Military Fitness Evaluation

Recently, the Canadian Armed Forces has changed the way members' fitness is evaluated. The new program (called FORCE, due to our love of acronyms) includes four test components, each of which is directly linked to physical demands that CAF members may encounter on operations. The FORCE Evaluation predicts CAF members’ ability to perform the six common military tasks using simple simulations and minimal equipment. The six common military tasks are:

1. Escape to cover;
2. Pickets and wire carry;
3. Sandbag fortification;
4. Picking and digging;
5. Vehicle extrication (of a casualty); and
6. Stretcher carry.

The FORCE Evaluation consists of:

1. Sandbag Lift - ​30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kg sandbag to a height above 91.5 cm, alternating between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 m. Standard - 3 mins 30 secs;
2. Intermittent Loaded Shuttles - Using the 20 m lines, complete ten shuttles (1 shuttle = 20 m there, 20 m back), alternating between a loaded shuttle with a 20 kg sandbag and an unloaded shuttle, for a total of 400 m. Standard - 5 mins 21 secs;
3. 20 Metre Rushes - Starting from prone, complete two shuttle sprints (1 shuttle = 20 m there, 20 m back) dropping to a prone position every 10m, for a total of 80 m. Standard - 51 secs; and
4. Sandbag Drag - Carry one 20 kg sandbag and pull a minimum of four on the floor over 20 m without stopping. Number of sandbags being dragged depends on the type of floor (on a reg gym floor 1 sandbag plus 1 10kg plate is added to the four). Standard - Completed without stopping.

One of the biggest changes in this evaluation is that there is only one standard, regardless of age, gender and environment.

I was wondering if my military cousins from other services could share what their evaluations are and what they think of them as bonafide indicators of their ability to carry out their militaery duties.

Replies

• MisRod17
    MisRod17 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm in the United States Air Force.

WOW! Granted I am in the Air Force, but WOW!

Our physical fitness standards encompass a whole body concept. We do 1 min of pushups, 1 min of situps, and a 1.5 mile timed run. Plus they weigh us and measure our waist. The scores are based on age and gender. This is to ensure that we are healthy and fit.

The US Army has standards similar to the Canadian Armed Forces. They have to do an ammo can lift, a stretcher carry, a timed 2 mile run, plus a few other things. It is meant to ensure they are physically fit to be the ground troops that they are.

For the AF, the standards have always been an issue. How can a 6' man, weigh 190 pounds, and only have a 30 inch waist? He would be like a skeleton! You could pass every component of the test and fail your waist measurement AND FAIL THE WHOLE TEST.

The AF says the standards are based off of medical recommendations. Our standards are not any indication of what our military duties are.
  • AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member
    When did the ARMY start doing ammo can lifts, and stretcher carries?? When I got out in 09 it was still 2 mins of sit-ups 2 mins of push-ups and a timed 2 mile run based of age. I don't believe any other categories added are apart of the standard PT TEST, but they may be added by division, or unit to judge where soldiers are at. The idea of functional testing like that of the Canadian Forces is great concept though. I think however that it is more of a test of combat readiness, as opposed to individual physical fitness.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    I'm in the United States Air Force.

WOW! Granted I am in the Air Force, but WOW!

Our physical fitness standards encompass a whole body concept. We do 1 min of pushups, 1 min of situps, and a 1.5 mile timed run. Plus they weigh us and measure our waist. The scores are based on age and gender. This is to ensure that we are healthy and fit.

The US Army has standards similar to the Canadian Armed Forces. They have to do an ammo can lift, a stretcher carry, a timed 2 mile run, plus a few other things. It is meant to ensure they are physically fit to be the ground troops that they are.

For the AF, the standards have always been an issue. How can a 6' man, weigh 190 pounds, and only have a 30 inch waist? He would be like a skeleton! You could pass every component of the test and fail your waist measurement AND FAIL THE WHOLE TEST.

The AF says the standards are based off of medical recommendations. Our standards are not any indication of what our military duties are.

Yes, it is a bit different than the evaluation it replaced.. the EXPRESS (stupid acronym) consisted of the 20 metre shuttle run, hand grip strength test, consecutive push ups & 1 min timed sit ups. The 20 metre shuttle run was an aerobic endurance test... basically you had to run so many 20 segments in a minute and the number of segments required for each stage increased as the test progressed. The documentation said that the starting speed was 5.5 kph and increased by .5 kph, each minute (stage). There were different standards based on age and gender.
  • RipperSB
    When did the ARMY start doing ammo can lifts, and stretcher carries?? When I got out in 09 it was still 2 mins of sit-ups 2 mins of push-ups and a timed 2 mile run based of age. I don't believe any other categories added are apart of the standard PT TEST, but they may be added by division, or unit to judge where soldiers are at. The idea of functional testing like that of the Canadian Forces is great concept though. I think however that it is more of a test of combat readiness, as opposed to individual physical fitness.

Was it how many push ups/sit ups you could do in 2 mins? Were there any performance incentives?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    I just retired from the Navy and our Military Fitness Evaluation (PRT) consisted of
    Situps 2min
    Pushups 2 min
    1.5 mile run as an alternate we have a choice of a 600 m times swim or 13 min elliptical or stationary bike where you count your calories burned in that time. It's broken down by gender and age groups.
  • RipperSB
    13 min elliptical or stationary bike where you count your calories burned in that time. It's broken down by gender and age groups.

Interesting... so are they looking for a high calorie burn or a low calorie burn?
  • AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member

Was it how many push ups/sit ups you could do in 2 mins? Were there any performance incentives?

yes how many push ups and then sits each within 2 mins. The number you have at the end is calculated into you final score 300 hundred being the max. Height and weight reqs must also be met at the end of each APFT. You get a nifty patch if you get a score of 300 or better but as for other incentives you pass or you get flagged for promotions, and awards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    13 min elliptical or stationary bike where you count your calories burned in that time. It's broken down by gender and age groups.

Interesting... so are they looking for a high calorie burn or a low calorie burn?
    High calorie burn. I haven't tried the bike but I have used the elliptical a few times. If you burn calories equal to your bw you will pass with a good to satisfactory score. People who have never tried the elliptical for the PRT think that it's easy but once they try it they change their tune.
  • RipperSB
    High calorie burn. I haven't tried the bike but I have used the elliptical a few times. If you burn calories equal to your bw you will pass with a good to satisfactory score. People who have never tried the elliptical for the PRT think that it's easy but once they try it they change their tune.

The elliptical is my go-to cardio machine but with the program I normally run, I could not get to my BW in 13 mins. I'm at 142 lbs now and I usualy aveage 8.5 cals per minute so in 13 mins... um... 4, carry the 2... 104 cals at the 13 min mark.