Metformin experiences?

Options

Replies

• rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks, cubbies77! I always thought it was so you didn't get sick, and didn't realize about the absorption. Interesting!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks, cubbies77! I always thought it was so you didn't get sick, and didn't realize about the absorption. Interesting!

Yeah, me neither. Oops! Now I need to make sure I take it with food. I thought that was just to help with the side effects. Good thing I read that article. ;)
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    I made it through the day yesterday without any bad "experiences"! TMI, I suppose, but yay!!! :)
  • claw0416
    claw0416 Posts: 95
    Options
    I have been off and on it for a few years. I was told back in DEC that I did not have PCOS to stop taking Metformin. Finally was able to see a Endocrinolgist, who ran test, and guess what? i do have PCOS. After gaining back 30 pounds, I am not back on and having side effects I have never had. Severe leg cramps. Legs feel real weak. Not doing anything different in lifestyle. I have never experienced this one.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My mum takes metformin for her diabetes and it seems like she lives on the damn toilet but I'm sure it reacts to everyone in a different way.. so I'm going to bump this to read later :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have been off and on it for a few years. I was told back in DEC that I did not have PCOS to stop taking Metformin. Finally was able to see a Endocrinolgist, who ran test, and guess what? i do have PCOS. After gaining back 30 pounds, I am not back on and having side effects I have never had. Severe leg cramps. Legs feel real weak. Not doing anything different in lifestyle. I have never experienced this one.

I'd talk to your doctor about the leg cramps. If you haven't added any different exercises, the leg cramps could be a side effect of something (not necessarily the medication).
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Claw0416, could it be low potassium? If you've been having any GI issues that might lead to dehydration, that could do it, too. Definitely checking with your doctor would be a good plan!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I was originally prescribed 2000 mg daily, to be ramped up over a month or so. Only had gastro problems in the first week or two. After losing 10% of my body weight my HA!C was quite good, and GP advised me to start experimenting with reducing the dosage. Am currently on 1000mg and my blood glucose is usually 4.7-5.4 fasting or two hours after meals. Will probably try reducing to 500mg next week.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My experiences? Holy poop. Thank God my office was across from the bathroom. I had to stop when I changed jobs b/c there was no way I could leave a case to run to the bathroom like I had been able to before!
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    How bad are your GI symptoms? You can lose a lot of electrolytes when you get diarrhea, and metformin will certainly cause quickening of the GI system!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    glad to see that someone mentioned the XR version. I have not heard that the XR version does not work as well as the regular version. Most of my clients do tolerate taking this medicine after eating/full stomach and a slow titration up to desired dose is also recommended. As a nurse/CDE (certified diabetes educator) I would love to recommend that you meet with an educator. also - check out the american diabetes association website for lots of great information! As you lose weight, your body will function better and with exercise you will gain more receptors to allow better passage of insulin/glucose.

As you lose weight and become more active - your dose of metformin ay need to be adjusted/lowered:smile::smile: :smile:
  • jbum68
    jbum68 Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been on 500mg/day for almost 2 months now. So far I haven't experienced any stomach or bathroom issues. A friend is on a much higher dose and did experience the bathroom side effects. Right now, I put my weight loss down to eating right and exercising. I did the same plan as I'm doing now and lost weight at the same rate. I know my blood test came back with an 89 from 115. He may be taking me off it but that'll be figured out in another month.
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Today is the day I move up to two pills for a total of 1,000 mg(or whatevers) on my way to 2,000 in two more weeks. Hopefully it will go well! :)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    My experiences? Holy poop. Thank God my office was across from the bathroom. I had to stop when I changed jobs b/c there was no way I could leave a case to run to the bathroom like I had been able to before!
    For most people, the bathroom issues eventually pass. That sucks, though...
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think you might be okay with just the cereal and milk. Milk is effective at absorbing medicine, and pill bottles sometimes say, "Take with food or milk". You don't have to eat a ton. :) Granted, I take the XR version, so you may find you need more food on your tummy.

Milk and I don't get along along but I do love it, nothing goes with pb&j or chocolate chips cookies better, but those are indulgences. My doctor is "forcing" me to take naproxin for a foot issue and it kills my stomach so I tried taking it with kefir. It really helped with the stomach side effects and since it's 99% lactose free I don't have any lactose problems, it's thicker than milk so coats your stomach well i guess. I wonder if it would work on my occasional nighttime heartburn?
  • claw0416
    claw0416 Posts: 95
    Options
    Actually GI issues aren't really there. I get a little queasy, but not bad. No real bad bathroom runs, periodically, but could be worse. I am thinking it is potassium, and Magnesium, I have been low in the past. Waiting on doctor to call back.
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Claw0416, keep us updated! :)
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Well, so far the pattern seems to be that the second day after I bump up the amount is the worst. I felt horrible for most of the day. I kept feeling overheated, and had those tippy, foggy, "I haven't eaten in way too long" feelings, even though I had eaten. Maybe it's pushing my blood sugar lower than I'm used to, so I feel odd?