I know it gets asked all the time but..

Options
..I calculated my TDEE on this website: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I'm 5"6, 21 years old, 135 pounds and have a desk job. Eating 500 less than my TDEE puts me at 1237 calories.

Will this put me in starvation mode?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You're well within a healthy weight range from what I can tell. If you're trying to lose just a little bit of weight maybe try TDEE-10 or 15%?
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    its my body fat that's the problem, I am around 28% and fit in UK size 12 where I should be a UK size 8 (according to height and weight) so im not sure how I would lose body fat if I don't also lose weight?

Thank you for your reply.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    its my body fat that's the problem, I am around 28% and fit in UK size 12 where I should be a UK size 8 (according to height and weight) so im not sure how I would lose body fat if I don't also lose weight?

Like the above poster said eating at 10-15% minus your TDEE.

Focusing on your macros

And incorporating strength training into your routine will improve body composition.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    strength training (focus mainly on this), some cardio and making sure you are eating healthy. I have been working on lowering my body fat %.

I am going to add you as my friend on here, you can do this.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    change your macros to 30% protein, 15% fat. Also, if you are not exercising, 1237 is not too low. Cardio will burn fat, but building muscle will make you look leaner.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    For your size the tdee calculation sounds close enough but at this point you should be eating much closer to it. Try a 250-300 deficit combined with resistance training to lower your bf%
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't do a standard cut of calories, do a % of TDEE. Read this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

I agree in theory, but when a 10% cut is like 175 cals, I feel that it comes too close to the margin of error. Miscount a handful of peanuts and the deficit is gone. Not to mention that tdee is a mythical creature to begin with
  • HealthyVitamins
    Options
    awesome, thanks for all your replies! I will definitely be checking out those links and re-evaluating my calorie goal. Also getting the weight training into my schedule.

All your advice is much appreciated.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The option you selected is without exercise. Eat back between 50 - 75% of your exercise calories to make sure you do not have too big of a deficit. A 20% cut off the 1,737 is fine imo as this would be about a 350 calorie deficit which is fine with the amount of weight you have to lose.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options

HOw did you come to the conclusion you "should" be a size 8? I‘m 5'6 and when I was 21 I was a 12, pushing a 10 and well on y way to anorexia.... I was pretty fit and muscled at a 12 - looking scrawny and getting ill as I tried to hit size 10........

I know everyone is different, but I doubt many people could hit size 8 at 5'6 and be within "normal" bmi
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

HOw did you come to the conclusion you "should" be a size 8? I‘m 5'6 and when I was 21 I was a 12, pushing a 10 and well on y way to anorexia.... I was pretty fit and muscled at a 12 - looking scrawny and getting ill as I tried to hit size 10........

I know everyone is different, but I doubt many people could hit size 8 at 5'6 and be within "normal" bmi

While I agree with you in principle that the 'right' size is individual, I am a UK size 8 (US size 6) and am only 2lb from being overweight according to the BMI.
  • HealthyVitamins
    Options

Hi,

This is just based on my frame, I have been a size 8 before and looked fantastic, very fit and healthy.
    my goal is of course to be in the 'normal' bmi, this is why I would like to lose more body fat than actual weight itself, that way I can lose inches, fit into smaller clothes and still be 'normal' on the bmi scale.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ..I calculated my TDEE on this website: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I'm 5"6, 21 years old, 135 pounds and have a desk job. Eating 500 less than my TDEE puts me at 1237 calories.

Will this put me in starvation mode?

presumably that TDEE is without exercise? so you would NET that figure on the days you workout.