Overlooked Calories!

Options
I just realized that I've been overlooking calories here and there for the past 2 weeks! How discouraging! For example, it hit me this morning when I entered my breakfast, which was cereal...but of course I added milk, which I haven't been counting. To my horror, that's an additional 120 calories!! And then there's the coffee that I can't live without: 110. All in all, I've consumed an additional 230 calories this morning, that I haven't normally been counting. I can only imagine what my lunches and dinner are really adding up to by the time it's all said and done.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on how to make sure you don't overlook anything?

Replies

• kirstyleed
    kirstyleed Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi.

I must admit I tend not to have this problem as I take very little milk (coffee is black and I rarely eat cereal). However friends have told me they average out a daily amount i.e. 1 pint or 2 pints (depending how much they usually have) and count that as a whole rather than adding milk to each drink etc.

Hope this helps? you may end up adding more than you use and benefiting in the other direction!

Kirstylee
  • catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Does your schedule allow you to enter right before or after the meal so you wont forget anything? If not maybe you could write it down in a notebook until you have time to enter it....
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I write everything down in a notebook that I leave in the kitchen. When something comes out of the fridge or the pantry it gets written down. Then when I have time I add it in MFP. I tend to forget toppings and condiments so when the pickle jar comes out of the fridge I immediately go to my notebook and write it down.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    If you are able to log as soon as you eat, thats pretty much the best way not to overlook anything

Or as some have mentioned...keep a notebook handy, so you can jot stuff down as your days goes on

Goodluck
  • mctny
    mctny Posts: 6
    Options
    Something that's made it easier for me is to save my complete breakfast including milk as a meal.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

Basically any food that pass your lips into your stomach must be accounted for...best way to remember...this works for me...no matter how small the portion...

B
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Bummer... but there is a learning curve. It's like not counting butter/olive oil when cooking. I just Smart Balance Spray & really good non-stick pans to cook!