Gym?

Options
So I was was wondering how many times a week you guys like to go to the gym? I am just getting started and I'm trying to decide how many times I wanna go! My friend and I are going and she wants to go 2 times per week but I think I wanted to go 5. I was thinking about going with my husband on the other days!

So how many times a week do you find to be best?

Replies

• rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I go 6 days a week. Monday and Thursday are upper body (weightlifting) Wednesday is lower body, Tuesday and Friday are high intensity interval cardio, Saturday is for moderate circuit workout, with Sunday being a 'rest' day.

Gym is close by (about 15 minutes each way if I walk, 5 minutes by car during bad weather) which helps.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    3 days/week - usually Sun/Tue/Thu
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    I go to the gym about 6 days a week as well. If I don't go to the gym, I work out at home. I also belong to 2 different gyms, a Kickboxing and Cross Fit Personal Training gym and Planet Fitness. PF on Tuesdays and Sundays (legs and arms heavy weights) and then I go between kickboxing, Cross Fit , and Yoga all the other days.

I have to remember to take more rest days. I might cut back one more day so it will be 5 total. 5 is a good number.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    5-6. A mix of fitness classes and picking heavy things up, and then putting them back down.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I go 5 times. By myself.
  • bell_Steph
    bell_Steph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've recently become a gym junkie, I go 5/6 times a week. I started with 3 days a week but I didn't see much progress. I decided to get a personal trainer for a day and see what I could be doing wrong and get new ideas for workouts, etc. Best advice this man gave me was "beat the week". So however many days you go to the gym should beat how many you don't! Just make you do what is most comfortable for you, it takes some time to get in the groove of going to the gym but soon you'll feel fabulous! :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It depends how specific you want to be. Just personally, I enjoy going ot the gym so I would go every day... but overtraining (I lift weight) can be a bad thing for progress and increase injury so I limit it to 5 days a week then two rest days. I'm not currently doing cardio because then I would have to eat more (strength training nutrition stuff). If I was, I would probably go 7 days a week.

If you're going to be lifing weight (heavy weight, like, you're actually serious about toning and not looking to waste time) you should look at 3 day or 5 day programs (I can help you).

Otherwise, if you're just looking to do some cardio and crunches, take classes, etc... then you can go as much as you like. Have fun with it.
    5-6. A mix of fitness classes and picking heavy things up, and then putting them back down.

ROFL, in a nutshell.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5 days a week and am in gym at least 3 of those for lifting. The other two will either be at the gym or outside for a run depending on the weather and timing.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I travel to the gym at least three days a week. The days I don't make the hour trip, I work out at home or outside, still trying to maintain a couple of rest or light days for recovery. Us old gals need the recovery time!! I also consume less calories on the rest days!!! :happy:
  • robpbeachbod
    Options
    i'm a home gym with workout video kinda guy - 5-6 days a week for me! love it!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    6 days a week ......
  • lillauraloo
    Options
    i aim to go at least 3 times.... every other day if i can but i know if i push myself too much i know i will end up not going at all for ages! If that makes any sense at all....
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't stepped foot inside a gym in about 4 years...
  • mikel_antilles
    mikel_antilles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym 5ish days a week. I try and eat right, but I still don't do it 100% clean and without the exercie, I gain weight.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    sadly i play it by ear. the winder was bad,, months without. been there twice this week but didn't feel like it today, so I took a walk instead, with the theory that something is better than nothing. 200some calories as opposed to maybe 400 if I'd gone and rode the elliptical. weights are another story. damn I gotta get on that...more seriously
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just recently started out going to the gym but I have been going like 4-5/week and the days I dont go we have a Wii at my house and some fitness games I use to use for like 30mins...(some exercise is better than none!)
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Twice a Day Monday through Friday... 5 am & Noon ... Saturday morning ... and Tuesday & Friday evenings and Sunday mornings to help train my girlfriend, she does the news rules of lifting for woman program so I go for moral support and as a spotter.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    6 days a week:

Monday and Wednesday - cardio / abs
    Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - weight lifting
    Friday - Meet with my PT, we do crossfit and/or tabata type training.

I do have a gym partner as dedicated and obsessed as I am, which helps! Honestly, once I started seeing real results I became addicted! It's also a social outlet for me...the same regulars are in the gym 5 - 6 days a week with me in the mornings, and we've all become "fitness friends" of sorts. Makes working out fun~!
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Before I got injured I was typically going 5 days a week to run and lift. Now I'm going 3 days a week for about 30-45 minutes but just lifting because I can't run.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You should ditch your husband and go with me instead.

I go 5 days a week.

I have plenty of stamina if that's at all an issue.