Stone Fruit "Cobbler" Muffins (141 cal each)

Options
pocketmole
pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
I think these muffins turned out super tasty, and while I know some people here are opposed to this sort of thing - I personally like the fact that they use regular ingredients (flour, butter, sugar, etc) rather than things like diet soda and artificial sweeteners. That said, you could cut the calories down a bit (I think it drops to 119) if you decided to sub in Splenda for the sugar. Perhaps you could swap in apple sauce for the melted butter too, but I'm not sure how it would affect the texture of the muffins in the end. If someone tries it let me know :)

I called them cobbler muffins because they remind me a bit of eating peach cobbler with the combination of gooey fruit, sweet bread, and spices. These are best warm from the oven or heated up a little in the microwave, but they are good at room temp too!

stonefruitmuffins1.jpg

Stone Fruit "Cobbler" Muffins

Whisk together in a large bowl:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a separate bowl stir together:

2/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt (I used fage)
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water (This is the equivalent of one egg. I don't bake with eggs, but you can certainly use it. It will affect the calories slightly)

Gentle combine the wet ingredients into the dry until just moistened. Do not overwork the batter or you will have tough muffins. It will be pretty thick.

Stir together:

1/8 cup no sugar added peach preserves
1/8 cup cherry butter

Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray the insides lightly with cooking spray. Put about 1 tablespoon of batter into each cup, following by 1 teaspoon of the fruit filling, following by another tablespoon of batter. If you need to, pat them down very gently so there aren't any big gaps inside the baking cups. They may be a little lumpy but I think that adds to their charm :)

Stir together:

1/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Sprinkle this mixture evenly across the top of the muffins and bake them for 15 minutes in a 375F oven. Let them cool slightly before devouring. :D

Replies

• luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Can I replace the 1/2 c of sugar with stevia? Or would it ruin the consistency.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, they sound great!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    SOunds delish. Thanks for sharing.
  • apena22
    apena22 Posts: 5
    Options
    chode
  • apena22
    apena22 Posts: 5
    Options
    chode
    chode
  • pocketmole
    Options
    Can I replace the 1/2 c of sugar with stevia? Or would it ruin the consistency.

I've never actuall cooked with stevia so I couldn't say. From what I've read you would need to replace the bulk lost from removing the sugar with something else, and that you may also need to extend the cooking time. Someone with experience baking with stevia may be able to offer a suggestion here :)
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    is there anything I can sub the cherry butter for? Just since its not a terribly common ingredient.
  • pocketmole
    Options
    You could use apple butter or any sort of jam you like :)