scared to lift

Options
I have been advised to increase strength training and reduce cardio to get some results, but as silly as it may seem I'm nervous in the gym that I'll be doing the exercises incorrectly also I don't know if the gym I use has the big long weights people use to lift over their head, just the individual dumbbell style (I use a small ladies only gym that isn't crippling on my purse) can't really afford a personaltrainer but is it something I should starting saving up for?

Replies

• scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? I'm not understanding being advised to reduce cardio, but I guess it all depends on what your goals are.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I do prefer a bar to dumbbells, but all the big lofts can be modified for dumbbells. Check out bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com. Both have lots of good info, and i've found muscleandstrength's demo videos on form very helpful in the past. Start with a weight you can hangle with good form for squats, bench, bent over rows, military press and deadlifts. If there's no bar, use dumbbells. Once you have your form down, lift heavier. Find a weight that fatigues your muscles in 8-10 reps. Do 2-3 sets with one lighter warm-up set. Once you've gotten your form and lifting and progressed in weight a little bit, and feel more established, check out a 5x5 program or another "strength" focused program to change it up a bit and lift even heavier for fewer reps.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark Rippetoe's videos on you tube for form.

Download Stronglifts 5x5 at http://stronglifts.com/

If you're still having trouble from there you might think about hiring a trainer.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? I'm not understanding being advised to reduce cardio, but I guess it all depends on what your goals are.
    I'm 5foot 7 and 11 stone with a high bf% of 29 I do zumba swimming and starting cardio and weights in the gym and have been told to reduce cardio and concentrate on strength as I am not seeing results. I want to tone up and lose the fat I understand that muscle is heavier than fat so weight is not a major issue, rather my body shape and excess podge
  • beckymlong
    Options
    I do prefer a bar to dumbbells, but all the big lofts can be modified for dumbbells. Check out bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com. Both have lots of good info, and i've found muscleandstrength's demo videos on form very helpful in the past. Start with a weight you can hangle with good form for squats, bench, bent over rows, military press and deadlifts. If there's no bar, use dumbbells. Once you have your form down, lift heavier. Find a weight that fatigues your muscles in 8-10 reps. Do 2-3 sets with one lighter warm-up set. Once you've gotten your form and lifting and progressed in weight a little bit, and feel more established, check out a 5x5 program or another "strength" focused program to change it up a bit and lift even heavier for fewer reps.

I have been doing something similar to that actually, with a range of lifts stone that you have mentioned with reps that get difficult after 8-10 reps which I do three times. But I'm a wimp with only 2 and half kg dumbbells....I guessed it was a start...
  • beckymlong
    Options
    Check out Mark Rippetoe's videos on you tube for form.

Download Stronglifts 5x5 at http://stronglifts.com/

If you're still having trouble from there you might think about hiring a trainer.

Will have to practice at home first he he thanks
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You are cute.. find a nice looking guy and ask him to show you how to do the lifting..I'm sure he will be happy to do so!!

ha you might even get a date out of it. LOL

Ps Muscle is not heavier then fat a pound is a pound it just takes up less space.. so to fill the same space with muscle rather then fat will make you weigh more. It's why people can lose inches and not lose weight. if you take the fat and convert it to muscle you will stay the same weight and lose inches. (this is what you want!). I'm smaller thenI was in highschool eventhough I weigh more. Muscles baby!! "I work out!!" LOL
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    The key to lifting properly is good form. This means lifting at very low weights and slowly and gradually increasing the weight as you learn proper form and technique.

I would suggest asking a trainer or friend who knows what they are doing to go over some of the machines/movements with you and help teach you the proper form.

Or, check out something like Starting Strength / Strong lifts, which focus on the main compound muscle movements (barbell squats, chest press, deadlift), and have great videos on the form.

Hope this helps.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Barbells > dumbells
    Stronglifts has good videos showing proper form, and has you starting with lighter weights, in part to practice your form.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hey becky don't be afraid, just pace yourself. Start with lower weight so you can comfortably complete the movement, and get a feel for how your posture is affecting the muscles you want to work. Then up the weight so you can start building the muscle and hit your 6-8 rep range per set. You can even go as agressive as 4-6 reps (which is what I do). I let myself rest up to 2 minutes in between sets so that I am fresh for the next set.

If you want a good reference for how to complete your exercises properly, there are a bunch of apps out for your phone that have diagrams and videos.

The best, hands down, that I have seen (and use constantly) is Fitness Buddy. It has over 3000 exercises and variations... so you will probably find examples for how to do any exercise you choose.

