gatorade (or similar drink) before/after running?

Options
2»

Replies

• TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The gatorade cut with water should be fine. If you haven't already, you could start experimenting with other fueling products like Nuun. I know of many runners who swear by it. It's a tablet that you drop into your water. Check it out!
  • akinomikon
    akinomikon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yep, Coconut water.
    The kind with no suger added!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i like half gatorade, half whiskey.

i'm more of a wine drinker. whiskey makes me crazy but not good crazy. LOL!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    Yep, Coconut water.
    The kind with no suger added!

won't the coconut water make me have to go to the bathroom?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Coconut water and a banana. Natures gatorade.

Damn...I was just about to post this...but I do coconut water and an orange. Indeed, natures gatorade.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    thank you everyone for your suggestions/replies. i started running last year but was only doing 5ks, mud runs, 8k and i did one 10k (didn't train it was a disaster). this year i want to focus on 8 and 10ks plus halfs so next year i can do a full. of course i'll always do mud runs! they are AWESOME!
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Almost as important as keeping hydrated is learning to run carrying a water bottle. Who would've thought that would be difficult!?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    Almost as important as keeping hydrated is learning to run carrying a water bottle. Who would've thought that would be difficult!?

it took me a while to get used to running with my water bottle. since i have small hands (my hands are small, my feet are small but everything in between is not nice) it makes it difficult to carry the bottle the whole time so i squish the middle so it fits perfectly in my hands. poor water bottle's destroyed after i run with it. lol
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I can relate to small hands and feet. Do you have trouble moving the arm holding the water bottle during your run? I found myself keeping arm holding water bottle firmly planted at my side, messing up my rhythm.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    I can relate to small hands and feet. Do you have trouble moving the arm holding the water bottle during your run? I found myself keeping arm holding water bottle firmly planted at my side, messing up my rhythm.

i just carry a plastic water bottle (deer pack, dasani, generic store brand) and squish the center of it until it fits in my hand. that strap would drive me crazy! :) i don't fill the water bottle to the top so it's not too heavy in the beginning.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    an update: ran my longest run last saturday 7.39 miles. had my gatorade/water drink with me and i can say without a doubt it HELPED! thank you everyone. this will be my new drink during my long runs. oh and after i finished the run i drank the rest of the gatorade straight. i still think it's gross but i definitely felt better (no heat exhaustion no feeling like i'm ready to faint) so thank you.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I really like cytomax. We use this for training, and even one of the half marathons I run have it on the course. We get the fruit punch flavor and really like it.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I really like cytomax. We use this for training, and even one of the half marathons I run have it on the course. We get the fruit punch flavor and really like it.
    I'm almost out of my Cytomax. Good stuff, I like the fruit punch too. I just bought VPX's CarbonX the other day as it was on sale. Lemonade tasted pretty good. 1 scoop of Cytomax left then I switch to CarbonX for all my workouts.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use the CytoMax sold by GNC. It has caffeine in it so if you run at night it's not ideal. However, for morning runs or just after work runs it is GREAT. I drank it during a half marathon I ran a couple weekends ago (I've also used it while training/running numerous marathons) and I had awesome results. I didn't feel the heat and I felt/remained hydrated throughout the entire run. PLUS, I got a PR!

Oh, and as far as running with the water bottle. I don't. I use a hydration belt which I've had for years and swear by. On longer training runs my boyfriend will ride a bike along with me and carry the water for me. If you have someone who is willing to do this with you I totally recommend it :)

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Karrie
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    This was really useful to read. I'm in the uk and the weather is only just warming up. It's not that hot yet by comparison but its definitely taking adjustment!
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Try High5 Zero - its an electrolyte drink,but its pretty much zero calories.

Its available as a dissovable tablet in water, I drink some before and bike ride about an hour before for hydration, then during as I would normally drink. The tablets cost approx £6 for 20 over here in the UK.

Available on-line and in stores such as Holland & Barrett and Supermarkets.

There is an "Extreme" version too which contains caffeine.

The citrus flavour is also pretty gentle on the stomach,
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a long distance runner and he does fine in heat without gatorade or anything similar for any runs under 1/2 marathon. He drinks water only before and during. His prerun food is typically a piece of fruit or a whole wheat tortilla with a bit of honey. Post run he drinks chocolate milk immediately and then water. Good luck!