Question regarding strength training and hrm

lildebbie
lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Today was the 1st day i worked out at the gym we just goined. I had my hrm on when doing the cardio off..

My question is those of you who go to a gym and do like the circuit machines, do you leave the hrm on?? Not sure why i thought i should of turned it off?? Just curious.

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I use my hrm when I do any exercise, even strength training. I just gives me and idea of what to log everyday and makes me push to burn more!
  • FAKECED
    FAKECED Posts: 61
    agreed
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    I burn at least 350 calories when I lift weights--- definitely leave my HRM on to record that!
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Thanks!! I entered it in mfp and it said like 250 so i will need to make sure and do that next time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    As usual, I have to be the bad guy.........<sigh>

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

It's not that strength training doesn't result in significant calorie burn--it does.

It's not that strength isn't essential to effective and permanent weight loss -- it is.

It's just that the calorie burn data cannot be captured by HRMs--it can't.

With most types of strength training, the calorie counts from HRMs are not much more accurate than just making up a number.
    If you can find a meaning for that number that is significant for you, or that keeps you motivated, that's fine. But I wouldn't be including those calories in your eating plan one way or the other--they just aren't accurate.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    I leave my HRM on when doing cardio and turn it off when doing weights and abs. I have left it on at times. It motivates you to keep a better pace when doing the strenght training. I had a few years ago and I left it on the whole time to track my calories burned. But that was before MFP. It depends on your goal.

The calories may not be accurate. So what? They are a guage and you know you are burning something. And me for one feel it is better than nothing. I love my HRM and after using one for over 8 years now I do not workout without it. If I am going for a planned walk, I wear it.

Hope this helps.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    I also wear my HRM to make sure I am in cardio zone, fat burning zone, etc. I would not even have to have the calorie counting part. I am more into making sure my HR is at a certain level.
This discussion has been closed.