Important Note: If you are working with dumbbells, be careful with over rotating your shoulders, especially when you are placing the weight down after a set, and lying belly up on a bench. You don't want to twist them back too much or your shoulders could get sore or pulled. Just take your time and focus.

The trick I use here is to start by sitting upright on the bench and hold the dumbbells on my thighs. When you go to lie back, use your thighs to help you get the weight up over your chest. Do your exercise lying back with your feet planted on the floor, then return them to your thighs and sit up straight. This helps you keep control of the weight when you're tired and from just dropping the weight or overextending your shoulders backward (personal experiance).
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Also, you can search exercises on Bodybuilding.com for Dumbbells or whatever you have to work with! There is always a video demo posted too!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    As long as you're full contracting and stretching the fibers of your muscles you won't be wasting your time with weights. A lot of people think lifting as much as they can is how it's done, but really they're putting unnecessary excess strain on their bodies. Follow a program and I've looked at youtube videos for correct form, but make sure you're engaging your mind in the exercise and pulling/pushing with the correct muscle set/group. Those guys that swing the dumb bells are not only effing up their wrists, but using their back muscles to swing the weight up.. lower weight with better form will get you safer and REAL results.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Make YouTube your best friend.

Search Rippetoe for proper form.

Search StrongLifts or Starting Strength for a good place to start.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    As long as you're full contracting and stretching the fibers of your muscles you won't be wasting your time with weights. A lot of people think lifting as much as they can is how it's done, but really they're putting unnecessary excess strain on their bodies. Follow a program and I've looked at youtube videos for correct form, but make sure you're engaging your mind in the exercise and pulling/pushing with the correct muscle set/group. Those guys that swing the dumb bells are not only effing up their wrists, but using their back muscles to swing the weight up.. lower weight with better form will get you safer and REAL results.

This is true, proper form is everything... but do not lift weight that's too easy for you. The goal is to complete your sets, with the most weight possible while still keeping form.

... if you're lifting weight that's too easy, you are absolutely going to be wasting the effort. First listen to your body, but do the most weight you can.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I just started the program from the book 'new rules of lifting for women'. (5'7" and 29%bf too btw)
    When I joined a small gym (a loooong time ago) the owner actually walked me through and showed me proper form. So if there's someone at the gym who can do that for you, it's a great option. Else, consider hiring a trainer just for one session to show you proper form.
    I just got a barbell and weights off kijiji for $10, still looking for heavier weights, but at least I have the basics covered, without a gym membership :-)
    Good luck and have fun :-)
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm 5foot 7 and 11 stone with a high bf% of 29 I do zumba swimming and starting cardio and weights in the gym and have been told to reduce cardio and concentrate on strength as I am not seeing results. I want to tone up and lose the fat I understand that muscle is heavier than fat so weight is not a major issue, rather my body shape and excess podge

I wouldn't necessarily reduce your cardio, but increase your strength training. Keep your cardio to at least three times a week and fit at least two days of strength training in. Everyone has posted some good resources as to find help with proper form and as long as you're doing some kind of weight, you're doing the right thing.
  • beckymlong
    Options
    This is fantastic thanks everyone! I feel good about it now I watched the strong lift 5x5 video on you tube how do I judge the weights I'm using 2.5 kg dumbbells at the moment which tires out my mini muscles, is the idea to increase it by 5lbs each session? Is that too much for me? Seems a lot :-\
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    The +5 lbs increase is probably too much. I noticed the same thing when I reviewed the program (I'm using another one), and it seems a little ambitious.

You might want to try upping the weight by 5 lbs per arm, once per week. If doing so is too much, then just do the previous weight. But remember that your goal is to lift heavier and heavier as time goes on. Like I said listen to your body and lift heavy. If your body is telling you it's too much (you feel like you're going to hurt yourself... or it already hurts) cut it out and lower the weight a little/check your form/ etc...
  • LisforLee
    LisforLee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump to check out reccomendations
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great question! And great work thus far!

Check out bodybuilding.com. You can create a profile there too if you'd like. NEVER be afraid to lift!! You will definitly decrease body fat and increase your lean muscle mass w/ strength training. Make sure you are taking in plenty of protein to yeild better results. The appropriate amount of protein; take your body weight in lbs in grams of protein to build and mantain muscle mass. Most ppl do not see immediate results with lifting but that's ok because your end results will be amazing. You will look leaner and more toned. If you are someone who pays attention to the # on the scale keep in mind you will be gaining muscle as you are decreasing your body fat %, so do not get discouraged. Lifting can help relieve so much stress and once you learn proper excercises/techniques you will feel empowered!

Best of luck and let me know if you need anything!