aware of your own limitations and don't be afraid to do the modified versions of exercises if you need too.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7, almost 20 and currently weigh 156lb. I'd like to lose another stone (14lb) at least so I want to step up and start actually doing some exercise and this seems like a good way to do it.
    A few questions though:
    How realistic is it that I will be able to do it as a complete beginner? / If not is there anything you can recommend to get me started.
    Will I need loads of space?- I'm going back to university and only realistically have my halls room (which is pretty tiny but I could fit a yoga mat)
    Is there a diet plan that would support it well? I've not been eating too well recently and really want to get back on track with everything (and I want to try and improve my iron and vitamin levels to stop me from feeling ill)

Thank you!

Definitely do it! The 30 Day Shred is what I started with when I first started exercising regularly last year. I was REALLY out of shape and I had to take a lot of 5 second breaks throughout the workout. As I progressed, I focused on taking fewer breaks and doing more repetitions of the exercises.

Small space should be fine, but you might have to angle yourself to fit the space during some moves.

You won't see many/any changes if your diet isn't good! Calculate your calories on MFP for a 1lb or .5lb loss per week and stick to that.

Good luck and have fun with it!
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Totally do it.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    do it!

I am one more day from completing level 1. then move into level 2. when I started I weighed 180 pounds. I am now at 175 pounds. lost inches on top of that. my thighs are firmer everyday and my stomachi s getting there.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Umm hell yeah you should do it!! I didn't take pics but JM kicked my butt. I finished 30ds and bought ripped in 30. I love JM! Also have killer buns and thighs and after week one already seeing a difference. You will love the results I promise!!
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There is no reason NOT to do it. If I'm 225 lbs at 5'7" and completely out of shape and can commit to it, you can too. If you have room for a yoga mat, you'll likely have enough space.

You don't HAVE to do it in 30 days so if you feel unsure, take it easy push yourself and do as much as you can do without overdoing it and build up. It won't matter if it takes 15 days instead of 10 to go up to level 2.

And I find I eat better when I exercise because I don't want to undo all of my hard work. Maybe you'll be the same way. :) Good luck!
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'd say give it a try, but also be careful with your knees. I started the 30DS and absolutely killed my knees! I had to stop for fear of doing permanent damage. I have talked to several people on MFP that have had the same problem but there are also a lot of people who have had major success with it. Just be cautious and listen to your body. Good luck! :smile:
  • enthucutlet
    Options
    Hi. I completed 9 days on 30 DS today and I can definitely see a difference. Have not measured myself yet but my clothes are loser and I have more stamina. Begin Level 2 tom. Give it a try.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just started it today, and it's making me feel amazing! I'm over 100 pounds overweight and I can still do it, so I think that anybody can. And with 8lb weights, too! I can't wait until tomorrow so I can do it again! I have a feeling it's really going to be worth it.