Not Hungry After Workout?

p1nkpr1ncess
p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone!

I've found that in all my time of exercising/working out I just lose my appetite afterwards.

Now this might not be such a bad thing but since I usually work out around lunch time when I finish work at 1pm it means that sometimes I aren't hungry enough to eat lunch and end up just having an afternoon snack at about 3.30pm when I've picked up the kids from childcare/school then having my dinner at around 5.30pm.

I know that missing out a meal is not a good thing, but if I'm not hungry what should I do? I have tried upping my calories in my other meals on these days but sometimes I really can't eat that much so end up being really under my calories (by about 300!).

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to counteract it? Or is it not really such a bad thing?
-x-x-

Replies

• Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    I tend to lose my appetite after a workout also. I've heard that it has something to do with your leg muscles? I know that's odd to say but I've heard when you work your leg muscles it's the biggest muscle in your body so it will sometimes make you feel nauseated or lose your appetite because it takes so much energy for your body to pump through them. That might not be right I've never looked it up it's just what my brothers personal trainer said.
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    You should try to eat something after you workout to refuel your muscles and enable them to repair themselves.

I have a protein shake and some sort of carb like a small banana or a rice cake.
    Sometimes I have to force myself to have it but I know it does me more good than not.:flowerforyou:
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    I don't know if it's good or bad, but I'm not hungry after working out either. I'm also not naucious, but the thought of having to go get a snack is too much work. lol I just want to relax and stretch, not worry about eating. However, I do know that you need to eat something within a half hour after working out so that your body has the nutrients it needs to rebuild. The body needs that boost of nutrients after a workout for immediate use. I started making a snack before I work out so I can have it ready and waiting. I still don't always care to actually eat it, but it's easier since it's already made.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Drink a protein shake afterward. It will replenish the nutrients that were lost and your muscles need the extra protein after a workout.

I'm starving after a workout.... I couldn't imagine not being hungry.

I see you're into pole dancing! That's awesome! I took lessons about 4 yrs ago before I had my first baby. I want to start again! It's so fun!
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Thanks everyone! I did think the general consensus was that it's best to eat something after a workout but I've also heard you continue to burn fat after a workout so if fat loss is your aim then it can help?

Good idea about making a snack before the workout! And also - where would I get protein shakes from apart from expensive health supplement stores? I'm in the UK if that helps?!

lvfunandfit - yeah I have been taking pole dancing lessons for almost a year now, got a pole in my front room but not been on it in a few weeks :( Think I lost my pole-motivation for a while! Must get back on it though as I love it! :)
    -x-x-
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    This explains why you should eat right after a workout
    http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html

you don't need to go out and buy all the supplements. Sometimes I just eat a Greek Yogurt.. I hear chocolate milk is good too post workout.
This discussion has been closed.