Low carb breakfast suggestions

Options
crickie152
crickie152 Posts: 9 Member
It's been suggested that I switch to a low carb diet for a week as I'm doing the 5:2 diet and I feel pretty wasted on fast days and the following day and this may work for me. Low carb eating is something I have no knowledge or experience of so I've been having a little look online .. as you do! Anyway, breakfast seems to be a bit of a problem for me. My breakfast of choice is porridge made with skimmed milk and a banana but this is a definite no-no for a low carb diet.

Thing is, I can't deal with savoury stuff first thing, and I have to eat first thing as I'm starving. I'm definitely not one for the full English! Eggs are a bit of a problem too as my cholesterol levels are high. I thought yogurts were OK (not that a yogurt would be substantial enough for me), but apparently not.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can eat for breakfast which is low carb?

~Thanks.

Replies

• slcrane90
    slcrane90 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that just because it is "Breakfast" doesnt mean you need to eat "Breakfast" food. I am actually considering starting to have vegetable soup and grilled chicken for breakfast. I have heard of several people turning their menu around and eating the bigger meal first thing and the lighter meal later in the day. Good luck to you!
  • Princesspam04
    Options
    try egg beaters and ham or bits of steak meat. or if your into protein shakes - isopure makes a good NO carb one!
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    Greek yogurt with chopped walnuts, cottage cheese, farmers cheese or + fruit (I eat a lot of low fat dairy). Kind bars for on the go, eggs and I agree with the below- it doesn't have to be breakfast food if you can stomach grilled chicken in the morning. Some people can eat fish - it just wouldn't work for me!:wink:
  • crickie152
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I really can't eat savoury stuff first thing, eg chicken, ham, bacon, sausages. The eggs are a problem for me too as I have high cholesterol.

Any more for any more?!!
  • secondstepforward
    Options
    What about egg whites? The cholesterol is in the yolk.
    My favorite omelette is made of one whole egg and three whites (or use 4-5 whites) and a splash of lite soy milk, all whipped really well, fried in some low-fat margarine with lite mozzarella cheese in the middle and some black pepper and rosemary or salsa or basil marinara sauce. Sounds long but it's super simple and keeps me full ;)
  • SophiaGee1
    Options
    What I eat for breakfast depends on how much time I have lol. Mornings I'm running behind, I throw a slice of whole wheat bread in the toaster then spread peanut butter on it and grab a cheese stick. Mornings when I have a little extra time, I peel a couple of boiled eggs (which I boiled the night before) salt and pepper and slice up an apple. Other mornings, I grab yogurt, granola bars, or fruit. I have also made (the night before) breakfast cupcakes. All you do is line a cupcake pan with your favorite sliced lunch meat (I used 2 slices of turkey) or bacon then crack open and egg into the lunch meat (I scrambled my egg and threw in some chives and spinach) then pop the pan into the oven until it's done. The egg should be fluffy and cooked all the way thru and the lunchmeat should be a little crunchy around the edges. It's a pretty good little breakfast to throw in the microwave in the mornings.

Hope this helps! :)
  • amtzfamly
    amtzfamly Posts: 12
    Options
    I do, 1/2 cup of egg whites, 2 strips of turkey bacon and Salsa. Very low carb and less than 250 cal.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Make protein pancakes with casein protein powder and egg whites (sometimes I mix in pumpkin, too). I eat them as dessert on lifting days, but there's no reason you can't start your day with them! The casein is also a slower-release protein so it should help you stay full longer.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat it for lunch most days but its good whenever, 6 egg whites with spinach sometimes mushrooms too. Its good by itself but sometimes I add some spaghetti sauce (healthy low cal one) on top. Its so good.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It's been suggested that I switch to a low carb diet for a week as I'm doing the 5:2 diet and I feel pretty wasted on fast days and the following day and this may work for me. Low carb eating is something I have no knowledge or experience of so I've been having a little look online .. as you do! Anyway, breakfast seems to be a bit of a problem for me. My breakfast of choice is porridge made with skimmed milk and a banana but this is a definite no-no for a low carb diet.

Thing is, I can't deal with savoury stuff first thing, and I have to eat first thing as I'm starving. I'm definitely not one for the full English! Eggs are a bit of a problem too as my cholesterol levels are high. I thought yogurts were OK (not that a yogurt would be substantial enough for me), but apparently not.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can eat for breakfast which is low carb?

~Thanks.

I eat "lower carb" (60 to 120 grams a day) and I occasionally eat steel cut oats (higher in protein than regular oatmeal) with a handful of nuts for breakfast--I put a dollop of organic butter on top. I make up for it by going lighter carb the rest of the day. I just can't do the super-low-carb thing anymore. I'm pretty happy with this diet and feel that I could stay on it the rest of my life. When I switch to maintenance, I will merely increase the portions slightly.
  • leantonedliz
    Options
    An omelet with veggies! I use 2 eggs, 1/2 cup egg whites, 2-3 handfuls of spinach, about 1/4 cup red onion (I like onions), and occasionally some chopped bell peppers. Sometimes I put a little cheese in for flavor, but that's your choice if you want the extra calories or not or if you like cheese or not.

