Changing my start weight....my final decision

Options
So as a lot of you know, I was struggling with if I should change my start weight. When I first started MFP I was at 238 and then in the first week I gained 4 pounds. I tweaked my numbers and goals and started losing weight. So now my ticker shows that I have lost 4 pounds, but it's really closer to 9 because I gained weight first. I posted about this about 2 weeks ago and expressed my concern for feeling like a cheat if I changed my start weight. Now that the weight is coming off I constantly have 2 numbers in my head; the weight loss that is on MFP and the ACTUAL weight I have lost. It's driving me crazy, so I have decided to go ahead and change my start weight to 242. I guess I wanted to post this, so I could let every know and not feel like a cheat...lol. I guess I'm becoming a bit obsessed. lol

Replies

• modestkelly
    modestkelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that's not cheating! Don't question what makes you feel good and 9 pounds is way more satisfying than 4. Changing your start weight might be what it takes to get you closer to your goal. Good job girl!
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing - I just changed my start weigh too. 8 lbs made me feel better than 4, and It was weight I actually lost... so whythe heck not! :wink:
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Don't worry...I'm about to do the same thing. When I first started my new lifestyle...I was 255 but I didn't start MFP until 249 so I had already lost 6 lbs. I too have 2 numbers in my head. We'll both change it. :)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 9 pounds...Keep it up!!!!!

I certainly understand how you feel....:smile:
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I think you made the right decision! If you had to lose that weight then you should change the numbers to reflect that! I would've! It's hard to lose that weight! You need to get credit for it!

Good job!:drinker:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You guys crack me up! Remember that this is all about YOU! Most people aren't going to look at your ticker and think that you "cheated" and if they do... well - then they probably need to concentrate a little more on their own ticker! LOL! The fact is that you're all doing a great job, making good choices for your health and you're seeing results... EXCELLENT! Keep up the good work!
  • justesje
    justesje Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Brilliant idea. Well done on the weightloss. It should reflect all your work both on and off MFP. I logged onto MFPat end of March, didn't use for about 3wks came back and had lost 6 pounds. Not cheating at all.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I changed mine to my starting weight which was a couple months before I found this site.
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    My ticker start weight was my heaviest weight in summer 2005, not my band weight or MPF start weight. I've lost it, why not see it :).
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    aaaahhhh, guys....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I know it sounds silly, but I just felt guilty changing it and not telling everyone. lol. Now I'm really glad that I did change it. Rattykid is right, I lost the weight and I should get credit for it and now I do. 8 pounds (almost 9, just a few ounces away) is a lot better than 4 and I DID lose the weight. Thanks again everyone, I feel so much better (and 8 pounds lighter...lol) :tongue:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs a year ago on South Beach Diet. Then I joined MFP and put my starting weight in & how much I wanted to lose. Well, I gained it back... which sucks & is something I NEVER thought would happen to me. Anyway, I just started again with MFP and had to bump up my starting weight 25 lbs & increase my weight loss goal. Really really really hated that part.

Just do whatever you feel is right... and absolutely, you DID lose the weight. In my case, I just didn't want to be reminded of it.
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just changed my starting weight after reading what you guys said. I lost little over 3 lbs before I started posting here, it took me 7 weeks to loose the first 3 lbs. I wanted to acknowledge that loss!! Now I don't have to keep track of 2 different numbers... Thanks
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the same decision. I lost a lot of weight starting three years ago and then it started to come back on and that is when I joined MFP. I ended up changing my start weight to my heaviest weight, which is from three years ago. I feel like I started this journey at that weight and it makes me feel better to measure my success in relation to that weight. It's all about what's best for you!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! That's fine. :happy: I felt crappy 'cause I put my CURRENT weight when I got on MFP and everyone would see I lost 2 lbs when really, I'd lost 14! So I changed mine to my beginning weight when I started my lifestyle change, not when I started MFP.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When I joined a week ago I guessed my weight to get my goals entered.

I just bought a scale yesterday. Weighed last night. Last night I weighed a couple of pounds higher than this morning.

I'm changing my start weight to yesterdays -- much higher than my guess -- and entering this mornings weight for today. Which makes it look like I've lost 2 pounds. Sounds confusing…bottom line I weighed a lot more than I thought I did. From now on I'll weigh same time of day. Not weighing is in part how I gained all of this weight.

PS. I really like this site. Very helpful to me to track everything and get support!