How do you push past discouragement?

Options
Having a frustrating week...what do you do when you're feeling really discouraged through this process?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Maye it is silly, but I find that lots of postive self talk is beneficial for those times (you can do this, it is a process that takes time, you know you are doing everything right so you just need to be patient, etc., etc., etc.).

Just keep at it and it will pass!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Look at the success stories on this forum. You then see the benefit of sticking with it.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER :drinker:
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That is a good question i. Like to know also i been way to down
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Go to a cancer rehabilitation clinic. You'll see how they overcome discouragement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well, just know that everyone has good and bad weeks. You have to just know that they will come and go. Consistency is the key. It's taking pride in the small accomplishments and not the scale. For me, I love sweets. LOVE LOVE LOVE! When I can chose a healthier option over an ice cream (say an apple), then I feel good. I know that in the long run, those small victories lead to the one I want. You will be your own worst enemy. I tell myself this..."I know that I can have it, but I don't want it.". It's a mindset. Some days all you can do is just eat healthy. Progress is progress no matter how slow! You can do it!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I go into rational mode:

I know that cardio and resistance training benefits my body.

I know that good food nourishes.

I know that a caloric deficit over time will eventually result in weight loss.

So regardless of how I FEEL that week, I know my decisions that I have been making are worth continuing to make, even if things stall out, or I feel gross, or whatever. So I just rely on the head knowledge for a while, and acknowledge that I won't always feel like I'm making headway.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Think about how you would feel if you gave up. No matter how bad or frustrated you feel now, you'll feel 100% worse if you threw in the towel now!

You know if you keep going you'll suceed and feel great.
  • Saucytee
    Saucytee Posts: 31
    Options
    I just whine. Lol! After the whining, I get encouragement from my friends, from God's word, from my husband. All of you and your stories have been such an encouragement to me!
  • amariecruz89
    amariecruz89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all :) I need to be patient ha

Saucytee your response was awesome lol You're right . I think one of the reasons I've been frustrated is because my friends that have been working with me have been distracted the past few weeks from working out and accountability....and I just saw a picture of me from easter that was kind of discouraging. Those are the times I need to remember how much I've accomplished and that I am so much more than what I weigh...Awe, thanks, I'm glad we can encourage one another!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have a fitblr on tumblr - a fitness and healthy eating blog: princesspressups.tumblr.com

I follow lots of fitblrs and body positive tumblrs on there, and scrolling over my dashboard on tumblr never fails to inspire!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Not a moment of retreat, not an instance of surrender. Tomorrow is not promised to you. Fight for your future!