Alcohol!

Options
I'm sure a lot of us like to have a drink (or a few) now and then. I, unfortunately LOVE beer! I have cut back quite a bit and can really tell a difference. With spring here, it's cook-out time! What is a good drink to enjoy while hanging out with friends? Also, do you record your alcohol in your diary? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If I am going hard like going out with friends or my husband at a bar and its going to be a long night, I call it a wash. IF I am at home and having a few drinks, I record. I am mostly drinking liqour now though because of the content in beer.
  • cindywhitley1
    Options
    Thank you!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No expert, but it seems from other postings vodka with low cal [diet] mix is best option

Personally I say bugger it and have pint of real ale or cider, and i do record some but not all
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If I am going hard like going out with friends or my husband at a bar and its going to be a long night, I call it a wash. IF I am at home and having a few drinks, I record. I am mostly drinking liqour now though because of the content in beer.

This is pretty much me too. I also measure measure measure when at home.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has calories so yes you should definitely log it.

I posted this earlier on another thread but I don't mind repeating myself.

Beer (real beer) is the only reason I do cardio.
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking either the skinny girl pre mixed cocktails or cabernet sauvignon. I log EVERYTHING I drink. Measure everything! I go over my calories but one night of binge (even a biiiiiiig binge) drinking won't kill the diet (at least with my tried and true drinks ^^^)! I have a case of the Bud light lime-a-rita on my counter. Maybe if I keep it warm, I won't want to drink it............. Good luck to you.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I always record mine in my food journal, even when I drink several beers. The other day I went over in calories by A LOT because of beer. It made no difference to my progress, but I know if I drank more often than I do, it would affect my weight and probably my health.
  • andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I record absolutely everything even squash and other drinks. I myself absolutely love beer but when I started MFP I realised just how many calories are in it and its just ridiculous some been as high as 300 cals! So when starting here I decided to switch to vodka lime and soda! Very refreshing in the summer and only around 70cals a drink :)
  • cindywhitley1
    Options
    Thanks guys! These are good ideas and advice! :drinker:
  • lukedwr
    lukedwr Posts: 16
    Options
    I work for a brewery... :smile: but i drive a lot as live nowhere near a bar :angry: so it tends to be tea/ cider+soda. At home it's gin/low-cal tonic
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I always log it, and I make sure I measure it too. When I go out, I have a bottled beer so I know how many ounces it is for sure (although I'm a bartender, so I do generally know what a 12oz/16oz/20oz glass looks like.) At home, I measure out an ounce or two of good scotch with a bit of water. Fortunately, I really enjoy scotch and find a small amount satisfying. Best of all is that now that I'm eating less, one drink is enough to give me the desired buzz. So that's how I deal with it- nothing I can't measure accurately, no sugary mixes, and moderation. No more than a couple drinks a week is my goal.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've mostly switched to vodka with some kind of diet mixer too. I miss lots of beer, but I don't miss my bloated beer belly.

However, DH and I are going to a brew fest Saturday and all bets are off!
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    I log it under it's own category - and it's really helped me cut down on my alcohol consumption! In order to see what the effect of "calories in/calories out" is, you need to record everything. Just my opinion...
  • dimplz369
    dimplz369 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I log when I drink alcohol (always in the "snack" part of my diary). Lately I have just been sticking to vodka club with a lime wedge because its low in calories, and not too delicious that I will down it right away.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't drink nearly as much beer these days...more dry wines and spirits these days. I do indulge in a few beers on the weekend though.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I record absolutely everything even squash and other drinks. I myself absolutely love beer but when I started MFP I realised just how many calories are in it and its just ridiculous some been as high as 300 cals! So when starting here I decided to switch to vodka lime and soda! Very refreshing in the summer and only around 70cals a drink :)

That actually sounds delicious! I will have a beer every once in a while since I'm cheap and when I do I log it.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Beer (real beer) is the only reason I do cardio.

THAT. also my favorite running shirt does say "will run for beer"
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I always count my beers.

Fortunately with summer almost here the next wave of Berliner Weisse beers should be showing up too! Low alcohol, lower calorie, and tart to sour to boot. How can you go wrong?
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking either the skinny girl pre mixed cocktails or cabernet sauvignon. I log EVERYTHING I drink. Measure everything! I go over my calories but one night of binge (even a biiiiiiig binge) drinking won't kill the diet (at least with my tried and true drinks ^^^)! I have a case of the Bud light lime-a-rita on my counter. Maybe if I keep it warm, I won't want to drink it............. Good luck to you.

Bud Light Lime-a-Rita is AMAZING!! Unfortunately can't get it here yet.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I do log alcoholic drinks and just like with food, seeing the amount convinced me to cut back.