Strength training with no weights?

Options

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eh, if you do the right Yoga, you can build quite a bit of muscle.

Do yoga like this, in the presence of a calorie surplus, and you WILL gain muscle mass:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loszrEZvS_k

Now THAT's awesome. Interesting - no a hint of a six pack but undoubtedly a strong core. I am working towards hand and headstands without kicking up as shown in this video.

Also - for those intersted in a good solid power style full yoga routine; try Mark Gonzales:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi93EIHx5o
    She also has a healthy amount of body fat, which would contribute to not seeing her abs fully. I'm stuck with the same vague line going down my front. And I just saw the video of her earlier, how absolutely gorgeous! We also do not know if her only training is yoga. And as a person who is into yoga, there's definitely core involved, but her legs and arms did most of that work. I just saw this video earlier, it has me inspired to lift weights to get my leg and arm strength up quicker lol.

Strength from weight lifting does not translate into that sort of work very well at all. Moving objects is very different than moving yourself. The more advanced you become at either, the more true this is.

There is a ton of crossover between yoga and gymnastics, gymnastics does seem to have a more defined progression system for strength gain. Either way, to get strong enough to do that sort of work, do that sort of work.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, download Nike Training Club.

You can pick your goal, and what level you are, and it gives you a routine to do. They are all timed and has videos/descriptions if yo don't know what an exercise is.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Going up into a handstand without kicking up (called a handstand press) requires a ton of shoulder and core strength or extreme shoulder and compression/pancake flexibility (even then, its still frickin hard). If you can't really stack yourself up near perectly vertical (forget touching your toes, flatpalming between your heels), it gets difficult fast.

Your average dude will find a handstand press every bit as difficult as a 1x BW overhead press, if not harder if flexibility is a serious issue.

i'm not even close to being able to do one, and I can bang out 10 handstand pushups without issue.
    I could do a head stand no problem without kicking up doing exactly as she did, very slowly, legs to gut. Even as a puny puny weakling.
    558756_10152755408510607_132076792_n.jpg
  • CoderGal
    Options

Do yoga like this, in the presence of a calorie surplus, and you WILL gain muscle mass:

Now THAT's awesome. Interesting - no a hint of a six pack but undoubtedly a strong core. I am working towards hand and headstands without kicking up as shown in this video.

Also - for those intersted in a good solid power style full yoga routine; try Mark Gonzales:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi93EIHx5o
    She also has a healthy amount of body fat, which would contribute to not seeing her abs fully. I'm stuck with the same vague line going down my front. And I just saw the video of her earlier, how absolutely gorgeous! We also do not know if her only training is yoga. And as a person who is into yoga, there's definitely core involved, but her legs and arms did most of that work. I just saw this video earlier, it has me inspired to lift weights to get my leg and arm strength up quicker lol.

Strength from weight lifting does not translate into that sort of work very well at all. Moving objects is very different than moving yourself. The more advanced you become at either, the more true this is.

There is a ton of crossover between yoga and gymnastics, gymnastics does seem to have a more defined progression system for strength gain. Either way, to get strong enough to do that sort of work, do that sort of work.
    I'll let you know how it works out
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Going up into a handstand without kicking up (called a handstand press) requires a ton of shoulder and core strength or extreme shoulder and compression/pancake flexibility (even then, its still frickin hard). If you can't really stack yourself up near perectly vertical (forget touching your toes, flatpalming between your heels), it gets difficult fast.

Your average dude will find a handstand press every bit as difficult as a 1x BW overhead press, if not harder if flexibility is a serious issue.

i'm not even close to being able to do one, and I can bang out 10 handstand pushups without issue.
    I could do a head stand no problem without kicking up doing exactly as she did, very slowly, legs to gut. Even as a puny puny weakling.

jealous :love:
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    chair dips, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, chin ups, squats, lunges (assisted if need be) are all good starting body weight exercises
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Learn how to do pushups and pullups (you can do inverted ones till you're stronger) first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Nobody really disputes that gymnasts can build muscle; there is an awful lot of crossover between gymnastics and yoga.

