Ingredients:

◾1 (19-oz) can chickpeas, well drained, rinsed and patted dry
◾olive oil spray
◾1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or more to taste
◾1/8 tsp. garlic powder, or more to taste
◾1/4 tsp. dried oregano, or more to taste
◾coarse salt to taste

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place chickpeas on cookie sheet and bake, shaking every now and then until golden brown and crunchy - about 35-40 minutes.
2.Pour fresh-from-the-oven chickpeas into a large bowl. Lightly coat with olive oil spray. Add cayenne, garlic powder, oregano and salt. Toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately or let cool completely before storing in a resealable container. ENJOY!!

Replies

• back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump for later i am going to try these.

Thanks
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    that sounds yummy! what's the consistency like after they've been baked? how long do they last to store them? ever tried it with any other sort of bean, like black beans?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've got a tin of chickpeas in the cupboard, they won't know what's hit 'em! Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have garlic salt and truffle flavoured olive oil spray so I think I'm going to have to try this.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting :) I've tried these before but I've never made them, they're a great little snack!
  • timeforsomethingsweet
    timeforsomethingsweet Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump bump...thanks friend!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is one of my recent pinterest Nailed Its. As in, I tried one of the recipes floating around on Pinterest and it sucked. My beans turned out simultaneously grainy and chewy -- not at all the crunchy little delights I had hoped for.

I actually cook a lot, so I should have trusted my instincts about the recipe (which called for seasoning the beans before baking, and a lower oven temp).

Bumping this for later so I can try again following your instructions (which make a LOT more sense...).

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP: Have any of you tried using dried garbanzos? I've always used canned, but am getting away from this entirely to better control my sodium intake. I have some dried garbanzos at home and assume they're prepared just like any other dried bean with a sorting, pre-soak, and boil.

Thanks for sharing!
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love these!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    bump, sounds great. I always love spicy nuts but almost every recipe I see has some sweet factor to them.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This is one of my recent pinterest Nailed Its. As in, I tried one of the recipes floating around on Pinterest and it sucked. My beans turned out simultaneously grainy and chewy -- not at all the crunchy little delights I had hoped for.

I actually cook a lot, so I should have trusted my instincts about the recipe (which called for seasoning the beans before baking, and a lower oven temp).

Bumping this for later so I can try again following your instructions (which make a LOT more sense...).

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP: Have any of you tried using dried garbanzos? I've always used canned, but am getting away from this entirely to better control my sodium intake. I have some dried garbanzos at home and assume they're prepared just like any other dried bean with a sorting, pre-soak, and boil.

Thanks for sharing!

I use garbonzo beans in my chili and prep them the same as the other beans - sort, soak, cook.
  • Julia6633
    Julia6633 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    These sound great! Going to try them soon.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have tried doing this with out success the flavor was good I used paprika the consistency left a lot too be desired..

RE using dry beans I rarely use canned the dry are so easy make, contain less sodium and don't have that unpleasant tinny
    taste..

going to try the op's recipe asap...
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Yum :heart:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Throw them in a salad like this, they are delicious!
  • monna32
    monna32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To ensure that the roasted chickpeas resembles nuts you need to ensure that you dry it properly before roasting - I toss them in a bowl on paper towel..... once dry then into the oven :) taste as nuts :)
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hey I have actually done this. And yes make sure it is dry. Either use a paper towel or air dry it.

It reminds me of corn nuts, but better cause it's made with love.
  • amperl8
    amperl8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing!
    Yep--same sort of prep as any other dried bean. They freeze well, too. I do a large batch, then divide up to freeze some (and roast some). I dry mine, toss with olive oil, kosher salt, and nutritional yeast before roasting at a high temp (400 or a bit more). Then, I usually eat the whole freaking batch.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump-thanks!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bump