What workout should I be doing?

Options
Hi all!
This is my first post, although I've been a member for quite a while.

I'm currently 196 pounds, and I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds over the next year. I stay home with my 2-year old, so mostly I live a sedentary lifestyle. I've been using my treadmill during afternoon nap time for about 45 minutes, 5 days a week. Based on my speed and incline, it says I'm burning about 300 calories. (I believe it, because I am drenched with sweat afterwards)!

Anyway, the fact is that I'm so out of shape, I am sore everyday, even after doing this for a while! I'm willing to deal with the soreness but I feel I should be doing some different/more workouts. I downloaded Jillian's 30 day shred yesterday (Level 1), but after reading about it, I'm worried I won't be able to do it... I'm wondering if that is a good enough workout to be the only thing I do everyday? I really only have time for one thing, so I want to make it count.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Do it! I am on Level 2. It's a challenge, but if you push yourself, you will make it happen. I love the elliptical, too. I did it 5 days a week at 351 pounds and still use it 2-3 times a week now. Low impact, high calorie burner. Love the Turbo Jam series by Beach Body. Fun, high intensity cardio.

Also, if you stay home with a 2 year old, you can certainly make the time to exercise because if it's important to you, you will make it happen. I babysit at home with up to 5 kids a day. I work out at 5 am before my family gets up and do dance exercises and stuff like that with kids throughout the day. You can do it!!!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started with Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I made it a goal to go a little longer or a little faster or whatever each workout til I eventually was doing the 3 mile walk with ease. I moved outside when the weather improved and added a minute or two each walk, or extra distance. It was very effective to get me started.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    its good however i cant do it! im soo unfit haha.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You will be able to do it - just try. Do the modified versions and don't worry about going as fast as they go. Get the form down. I love the following workouts: 30DS, Kickbox FastFix, 6 Week 6 Pack - all Jillian Michaels. I find that those are less advanced than say Ripped in 30, which I also do, but do not like much. I also love Butt Bible, which is Pauline Nordine.

I have a 3 year old though and am curious how your lifestyle is most sedentary -- I can't get my daughter to stop! She does a lot of the routines with me (just dancing along the side) and we also play A LOT.

Much luck.
  • Alcoria
    Alcoria Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    the one i would suggest would be LMC (les mills combat) its awesome and effective i have also tried out 30ds and found it boring.

im also a sahm with 3 toddlers ages 5, 4 and 2 so i know how hard things can be just need to keep pushing forward and dont give up hope. also dont go by the scale measure by inches the scale gets very discouraging especially if your like me and check it every day.

hope this helps :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. That doesn't require exercise. Exercise can be part of it, and it certainly has a myriad of other benefits, but exercise is not required to lose weight.

But to your question... it doesn't matter much. Do what you enjoy and what you think you can stick with. Do you have stairs in your house? Walk up them 10 or 20 times. It could be as simple as that. Your treadmill is fine if you like it. 30DS is good too.

Progress is far more about the effort you give than it is the workout you choose to do. Work hard, eat right and you'll be golden.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i would put serious thought into buying an adjustable kettlebell.
    much bigger benefit from something like i beleive.

Its ok to start out with something like 30ds or whatever for a short time to help condition yourself to exercise etc, but to ensure you maintain your lean body mass as you lose the fat pounds you'll need to take a more resistance based approach.

I note that you stay at home with your son, so i get you cant head out to a gym every day. Hence the kettlebell.
    If you get an adjustable kettlebell (it goes from 8kg to 32kg) you'l be able to progress your training, get stronger (which is never going to be a bad thing - especially when needing to pick up the young fella, or hell pick up anything and carry it being that you are a mum!)

Its all easy to learn and combines cardio and resistance training in one workout...i do suggest following something like the crossfit technique videos or a guy called Pavel pavel tsatsouline. and not the ****ty home shopping guys...
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I started 30DS when I weighed my max, @ 192 lbs. Just modify what you can't keep up with and you will do just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    oh and you weigh 196lbs o dont go putting yourself through a 1200 cal per day diet...it wont work (well it will, for a while, then it will stall). work out what you need each day to maintain your weight, then eat 20% below it. include your exercise calories.
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    If I can do it, anyone can!
    I'm 44, recently quit smoking, and have been so sedentary, except for say walking the mall or playing catch with my boys... for the last 20 years!
    The first few days were ROUGH, but it got easier. I did have to modify a little bit to accommodate an apparently still healing serious ankle injury, but I'm still getting a great work out. I'd try it and commit to at least 5 days. If after 5, you still think you can't handle it, table it for a while until you feel ready to try again.
  • untogether01
    Options
    I was doing 1200 cal/day, but I did the TDEE calculation and it says I should be closer to 1550.

I've been doing loads of things wrong though: cheat days once a week, alcohol on weekends, eating a lot of processed "diet" foods, etc.

I really feel ready to make the "lifestyle" change and stop "dieting".

Thanks for all your advice- I'm going to go for it-- especially because I can do the 30DS while my little guy is having lunch in his high chair- in case I need a nap during nap time! Haha
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    I was doing 1200 cal/day, but I did the TDEE calculation and it says I should be closer to 1550.

I've been doing loads of things wrong though: cheat days once a week, alcohol on weekends, eating a lot of processed "diet" foods, etc.

I really feel ready to make the "lifestyle" change and stop "dieting".

Thanks for all your advice- I'm going to go for it-- especially because I can do the 30DS while my little guy is having lunch in his high chair- in case I need a nap during nap time! Haha

YAY! You can do it! And do Level 1 for as long as you feel you need to. Moving to Level 2 after 10 days is a suggestion, but if you're not ready, you're not ready!
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I started out walking. After I'd lost some weight and become a bit more fit, I got a kettlebell, as I was super interested in that. I think my husband expected that kettlebell to end up as an expensive door stop, but he was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I went crazy with that thing, lost a bunch more weight, and then got back to barbell training. I still swing my kettlebells daily, and have added two heavier bells to my collection.

The workout you should be doing is one you can do and feel good about--something you're interested in and enjoy. That's the best! :drinker: