What do you think of Barre?

Options
I heard that though it is low impact, it is very effective and can show results pretty quickly. Have any of you tried Barre classes out?

I was kind of turned off when I read about it and each site said it increases strength "without bulk" because it creates long, lean muscle. As opposed to the heavy, "bulky" muscle of female lifters, I assume? *eye roll*

Nevertheless, what do you think?

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think picking a suitable activity is a matter of preference, and so I'd say try it a few times and see if you like it, then reevaluate.

Barre is obviously effective because otherwise professional ballet dancers wouldn't be doing it.

Is it going to help you achieve your goals, though? And are you going to enjoy doing it? That's the question.

Personally I did ballet as a kid, didn't care for it then, don't care for it now, and my personal happy place happens with barbells and yoga. Everyone is different, though.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response! I took a class and besides the stance (knees bent, feet out, arms up) and the barre, it felt nothing like a dance class. Haha. It was intense. My entire body was shaking.

I am also naturally pigeon-toed, so I was comfortable during the standing-up parts of the work out.

According to my HRM, I burned around 550 calories in the one-hour class. And I couldn't even keep up with everybody else. I weigh 148, so I'm sure once some weight is lost the calorie burn will decrease. But for now it looks effective!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I do barre dvds at home. I burn between 175 and 350 calories per DVD and wear an HRM as well. I like the results for my seat (more lifted), my waist is smaller, and my arms and legs are more toned. I didn't feel it worked my abs as well as something like Pilates, but I may not have given it long enough before trying other exercises. I like that it generally isn't frenetic and that it really does tone me.

I do incorporate cardio every other day though.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Probably a great workout. When people talk about creating "long" muscles though I always get a laugh. One cannot increase the length of their muscles!
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did it for the first time last night, and enjoyed it. If i'm going to go to a class, I'd still prefer hot yoga, but this has it's place. I liked the focus on those 'problem areas' for women - I can definitely feel it today! Also liked that it was a long cardio session, without having to jump around like a maniac.
  • ljstar79
    ljstar79 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been going for exactly 2 months and have seen a significant change in my body. On average, I attend classes 6 times/week. I have also been making an effort to eat better and more often. I have substantially increased my water intake. The biggest difference with Barre- is my butt. I LOVE MY BUTT for the first time in my life. It was always small and flat.. and now... oh my!!!!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have done some Barre videos online. It's basically the kind of exercises we would do before a dance class when I was younger (ballet, jazz, even synchronized swimming) so I was very familiar with the moves, it's definitely playing on my strengths! I found it to be fun, and I felt a burn, but I don't think it's what I need to get into shape. I think I need weights to actually build muscle. Barre can help with other areas of fitness though, I think.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been attending a barre class (a one-off studio, not a franchise, but I believe my instructor trained at the Dailey Method) 4-5 times a week (mostly 5 as of the past month) for nearly 2 months.. I don't supplement with anything else, like cardio or weightlifting. Just barre. I like it because:

1) signing up for unlimited classes each month = go as many times to make each class cost less $$
    2) group setting.. "we're all in this together"
    3) it doesn't typically hurt my ankles.. whereas even walking up/down a flight of stairs does
    4) I am pretty sure I look different. Nothing drastic (yet?). I feel stronger/firmer. especially in arms and abs (oddly, most people say its lower-body focused?)
    5) when I'm in class there are no other distractions.. I think it's good for the mind in that sense. somehow meditative.
    6) each class is has the same components but is structured differently, keeps me on my toes (hohoho)

this is the only time in my life that i've really been exercising regularly and i attribute it to that barre, painful/challenging though it is, actually makes me want to go back each day. i miss it on my off days!

it IS expensive though.

(so many parentheses, oh my!)
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi - I totally agree with everything you stated about barre. Looking for some barre friends to motivate each other - friend me if you'd like. I used to run marathons, train at the gym but never saw a great change in my shape. I'm going to stick with the barre and limit running/gym for at least six months to see the change. I LOVE it - the burns, the shakes, the people - it's just a great workout!
  • jmbaker1985
    Options
    How do you guys log barre into MFP? Pilates?
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have been going for exactly 2 months and have seen a significant change in my body. On average, I attend classes 6 times/week. I have also been making an effort to eat better and more often. I have substantially increased my water intake. The biggest difference with Barre- is my butt. I LOVE MY BUTT for the first time in my life. It was always small and flat.. and now... oh my!!!!

You had me at loving your butt! I keep seeing Groupon and Living Social deals for it in Indy, but I haven't tried it. I would expect to pick it up pretty quickly, as I took ballet and jazz from age 5-14.