Do you add all food to your log?

Options
If not, how low does the food need to be to be omitted?

Ex. would you add a 25 calorie food?
20?
15?
5?

Replies

• AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    I add everything.
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I add everything as well. I thought twice about adding a 15 calorie sugar packet, but then I thought that if I give myself an inch I'll take a mile and I'll start omitting other things. And it all adds up!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I add everything that has calories. I know some people track their macros and micros closely but I have seen some unreliable counts for those numbers so I don't trust the database completely. Also, I recommend looking up calorie counts for spices, most are low but some are not as low as you would think (ie they should be added)
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the point? If you aren't, the only person you are cheating is yourself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Today there are 10 items in my diary with less than 30 calories...in total they = 203 calories. So, if I didn't add those, and I ate to my calorie goal, I'd actually be 203 calories over my goal. Considering my calorie goal only has a 250 calorie deficit in it...well, it's kind of a big deal then since I've pretty much shot my deficit to **** by not counting those items.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I add everything except sometimes not certain condiments like mustard, a few pickle slices, red wine vinegar...if it has sugar or fat (ketchup, mayo, etc), then yes, otherwise for just a single serving of something like that I don't bother. (Edited to add - this would basically be only in the case of a sandwich, and I haven't eaten a sandwich since 2012, lol, so obviously it's extremely infrequent.)

I also only add coffee (which technically has a few calories per cup) if I'm adding something with calories to it like cream, etc. Other than that...I log everything, doesn't matter how few calories.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I don't count unquantifiably small amounts of something. Like if I licked a dribble of spaghetti sauce off my finger, for example. How the heck would you figure that out? So I don't bother. I try not to let it happen very often though. Otherwise, I count everything I put in my mouth, even down to sugar free gum or a cough drop.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I can see the pint, if you have multiple items.

For me on the other-hand, if I eat a pickle, a piece of butterscotch candy, drink black coffee or coffee with a little cup of creamer (10 calories) I usually don't add them
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Nope, there's stuff like that scone I ate and all of that biscoff I had for lunch that I can't really account for. So what I do is leave 5-600 cals open at then end of the day for things like this and keep a mental note.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I usually add everything but I did have a couple bites of mac and cheese the other night and didn't log it because I had over 200 calories left over for the day and I was done eating. Didn't log it but I know I was under calorie for the day.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'd say less than 5, like I don't add things like garlic & onion & seasonings used for cooking. If its veggies or somethign though, I do add it.
  • Kimi103
    Kimi103 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm horrible. I don't add any.
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't log things like a stick of gum or a bite of my boyfriend's sandwich. Too much stress for me. But I tend to eat at least 100 calories under my goal to account for these things.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i add everything. even when i binge - the 'in 5 weeks time you are going to be gaining all the weight back youve lost within the past year' note usually puts me in my place :P
    i think the past year i had _one_ day i didnt log - new years eve. and i was on definitely less than 2000kcal then, in fact i was super sober and in bed around 1am hah! im getting old.
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, add everything! Otherwise, your numbers will be skewed.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I add everything I eat. Sometimes I forget to add water to the list, but I always fill the little glass.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I add everything-usually before I even eat it. If I didn't, who knows how fast the 15/25 calories of whatever I didn't add up would be. I'd rather have it all there than lie to myself and not put something in
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't add my coffee but I do add anything I put into it. Sometimes I leave out individual green vegetables when I'm eating a dish that contains a big pile of different ones, and sometimes I'll just record it all as one type of vegetable. When you start getting into anything with a color other than green though, the calories add up.
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I try to count everything. Because even if you eat 1/3 of a cookie or something, maybe that's 50 calories you didn't even register that you ate. If you do that a few times a day, it could add up really quickly!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I add everything as well. I thought twice about adding a 15 calorie sugar packet, but then I thought that if I give myself an inch I'll take a mile and I'll start omitting other things. And it all adds up!

Exactly this!