Is calorie count is accurate in the app?

Options
How do you know when the calorie count is accurate in the app?

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You don't. You need a heart rate monitor. I went without one from January until last week and have been really just guestimating on my workouts. I did 30 Day Shred all last month logging it with the app and it gave me 203 cals burned in 28 minutes. I did it again Monday with the HRM and it gave me 289 cals burned, that's a lot of underestimated calories if you are doing the workout 6 days a week! That's a total of 516 unlogged calories for the week. Plus I just started Insanity and there is no way I'd be able to tell what I burned in 40 minutes because the workouts are all so different and I go at different intesitites.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about calories of various foods, I don't know for sure. I have scanned some items and it comes up different than what's on the nutrition label. However, there hasn't been enough difference for it to matter to me.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I usually scan bar labels and see if it matches the nutrition label while using my phone. It's fairly accurate--about 80% of the time.

Some foods and exercises are extremely off. Take rahlpn's advice and use measurements from digital devices (it's still a guess, but closer than you'll get on guessing). If you want to be more accurate with food, buy a scale and look the calories up outside of the site.

I take a look at the calories given when I enter log food. I take it for what it's worth unless it seems really off. Don't stress on if the food may be 20 to 50 calories off of what you think it should be.