lifting question

Options
I started trying to lift this week and want to lift Mon, Wed, Fri. So far I have done the machines in the ladies' section. I walked over to the free weights in the general area and didn't even know where to start... I bought new rules of lifting for women, but have not finished it yet.

Anyway, I have read that it's a good idea to do HIIT on days you don't lift for extra fat burn. I have also read that your'e supposed to rest after lifting or do light cardio (like walking) so you don't damage your muscles more when they're supposed to be healing. What are your thoughts?

BTW, I'm female, 38yo, 5'4", 167lbs, 33%bf according to my scale.

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Do what the book says
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You must rest the mucles you worked on with weight training for 48 hours before lifting again. Cardio in between is fine. Since you just started lifting I would suggest only light cardio at first becuase you will most likely be very sore and you don't want to injure yourself.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ladies section?
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ladies section?
    Lol!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ladies section?

I've worked out in several gyms that have a women only section.

To the OP, doing cardio along with your lifting program is perfectly fine.
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There's really no hard and fast rule... except you do want to rest the muscles you worked like one of the previous comments said. But that doesn't mean you can't do:

M: CHEST
    T: LEGS
    W: BACK
    T: CARDIO/Abs
    F: ARMS
    S: CARDIO/Shoulders
    S: REST

Something like that. In other words, you can lift every day... just workout a schedule that works for you. I personally try and front-load my week with the stuff I want to go heaviest on (Chest... legs... back) and then the end of the week has more of the easier stuff. You can also do cardio every day, the days I'm saying I do cardio are specific cardio-centric days.

That being said... learn about the exercises you can do before entering the Men's Section... :laugh: just kidding!