Scale Addiction?

Options
2»

Replies

• neotechie
    Options
    Looking at the scale every morning helps motivate me. I find that I benefit from a constant measure of progress, but I have heard that it can hurt a lot of people because they become obsessed. My mother will weigh herself 3 or 4 times a day.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning...but only track the weight on Friday's....up or down...whatever it is....I am basically in maintenance now, I think, so I just wanna make sure I don't go up too much. :) Keeps me in check!
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I do not keep a scale in my home anymore because I would step on that scale obsessively - and it's true that is can really mess with you psychologically. I know some people can easily keep a scale in their home and only step on it once a week or less, but I had a hard time staying off that thing. I think I would be much better about it now, but I also do not want to feel tempted to start counting that number again. :ohwell:
  • cheyjepp1
    Options
    I will honestly say that I got crazy addicted to the scale these past 4 weeks. I was doing the 30 Day Shred, and the scale did not move for me. The worst part was that I was 202 lbs. Just 3 lbs to being in One-derland, so that really added to the "addiction". Finally, after starting level 3, it started to move. I finally dropped to 199 lbs last week!! I was sooo excited about it that I seriously kept stepping on the scale every hour just because the number was absolutely beautiful to someone like me who has been above 200 for more than 5 years.... Earlier this week, I started to get crazy because I was ready to see the scale continue to move down. I tried to calm myself, but I really became obsessed earlier this week. I think what really threw me off was the fact that I went 3 weeks without losing anything due to the 30 Day Shred (I was losing inches which helped to keep me motivated and to stick with it... just completed it yesterday). Another thing that has caused a problem (especially with this week), is that I didn't have my weight loss class this past Monday. We would weigh in on Mondays (I weigh on Fridays on MFP). It's nice to see another downward trend to remind me that I am doing the right things. Since I didn't see that this week, it kinda threw me off. Well, officially this morning I've dropped another 2 lbs from last Friday. I'm excited to weigh tomorrow and see what the scale says. I'm just glad that it's finally moving in the right direction...lol... Although, I have to admit that I'm still get on it all the time due to the fact that I am now 200 lbs in the evening after eating!!! That's also another good reminder for me since I remember being at 205 and 203 in the evenings!!! Hopefully, my addiction will subside now...lol

WOOOO!! That is a huge accomplishment! Keep it up!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I am probably one of the few who prefers to step on the scale daily. I like seeing water weight gains and such. I know that if the scale goes up a few pounds overnight that it's water weight. It doesn't affect my eating habits or my exercise.

What would bother me:

Week 1 weigh day - 205lbs
    Week 2 weigh day - 207lbs
    It would bother me not to know if that was water weight or not.

But seeing a pattern like:

Day 0 - 207.4
    Day 1 - 206.4
    Day 2 - 206.8
    Day 3 - 207.8
    Day 4 - 207.8
    Day 5 - 207.4
    Day 6 - 207.8
    Day 7 - 207.8
    Day 8 - 205.4

This doesn't bother me. I chart it with excel, and over all my weight is going down. I can see the effect of my strength training and the effect of high sodium intake. Where is if I were to weigh on Day 0 and then again on Day 7, I would think what I was doing wasn't working and thus further restrict my calories.

But this is just my mindset. I prefer more data.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have always been a huge fan of weighing everyday. It worked for me for the past 2 years. But just today I put the scale away. I'm not weighing until May 1st. I have been focusing way too much on what the scale will say the next day and it's been stressing me out. I'm excited and feel a little free right now!
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm not weighing at all this month.I too am addicted to the scale.

My logical brain knows the numbers don't mean all that much but a couple pounds can drive me crazy.

A typical day of weighing for me would be : Weigh myself as soon as I get up,go to the bathroom,weigh myself,workout,weigh myself,take a shower,weigh myself,go to work,come home,weigh myself.

It can make you crazy!
    i think once a month or even twice is great. im waaaay addicted and have the same weigh in schedule. i think that using a tape measure would be more than enough at this point. im at a plateau so the scale is really taking away my motivation. in fact im gnna measure myself today , haven't done tht in a while.