Salad dressing?

Options

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    i never use low cal dressings, I do not like the taste and I think that they use a lot of chemical fillers. So I have two tricks. The first one sounds dumb but really works for me. I put the dressing on the side, dip my fork tines into the dressing before i take a bite of salad so that with each bite I get a bit of dressing. Dressing goes far this way! The other method was taught to me by a personal trainer: Take your favourite creamy dressing, place into bowl, In a food processor put equal amount of cottage cheese and blitz to smooth finish. Combine both well in a bowl. You can use this as a dip or dressing. You can add back some of the dressing to bring the taste up to your personal taste. This method cuts the calories, trims the fat, does not jeopardize rich taste and adds healthy calcium and a protein to your daily diet!
    Both sound like great ideas! The fork trick I've tried and love it! The other one is new to me and sounds intriguing, can't wait to try it out:wink::bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone for all the new ideas!
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    A few different popular flavors of dressing (ranch, blue cheese, etc) are now being offered as a yogurt-based dressing which has reduced calories. But the absolute best thing to do is use a vinaigrette. Light zesty italian dressing is only a couple of calories per tsp as opposed to ranch which can be about 40 per tsp, depending on brand, etc.

The thing about "lite" dressing is that when the manufacturer takes out some of the fat, they put in sugar instead. So it's really not as good for you as they would have you believe.

I looove ranch, on chicken, sandwiches, salads, etc... But if you're serious about cutting calories then go for the balsamic vinegar and the like.
    The Bolthouse yogurt-based dressings are low-fat and have no added sugar. The blue cheese has only 50 calories for 2 tablespoons. I use half a tablespoon on my salad, so that's a whopping 12.5 calories. Not too shabby in my book.
    mm I'll have to say I've never actually craved 'dressing' before but looking forward to trying the Bolthouse yogurt ones you're sharing about PJilly .:laugh: :drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger... 18 cals per Tbsp. Very flavorful!!! Love it!
  • nuttyp
    nuttyp Posts: 2
    Options
    It's been brought to my attention that most bottles dressings are made with oils that your body holds on to. Even low fat/calorie dressings can make you store the bad fat from these harmful oils. I've been using only olive oil and lemon with some added spices in my salads, if you like avocado, it adds flavor. Natural is best for the body, and the body will flush the fat from olive oil and avocados, I've lost 9 lbs in 1 1/2 weeks from eating a more natural diet, no processed foods, and counting my calories on myfitnesspal.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, I looked at all the salad dressings trying to find one that was lower in calories and sodium. I noticed that my Italian dressing was 430g of sodium per serving defeating the healthy point of eating a salad. I found certain kinds of litehouse dressings had the best mixture of low calories and lower sodium than the rest of the dressings in the store (even in the health food section). I'm currently using Tangy Orange Citrus 45 cal, 10 carbs, and 150g sodium.
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette has 30 calories in 2 tablespoons,

I like Maple Groves Farm Fat free also. I use the Balsamic Vinagrette - 5 cals per 2 tablespoons!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You are sooooooo much better off making your own! Just make a big bottle and keep it in the fridge! This one is about 70-80 calories per 2 tablespoons, and healthy with nothing artificial!

Garlic/Italian dressing
    4 tablespoons EVOO
    6-8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (depending on how much you like vinegar)
    juice of one lemon
    fresh basil to your liking (if you have, or just the dried would work fine)
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    fresh garlic to your liking

Blend all in a blender/magic bullet and you're ready to enjoy!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette has 30 calories in 2 tablespoons,

this one is yummy too!!

The Balsamic Vinaigrette Sugar Free of Maple Grove has 0 calories and the Sugar Free Raspberry has 5 calories per serving
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette!

My lifesaver, & only 5 calories for 2 tablespoons! Tastes awesome!
  • AlexandraNK
    AlexandraNK Posts: 54
    Options
    You are sooooooo much better off making your own! Just make a big bottle and keep it in the fridge! This one is about 70-80 calories per 2 tablespoons, and healthy with nothing artificial!

Garlic/Italian dressing
    4 tablespoons EVOO
    6-8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (depending on how much you like vinegar)
    juice of one lemon
    fresh basil to your liking (if you have, or just the dried would work fine)
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    fresh garlic to your liking

Blend all in a blender/magic bullet and you're ready to enjoy!

OMG that sounds so so good! I love making my own but the calories from the oil scared the crap out of me yesterday!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, that's why I dillute with more vinegar...also keep in mind a serving size is 2 tbsp - I use the little medicine cups that come with kids' medicine because those are 2 tablespoons exactly filled to the top. :) Olive oil is really the best fat you can have also.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    Also, 2 tablespoons is a LOT. I use a quarter of that amount, and especially with a vinaigrette, it's easy to make a little go a long way.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For a change, I use fresh salsa instead of salad dressing- the one I recently bought is 5 calories for 2 Tbsp. I also found a mango and roasted red pepper salsa that is great on salad, especially when i add cooked chicken. This one has a few more calories- 20 for 1 Tbsp but is also a nice change.
  • horse11322
    horse11322 Posts: 10
    Options
    I use Litehouse (found in the Fridge section by the bagged lettuce) it's a pomegranate Blueberry Vinaigrette -Great Flavor and only 25 Calories fro 2 Tbsp.
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use the Wishbone Spritzers...1 calorie per spritz! The Balsamic Vinaigrette is great, and the Raspberry Bliss. The Honey Mustard Vinaigrette is great, too!

Love those :)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I only like Ranch dressing...so I knew I would have a problem. I was looking through the store and near the veggie section I found Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ranch dressing. I was surprised that it's really good and if you watch your portions it's not too bad for you.
    2 tbsp
    calories 70
    total fat 6 grams
    and It comes in a variety of flavors !

Totally bragging, but I live in the city where bolthouse farms is(and my dad deliver propane to them even) and one of my friends works there that has a huge crush on me and he knows i love the juices so he will get me juices from there from time to time to i guess barter for my affection haha....but hey, a girls gotta have her yummy juice!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    LEMON JUICE! don't knock it til you've tried it. i'm so serious this has worked wonders for me - i hate salad.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I recently found an excellent dressing at Trader Joe's. It is called Trader Giotto's balsamic vinaigrette. It is tasty!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Presidents Choice Blue Menu makes the best – all super low cal, their Blue Menu line is huge now, thousands of items and for once, its something Canada has, actually ONLY Canada has it, wooo! I always buy Caesar since that’s the only one we’ll finish before it expires to make Chicken Caesar Salad for dinner every couple weeks. It has 45 calories and tastes the best! I’ve made it for potluck at work also, people love it.

I also make my own low-cal pesto with it. ½ bunch basil, 1 tbsp Caesar dressing, 1 clove garlic, combine in a Euro Chopper or Slap-Chop type of product or even food processor but its only 2-3 tbsp of fresh pesto, that’s too big of a dish to wash ;)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Mix together some plain nonfat yogurt, plain mustard, and pure honey... for one serving, try: 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp mustard, 3 or 4 tbsp yogurt.