USA foods: determining equivalence in Canadian calories

Options
WinnerVictorious
WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
i see this mistake made often by beginning Canadian calorie counters. keep in mind that MFP is an American website, so we use the american kilocalorie as our base unit of measure. however, Canada still uses the royal standard. if you're going to eat food produced in the USA while in Canada, you need to convert those American calories into Canadian (royal) calories, otherwise your food logging will be off.

it's really simple.

- look up the daily exchange rate between the USA and Canada
- apply that conversion factor to the numbers on the label of any food produced in the USA, but eaten in Canada.

for example, if the day's calorie exchange rate is 1.03 Canadian (royal) calories for every 1.00 American calorie, you'd take that number and multiply it by the calorie amounts listed on the package for the American food.

e.g., a 270 calorie American bagel is equivalent to 270 x 1.03 = 278.1 Canadian calories.

this also applies to your macro settings for protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

i hope this was useful for those of you in Canada struggling to understand why you have stalled or hit a plateau. you are simply not logging the correct amount of calories. you can either eat only Canadian food, remember to apply this exchange rate conversion to your logging efforts, or eat as many meals as possible in the USA.

good luck, eh?

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    Options
    910200735934PM_nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options
    That's why I only eat Canadian.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I live close enough to Canada that I am going to start using the Canadian exchange.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Very interesting.

Does the same apply to the UK?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Can you do a conversion equation for our friends in the UK as well, WV?
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

What are you doing tomorrow night?..have I got the proposition for you
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Very interesting.

Does the same apply to the UK?

the conversion process is the same, but you use a different calorie exchange rate.

however, since you're an American living in the UK, the process may be more complex for you. if you've not had your metabolism adjusted to be on the royal standard, then you need to take the inverse of the exchange rate and apply it to your UK calorie amounts to find the correct amount that you are actually ingesting, unless you are only eating American foods while in the UK, in which case you don't need to do anything.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Wait, now I'm confused.....what if I'm a Canadian living in the US?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Sounds so serious...who's hacked your account?
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options

What are you doing tomorrow night?..have I got the proposition for you

Well, tomorrow is Friday and wings are on the menu.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I live 30 minutes away from the US border. What happens if I drive there right now and eat an apple right at the border crossing? Are those negative calories? Or do they add up?
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I live 30 minutes away from the US border. What happens if I drive there right now and eat an apple right at the border crossing? Are those negative calories? Or do they add up?

it' depends where your center of mass is located. since the border itself is imaginary, no matter how hard you try, your center of mass will be on one side of the border or the other. i suggest that nobody eat anything within... say... 10 feet of any international border, just to be on the safe side with your logging.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    So if I shoot a moose in Saskatchewan and it falls dead in Montana, how many calories will be in the moose jerky I make from it?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten a Canadian... any volunteers?

This creepy post brought to you by: Boredom!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sigh,,, us CANADIANS., are PERFECT.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    So if I shoot a moose in Saskatchewan and it falls dead in Montana, how many calories will be in the moose jerky I make from it?

it only matters where you eat it and whether or not you've had your metabolism adjusted from it's default condition.

sometimes, when flying internationally, the TSA screeners will adjust your metabolism for you as a convenience. that's what they are doing when the grope you... they are feeling around for your metabolism adjustment point.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    What happens if the bread I buy south of the border is actually made up of wheat grown north of the border, processed north of the border, baked south of the border, only to be brought back north of the border and consumed?

Is this going to be life or death?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten a Canadian... any volunteers?

This creepy post brought to you by: Boredom!

I do NOT go well with a nice chianti!

*flees*
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    What happens if the bread I buy south of the border is actually made up of wheat grown north of the border, processed north of the border, baked south of the border, only to be brought back north of the border and consumed?

your jet set lifestyle is too complicated. our caveman ancestors never had such worries. you should simplify your life to be more like them.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

your jet set lifestyle is too complicated. our caveman ancestors never had such worries. you should simplify your life to be more like them.

Be like whom? The Canadian cavemen or American ones?