A Huge (clothing) Purge!!

Options
I've lost 20lbs total from my weight of about 14 months ago - my clothes no longer fit. I had purchased a really nice wardrobe (Think 3-5 Grand at Express) for a new job and was a clothes hog in general, which almost made me not want to lose weight - it would all go to waste!!

Well, I've ripped off that band aid, the clothes don't fit - BUT I'm selling them all AND using the money I earn to buy a new, albeit smaller (in both size and quantity) appropriately sized wardrobe. This will be the first time EVER in my life that I will be getting rid of my wardrobe because it is TOO BIG!! Exciting, but sad to get rid of all the clothes I loved. :cry:

v7txy0.jpg
Not quite cat, try 8, maybe even a size 6 soon!!

Replies

• DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Congrats! Think of all the fun you'll have shopping! :love:
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Can you have some of the more expensive pieces altered/taken in by a seamstress?
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same situation! Congrats!

I'll be taking almost my entire wardrobe to consignment and hopefully it'll help me get some much needed work clothes! :D
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have just gone into the next size down and i am still shrinking and am finding it tough to keep on top of. I had 2 weeks off work and i put my work pants on the day before i went back to work and they fell off me (literally) So i rushed out to the charity shop and bought a pair for £5. When i hit my goal i will buy a nice expensive wardrobe full as my reward but till then i am buying 2nd hand and borrowing from friends to tide me over. Purging clothes of any size is against my religion. Worse STILL my feet have shrank 1 shoe size. HEARTBREAKING in a kinda good way. I will have to just be happy at going out with my friends while they wear my beautiful shoes!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have just gone into the next size down and i am still shrinking and am finding it tough to keep on top of. I had 2 weeks off work and i put my work pants on the day before i went back to work and they fell off me (literally) So i rushed out to the charity shop and bought a pair for £5. When i hit my goal i will buy a nice expensive wardrobe full as my reward but till then i am buying 2nd hand and borrowing from friends to tide me over. Purging clothes of any size is against my religion. Worse STILL my feet have shrank 1 shoe size. HEARTBREAKING in a kinda good way. I will have to just be happy at going out with my friends while they wear my beautiful shoes!

My feet have shrunk a half of size as well...but there are so many cute shoes out now!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thrift store is a great way to patch wardrobe holes while changing sizes. Fun to purge as you get smaller. Good job.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am still shocked and kinda giggling at me having fat feet!!!!
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Edited for stupidity...

Way to go on your weight loss!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    hehehe, LOVE the cat picture! and congrats on the weight-loss! So sorry to see so many clothes go, but I bet it's a good feeling for you! Hope you're able to sell what you can to help with a new wardrobe!
  • isefluffy44
    isefluffy44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A really good seamstress who could alter your beautiful clothes is cheaper than buying all new ones. Eventually you will have to get rid of them, I'm sure. But good work. Motivates me.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a size 16 to a size 10 and my goal is to lose a few more sizes (not sure how many). I've purged my wardrobe repeatedly, but it's so hard to stay on top of! Now that the seasons are changing, it's getting more obvious -- all the smaller clothes I bought were for winter. Today it's sunny and warm so I'm wearing one of my old XL shirts (I'm a small or medium in this brand now) and it's really clear that the shirt's not the right size. It's not a bad problem to have, at all, but I'm looking forward to having a wardrobe I can rely on :)

Congrats on your loss!!
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well done! I've been going through the same process. I've lost 20lbs since joining MFP in January, and just over 30 in total since February last year (I guess the calorie counting works better than all the other diets I've been on!!)... and recently had to take 10 jackets to the local charity shop because they were just too big on me. On the plus side, I've "resurrected" a few old skirts from about six years ago (never throw away the good stuff!) and the same with some jackets which really are "as new". Plus, I bought four jackets recently, to treat myself :-)

A few dresses have just gone to eBay (and are selling, yeaaay so so money back). I'd love to have had them altered, but the jackets are almost impossible to do and with other stuff, well, it can be just as cost-effective to buy new. And, of course, it's always a treat to get new stuff...

Today I'm wearing a resurrected jacket and skirt, and had comments about them both!
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First off I want to thank God that I'm a guy because I don't need a 3-5K dollar wardrobe! LOL. Seriously, I guess I'm lucky because I can get away with a couple of pair of jeans and a half dozen polo shirts for work (no suits and other expensive accessories). Unless I'm forced to, I'm not going to buy any dress clothes until I get really close to my goal weight. So, for a couple hundred bucks every few months I can re-outfit myself and send some pretty nice, lightly used clothes to charity.
  • isefluffy44
    isefluffy44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You really made me laugh. Thanks for that. Most of us do not go out & buy a 3-5K wardrobe, Eric. But women probably do have a harder time than men. I hated reading about the shoe size loss. I don't want to do that as I have shoes I love. But then again, don't women always buy too many shoes? I do. Wondering if you have lost a shoe size or two? For now, I have dresses and capris I can grow "down" into so I won't have to shop for awhile. And congrats to you for your great job of losing weight. My hubby says he'll give me $500 for clothes when I reach my goal; then I'll find another $500 from here & there (shhh, don't tell him) and I should be pretty set.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!!! Weight loss that is...not the clothes. Try shopping my favorite designer....Clearance! (that's what my granddaughter says). I've bought pants/skirts/tops from New York and Company for $10 a piece. Kohl's has great clearances also...I've gotten pants there anywhere from $3 to $8!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem... Tons of (expensive) pencil skirts, dress tops and dress pants all in size 12's & XL's. I'm thinking that these are a little large to be taken in, I'm now a 4 and XS top :frown:

I think I would need the best seamstress in the entire world to fix my old clothes.

Edited to add: I've been hitting the sales racks at TJ Maxx and JCPennys recently. Scored about 3 garbage-bag sized bags full of dressy/casual clothes at JCP for around $110 about 3 weeks ago. Most things were under $8 :bigsmile:
  • siewekegirl
    siewekegirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I literally took 3/4 of my wardrobe to a plus size consignment store this weekend and bought a few pairs of khakis and capris to.get me through spring. it is a great feeling to toss out the.old and get some new (even if it was old to someone else!) . congrats on your weight loss!
  • MeganGable
    MeganGable Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Girl, there are better clothes to come, I AM SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!
  • ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    Can you have some of the more expensive pieces altered/taken in by a seamstress?

I'm looking into this for some of my favorite jeans - special printed or studded - I'll see how much it costs... :ohwell:
  • ThePinkAlligator
    Options

Lol, that's very charitable of you - giving your beautiful shoes to your friends! I'm not buying too many pieces yet (mainly workout), but I know that my final weight is 5-10 lbs off, so I'm getting closer! I'll purchase new jeans and pants once I hit my final size and have earned some money from the clothes I've sold off!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!