Runners--got a question-

Options
I am not a die hard runner, but I like to run 2-3 miles at least three times a week. I am in pretty decent shape- but what happens when i am running is that my hands feel like they are on fire...they start to itch and burn like I put them in an ant hole. It goes away by the end of my run, but lasts for probably 15-30 minutes. Does anyone else out there have this happen to them? And if so, what do you do about it? Or is it something I should rush to the doctor for? (which is probably not going to happen...just saying)

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Bump it :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hm, I've never had it happen running but when it's really hot and humid out, my hands will get tingly. Could be a blood pressure issue? Usually once I cool down it gets better. Make sure you're well hydrated.

I did a quick google and saw a blurb about how some meds can cause exercise induced reactions (not sure but due to sweating/blood pressure change maybe?) so please do check with your doc if you're taking any medication.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I've never felt burning or tingling, but when our famous Houston humidity re-enters our lives (like it did the other day), my fingers will swell a bit the first few times I run in the soupy heat. And then I guess once I get used to it, the swelling stops.

I also get finger swelling when I run in the afternoon if I've had a particularly sodium-ridden day.
  • lesliesmmmacres
    Options
    Thank you for you suggestions and advice....I am always well hydrated, and I don't take any medications except vitamins. I have never had an issue with high blood pressure, in fact, I usually come in as lower blood pressure. I have noticed this in the winter and in the summer--with and without humidit (North Carolina humidity does compete with that Houston stuff). I have tried making sure I have lotion on, but it is not a chapped feeling...so maybe it is time to ask the doc.... (sooner or later....most likely the later) =)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Sounds like an allergic reaction to something, sweat maybe? I've never heard of this but I have heard of allergy reactions to exercise.
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I would occasionally get some numbness/tingling an hour or so in. When I asked my doctor (also a runner), she said it is fairly common. Apparently the pins & needles come from hands going to sleep because the muscular activity in your arms is negligible compared to your legs. She recommended just flexing hands (open palm to fist repeatedly) to improve veinous return to stop pins & needles sensation. Compression sleeves might also help.

Good Luck!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Thank you for you suggestions and advice....I am always well hydrated, and I don't take any medications except vitamins. I have never had an issue with high blood pressure, in fact, I usually come in as lower blood pressure. I have noticed this in the winter and in the summer--with and without humidit (North Carolina humidity does compete with that Houston stuff). I have tried making sure I have lotion on, but it is not a chapped feeling...so maybe it is time to ask the doc.... (sooner or later....most likely the later) =)

Are you clenching your fists when you run? Try keeping your pointer finger and your thumb barely touching like you are holding a potato chip - it exerts less energy and might keep your hands from itching.
  • lesliesmmmacres
    Options
    Sounds like an allergic reaction to something, sweat maybe? I've never heard of this but I have heard of allergy reactions to exercise.
    Unfortunetly, this happens even when there is no sweat...in fact, the closest feeling I can describe it as is when you have cold hands and you put them into too hot water....but it does go away after a short while....they do look red and irratated when this occurs.
  • lesliesmmmacres
    Options
    When I started running, I would occasionally get some numbness/tingling an hour or so in. When I asked my doctor (also a runner), she said it is fairly common. Apparently the pins & needles come from hands going to sleep because the muscular activity in your arms is negligible compared to your legs. She recommended just flexing hands (open palm to fist repeatedly) to improve veinous return to stop pins & needles sensation. Compression sleeves might also help.

Good Luck!
    That makes perfect sense...I will flex my hands and hopefully that will get all the blood flowing...or do what BflSaberfan suggested..."eat a chip" Hahahahaha
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    edit. Someone posted what I meant to reply!