heart Rate Monitors

Options
2»

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Some can. I think the polars above the F6 can, I know that the F11 can.

Oh, and srb, the chest strap is really not uncomfortable. It's pretty much like wearing a bra. (which I guess is not exactly comfortable, but we ladies are used to.):wink:
  • jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    Options
    This is copied off the manual for the F11

Using the Polar Heart Rate Monitor in a Water Environment
    Your Polar heart rate monitor is water resistant and can be used
    when swimming. The fi tness heart rate monitor is not, however, a
    diving instrument. To maintain the water resistance, do not press
    the buttons of the wrist unit under water.
    Users measuring their heart rate in water may experience
    interference for the following reasons:
    • Pool water with a high chlorine content and seawater are very
    conductive. The electrodes of a transmitter may short-circuit,
    which prevents ECG signals from being detected by the
    transmitter.
    • Jumping into water or strenuous muscle movement during
    competitive swimming may cause water resistance that shifts
    the transmitter on the body to a location where it is not possible
    to pick up ECG signals.
    • The ECG signal strength depends on the individual and also
    varies depending on an individual’s tissue composition.
    The percentage of people who have problems in heart rate
    measuring is considerably higher in water than in other use.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Thanks for setting my mind at ease. I think i'll buy an F11. And the water thing, i didn't even consider taking it swimming, that'll be awesome.

Thanks again

Al
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Banks you may be able to answer this, (*then agen so may my manual but i dont have that right now)

So i went for a run, and i burnt 214 Cals, it said 30% of those were fat cals, is that bcus i kept my heart rate limit at 'Hard' for alll of the run?

Also are the other 70% of the calories that i burnt, Muscle calories??

Help __x

Sorry for the Delay Princess, I just saw this post now.
    Al is pretty much correct. Most of the calories we burn are from consumption, most of the rest are from fat, there will always be a small amount from muscle and lean tissue, but if you are eating healthy and enough, then it should be in the vast minority.

The funny thing about an HRM is that they are more accurate then gym machine (like a tread mill), it was a huge shock to me the first time I saw the "REAL" caloric burn I was doing as opposed to what the machines say. For example, I do a 30 minute run on the (very new, top of the line) tread mill at my office gym, and it says I burned 675 calories, where my polar says 460 calories. Sad but true, the polar takes into account my heart rate, age, and whether I am male or female (over and above the standard weight measurement), where the machine only takes into account my speed and weight.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    [/quote
    Sorry for the Delay Princess, I just saw this post now.
    Al is pretty much correct. Most of the calories we burn are from consumption, most of the rest are from fat, there will always be a small amount from muscle and lean tissue, but if you are eating healthy and enough, then it should be in the vast minority.

The funny thing about an HRM is that they are more accurate then gym machine (like a tread mill), it was a huge shock to me the first time I saw the "REAL" caloric burn I was doing as opposed to what the machines say. For example, I do a 30 minute run on the (very new, top of the line) tread mill at my office gym, and it says I burned 675 calories, where my polar says 460 calories. Sad but true, the polar takes into account my heart rate, age, and whether I am male or female (over and above the standard weight measurement), where the machine only takes into account my speed and weight.
    /quote]

In the last few years I have heard and read about discrepencies with the calories burned on fitness equipment, that they are often off by nearly 30%! Because of this I only enter 75% of what the machine says into my exercise log, so then I don't over eat with my earned exercise calories. I am excited to get my f6 so i can really know how efficient (or not:ohwell: ) my workouts are, and can then take in the proper amount of calories.
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was quite pleased when i first started wearing mine, it said i was burning slightly less on the treadmill (normally off by about 50 cals) BUT I was burning way more using the machines than i thought:bigsmile: Quick question for all the clever technical people out there. I have a polar F11, how do I get it to show me how many of my caloires burnt are from fat?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    At the end of your workout, you should be able to look at total calories, which will also show a % fat calories.

After you hit the "stop" button, use the up/down to scroll through the info.