Exercise while sick

Hopey1994
Hopey1994 Posts: 307
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I've heard that you should only exercise with a cold if the cold is above the neck. Anyone else heard this? I've had a killer cough for a week now (the remnants of a cold I had 3 weeks ago), and it's one of those hacking, dry, lungs in my throat coughs. I went for a long walk tonight and it was killer! I don't want to stop exercising, but I think it's getting worse and should see a doctor before I work out again. Thoughts?

Replies

• afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    That is what my doctor who is a runner advises me. Of course, it is up to you depending on how severe the below the neck symptoms are.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    I'm currently getting over pneumonia & the doctor specifically said no exercise... so I'm off for another week. Going back to work tomorrow is going to be chore enough for me.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    I'd go see a doctor before doing anything strenuous... depending on what the weather is like (here it's always dry or cold or both together) you'd probably be fine to go for a light walk, but don't do a full-intensity workout without clearing it with a doctor first, just in case.

Feel better soon!!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    I'd go see a doctor before doing anything strenuous... depending on what the weather is like (here it's always dry or cold or both together) you'd probably be fine to go for a light walk, but don't do a full-intensity workout without clearing it with a doctor first, just in case.

Feel better soon!!

This sounds like really good advice. I just got over a cold myself and just didn't have the energy to exercise. But if you feel up to it, a walk is probably the best idea. Don't overdo it because the last thing your body needs when it's fighting off a virus is to be overworked with exercise as well.

Get better soon!
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Rigorous exercise may prolong your cold or sickness. You may just want to just walk which is low impact and does burn calories. I've lost all my weight by only walking and making nutrition changes.
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    I went to the doctor today...bronchitis. Yuck! Guess I'll have to take it easy for a few days.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    I went to the doctor today...bronchitis. Yuck! Guess I'll have to take it easy for a few days.

Glad you went to the doctor. Take care & don't let it turn into pneumonia.
This discussion has been closed.