Basic beginners yoga though, not so much.

methinks you're conflating strength gains with muscle mass gains.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    With nothing but a pullup bar you can do GREAT strength training routine that is 100% bodyweight based. But you have to not be afraid to progress as you get stronger to moves that are not only more strength intensive, but also more balance/coordination intensive.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Read either Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will introduce you to the weights and exercises you should be doing. It will give you a routine to begin with. It will give you the confidence to walk into your gym knowing that you have a plan that you will carry out.

I totally agree! Just finishing up stage 2 of NROLFW and I have lost over 6 inches off waist/stomach and hips.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I've put on 10lbs of muscle doing yoga every day. It uses your own body weight to build muscle.

SeemsLegit1_zpseb2e59b9.gif

There is no need to be snide, immediately. Having a bad day, are we?
    If she says she has begun doing yoga and she has gained 10 pounds of muscle, how can you prove it is not related?

Building muscle is incredibly difficult, even harder for a woman. Building 10lbs of muscle lifting heavy weights without roids would be a challenge, doing it using yoga is quite honestly unbelievable. Feel free to do some research before criticising people who are correct in their disbelief. :noway:

You have no idea where she started. Ten pounds of muscle in someone who was sedentary and eating junk isn't all that amazing. Well, at least the measurements show that because the don't take into account changing bone density.

Now, ten pounds of muscle in someone who was already working out, that is another story.

Further more, that research stuff you were talking about does show impressive strength and LBM gains through yoga.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    [ img ]

jealous :love:
    Me to, I haven't tried it in a while :laugh:
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    A great site for body weight exercises and instructions on how to do the various exercises that people talk about is:

Al Kavadoi's website "We're Working Out" - he is very informative and has great step by step instructions. He also has stuff that gets really advanced.

http://www.alkavadlo.com/
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    You could always start with core training or do planks, lunges, squats, and crunches. Try a 10 Lbs dumbbell (meant for a single hand) and use both hands to do a bicep curl. Better yet, google a beginner workout guide.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I've put on 10lbs of muscle doing yoga every day. It uses your own body weight to build muscle.

If she says she has begun doing yoga and she has gained 10 pounds of muscle, how can you prove it is not related?

Building muscle is incredibly difficult, even harder for a woman. Building 10lbs of muscle lifting heavy weights without roids would be a challenge, doing it using yoga is quite honestly unbelievable. Feel free to do some research before criticising people who are correct in their disbelief. :noway:

You have no idea where she started. Ten pounds of muscle in someone who was sedentary and eating junk isn't all that amazing. Well, at least the measurements show that because the don't take into account changing bone density.

Now, ten pounds of muscle in someone who was already working out, that is another story.

Further more, that research stuff you were talking about does show impressive strength and LBM gains through yoga.

Please point me to these studies/research because I couldn't find any that had actually proof not just hearsay. And 10lbs of muscle is what a beginner (woman) doing a proper training plan and eating at a surplus could hope to gain in one year, and is very amazing - it takes dedication and hard work. I never said yoga didn't show impressive strength gains, I actually said it did (feel free to read all the thread before commenting) but it does not build 10lbs of muscle.

Even the person I was talking about admitted she had not proof it was actually muscle. She just lost some inches but gained weight and assumed it was all muscle.

Edit: this has been discussed and finished with earlier. I will not derail the ops thread further - feel free to start a new thread if you want.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Science_zpsb59a9737.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

:love: :flowerforyou:
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    1.) Pushups
    2.) Pull-ups Assisted or not
    3.) Burpees
    4.) Try some resistance bands and do curls,
    5.) More resistance bands, you can work shoulders, triceps, back, legs, etc, etc.
    6.) renegade row: From a pushup position pull dumbbells up one at a time.
    7.) Somebody already mentioned yoga.
    8.) etc, etc... There are a ton of body weight exercises.

Recommend you go to youtube and search for jcav24. tons of videos.
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    TRX system is pretty darn good. Try that!

www.trxtraining.com
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Nobody really disputes that gymnasts can build muscle; there is an awful lot of crossover between gymnastics and yoga.

Basic beginners yoga though, not so much.

methinks you're conflating strength gains with muscle mass gains.

Strength gains in the presense of a calorie surplus will results in muscle mass gains. Especially when high set volume is used for the strength gains, or high set volume is periodized with ultralow rep/hold time work.

There is no special subset of strength exercises that cause muscle mass gains.