Should I go to a doctor?

Options
13»

Replies

• allielynn93
    Options
    I went to my doctor and she told me I wasn't eating ENOUGH calories to lose weight. So, I joined myfitnesspal and calculated my calories and she was right. Everyone's different, but just try to increase the calories with the tools this site gives you and you'll more than likely see results.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Try having a rest day from exercise once a week
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Well you've hit the nail on the head sadly. It's been a tough month so far (my nan died March 1) for me and my auto-response is t eat and eat and eat. I know I've really messed up with the kinda of foods I've eaten though I'm proud of the fact I've not completely gorged like I would've done in the past.

Going into it naively I thought that if I was under my calories, it wouldn't matter what is eaten!

It shouldn't matter what you've eaten if you're under your calories. Don't be angry at yourself. Just stick with your plan, and eat healthier food. Some of the calories burned estimates can be off, so I don't eat back all my calories.
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i've been having issues with losing anything for a month or so & I figured out my TDEE info & it turns out I needed to up my calories as I was going in the dreaded 'starvation mode' for my size at 1200 calories a day.

I upped it to 1550 on monday and have lost 4 pounds.

Maybe you need to up your calories!
  • clareiow
    clareiow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all your replies and suggestions - I knew I'd find support and advice here!

I had my thyroid checked a couple of Years ago and it came back normal, I also tried to get onto a local NHS plan called body morph and got nowhere because the waiting list was so long (I could have done it privately but at £200 I didn't have the cash).

I'm definitely reviewing and upping my calories a little, I will admit I have lived on 1200 a day for so long my body doesn't really get very hungry so I need constructive ways of adding another 300 on without eating cake or chocolate!!!

I certainly still need to keep my portions down as I know mine are man-sized, especilly in the evening for dinner!

I am about to go on an all inclusive holiday for two weeks which will be a real rest (if I can come back the weight I left I will be VERY happy!) and then I will start kicking on with a fresh approach - literally!
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    A half a cup of cashews is around 300 calories :) That should help you increase without eating a lot more
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't hurt to see your doctor.

But a few things.....

When you're near goal, the weight comes off slower.
    Is your goal reasonable?
    Are you eating enough? Check how many calories you should be eating.
    Exercise = muscles = weight gain. Are you eating back your exercise calories?

If you go to the doctor, bring your diary.

I just saw a dietician earlier this week - very helptful.

Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    In reply to the TDEE query...I'm not sure if I did put in the right level of activity...I have a desk job but at the moment I'm doing 25 mins exercise a day (shred) and then two lots of 35-min runs. Would you call that moderate, very active? I couldn't decide!

Go with "slightly active" and eat back half your exercise cals. As long as you eat between your BMR and TDEE, you will lose weight steadily and healthfully.