Edit: I saw you can't have eggs. You could use just egg whites instead of whole eggs, and add lots of cheese for flavor. I was under the impression that dietary cholesterol has no relationship to bodily cholesterol, and that saturated fat is actually the culprit?

I also sometimes make a protein shake with 1 Greek yogurt (plain Fage 0% container works best because it is thick and creamy), 1 cup strawberries (not sure if that's allowed, how low carb are you?), 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, stevia, and ice and water as desired for texture. You can also use milk instead of water, which would add more protein and calories if you need something big and filling. You can also just take out one of the proteins and add less water if that seems like too much food for the morning. I'm big on breakfast so I like a lot of food.
  • jaybirdwaddell
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is a breakfast parfait.
    In a glass bowl , wine glass, etc. layer plain yogurt, granola (I like bulk barn hemp granola), berries and a drizzle of honey.
    Do a second layer of all and top with a little extra yogurt.
    Delicious and elegant enough for company.
  • Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, a meat ( bacon or sausage) bell peppers and cheese omelette .
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    In a glass bowl , wine glass, etc. layer plain yogurt, granola (I like bulk barn hemp granola), berries and a drizzle of honey.

Probably not low carb.
  • lilbodes
    lilbodes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Under my GP's advice I've gone low carb for 6 weeks to see if we cant kick start some weight loss as I've been stuck for some time.

Once I got over the whole, oh Bugger thats carby.... I have gotten totally into Chia puddings for breakfast, they have whatever you like in them over the basic. I use a Thermomix but I dont think the guys in the US have them there. You could do it on the stove its very quick and 1 batch lasts a few days.

I use this basic recipe from Quirky Jo, it's great, very tasty and you can substitute things as they are seasonal or what you have in the cupboard,. The other day I hadn't enough chia seeds so I topped it up with quinoa, still tasted good. Have a look at the recipes heaps of variations on her blog. I worked it out to be 65 carbs per serve. Its very filling just add a bit of yoghurt (not included in the carb count) and you are laughing. PS I dont use the fancy powders that she uses just really basic, the Crio Bru (cacao nibs) are grat, and they are good to brew up and drink,
    good luck

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/layered-maqui-chia-pudding.html
  • jennjenn07
    jennjenn07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    NOT SURE IF I AM MISREADING OR WHAT..I THOUGHT YOUR ORIGINAL SAID YOU HAD TROUBLE WITH EGGS AND YOU DIDN'T LIKE SAVORY OR BREAKFAST MEATS...
    I DON'T DO TOO MANY LOW CARB THINGS BUT I DO WATCH THE CARBS..FOR BREAKFAST SOMETIMES I EAT A WHOLE GRAIN WAFFLE (1)..SPREAD A LIL LOW FAT RICOTTA ON IT AND SPREAD LIL SUGAR FREE JELLY ON IT..SWEETENS IT UP AND IT'S A FILLING BREAKFAST.
    IF I JUST NEED A LIL SOMETHING, I MIGHT HAVE A SUGAR FREE PUDDING WITH A LIL PB2 ADDED OR A LOW CARB YOGURT WITH 1/2 A BANANA
    LOW CARB TORTILLAS ARE GOOD FOR BREAKFAST TOO..YOU CAN SWEETEN THESE UP WITH LOTS OF THINGS..THE RICOTTA AND JELLY OR THE YOGURT...WHATEVER WORKS
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that just because it is "Breakfast" doesnt mean you need to eat "Breakfast" food. I am actually considering starting to have vegetable soup and grilled chicken for breakfast. I have heard of several people turning their menu around and eating the bigger meal first thing and the lighter meal later in the day. Good luck to you!

I have been thinking of doing this too. I have found when I don't eat enough for breakfast or lunch that I feel a bit flakey and out of it during the day and no amount of dinner can really help me feel better.

I guess you just have to figure out what works for you. I think maybe a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner is a good idea for me, on those days I am not planning on going out for dinner or something ofcourse, because then I will over-eat...
  • crickie152
    Options

This sounds much more my cup of tea. As I've said, I can't deal with savoury foods/meats in my first meal of the day. BUT, aren't yogurt and granola both high carb. I know oats are and as that's what granola is made from ....
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in eggs doesnt affect the cholesterol in your body - but if you like you could just have egg whites. these can be made into a sort of pancake with flax seed or chia seed.

A handful of nuts maybe?

All yoghurts are not the same, some are more low-carb friendly. It tends to be the sweetened ones that are more carby.

A smoothie made with peanut or almond butter, greek yoghurt or cottage cheese, sweetened to taste with honey or some berries, as those are the lowest carb fruits.

You biggest issue, though, is that sugar=carbs.
  • helen195
    helen195 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    have you considered a protein drink for breakfast? with a handful of nuts.

I use Promax Strawberry flavour, it can be mixed with milk or water.