What was YOUR motivation to start this journey ?

Options
Everyone has their moment where they are officially fed up with their weight / build .
What was yours?

Personally , Mine was when I realized I had stretchmarks ( very few ) around my stomach from gaining weight so fast . It literally made me cry . I'm 18 . I should not have them . THAT was the moment I decided enough is enough .

Share yours ! It helps ! :)

Replies

• JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    About three weeks ago, my moms side of the family decided to go on a 12 week challenge to lose weight and said it would be fun if I joined in.
    I started doing that, but about a week ago I looked in the mirror and just decided it was time to get in shape and look better for my husband.
    So I guess my husband is more of the motivation. I don't want to be one of those girls who just stop caring when they get married. I want to look hot for as many years as I can. :)
  • tmsmith7681
    tmsmith7681 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 31... and just gained some weight the last couple years.

I went to a pub for a friend of a friends bday party. When I was introduced to someone she said "oh you are so pretty, and I love your hair! You could totally be a face model!" At the moment I was like... UGH!!!

Anyway... tired of being overweight and feeling unattractive. Last thing I ever though was that I would become the "old fat lady." LOL

:)
  • tacobella2013
    Options
    When I realized I was the "fat" mom makes me so mad I let myself go on this long and get this over weight. I cant stand the way I feel :(
  • tmsmith7681
    tmsmith7681 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a "fat mom" too! I have 50 pounds I need to sluff off somewhere. Hang in there chica!
  • aj7x
    aj7x Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My jeans became really tight within a matter of months. I'm tried of feeling self conscience. I want to be strong, fit and healthy for once in my life. I always give up when I start feeling comfortable with my body again. This time I am really going to do it!!!!
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wanted to show my ex I could change...... a happy accident as I now feel & look much healthier, plus it spurned my family to lose weight. Collectively, we've lost about 18st.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Being the matron of honor in my sister's wedding (which was last year). I knew I had to do something serious to get the weight off instead of the crap I was trying to do before that clearly wasn't working.

I started MFP and it made the rest of my family start it too :) So we all benefited.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    WHen I had to start using a rubber band to loosen my jeans when wearing them. They fit so tight in waist that I never would button them instead I used a rubber band and linked it together so when I sit it would stretch and I would not feel so miserable. I decided then this is freaking ridiculous!!!
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I was sitting at my mother-in-law's breakfast table and she was talking about her friend who had just lost fifteen pounds. I was feeling gross anyway because my big pants were starting to get tight (I'd outgrown my thin pants and my regular pants months earlier). After she made one more comment about her friend's amazing diet, I told her, "Well, I don't really feel like losing weight right now." She said, "Oh, no, of course not. Your thin enough already." I went home and immediately looked up MFP because a friend of mine had such success with it. When your mother-in-law starts lying to you, you know you've got to do something.
  • kreed09
    kreed09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am sick my clothes being tight.. I want to be heathy and avoid Diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea. Heart Disease runs in the family too. I want to grow old and not look my age
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Health, I am afraid of all the health issues being obese can cause, name just about any disease and being obese gives you a higher chance of getting it than a person at a healthy weight. Not to mention heart attack, I am not afraid of death but I do not want my family to be like "If only she had lost the weight..." when I am gone. However the motivation to start is never my problem it is the motivation to keep going I struggle with.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with chronic depression for most of my life. For years, I'd been having trouble finding the right combination of medication that would help. I kept thinking that when the depression got better, I would lose the weight.

Then one day I realized: who the heck do I think I am? I don't have all the answers. Maybe I had it backwards. Maybe I had to lose the weight first, and then the depression would get better. So I started the next Monday.

Has it gotten better? Sometimes. Is it perfect? No. But every step forward is a positive one.
  • sjenkin6
    sjenkin6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My 20 year old daughter is pregnant and I went to buy some maternity clothes for her. The helpful saleswoman held up this cute shirt and remarked how great it would look on me!!! I advised her that I'm fat, not pregnant, lol!
  • LadyKickAssington
    LadyKickAssington Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself and I looked like an oily pig. I went to the mall and tried on a dress and few other pieces.......I soon found out that I needed to issue an APB for my waist. This is so depressing. I can't wear any of my heels because my feet have gotten bigger :(
  • Runningmyfirst5k
    Runningmyfirst5k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 yr son that I want to be an example for! I want him to see that eating well and working out should be your daily routine. I've gained 50 lbs in five years and it's time to lose it!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It shouldnt be a workout to tie my shoe or shave. I shouldnt have to pay attn so much that I might get up and fall cuz my ankles give out lol I miss running. I miss my boobs being bigger than my belly lol
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I was about to break the 200 mark and realized I had crossed over into the "obese" category. I'm now back to "overweight" and headed for HEALTHY!!!
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    A couple different reasons but lately it’s mainly clothes. I gained some weight since meeting my fiancé and none of the clothes I used to wear fit me anymore. And if they do it’s just awkward. I haven’t bought clothes in so long because I don’t want to buy bigger sizes. And the clothes that I have bought are not as flattering as I used to wear. Everything has to baggy or hang. I haven’t wore jeans in so long. I like the way I dress but I don’t feel as comfortable as I used too. It’s a little vain I suppose but it also has to do with confidence. Dress better, feel better.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    mainly when i realized if i gained another 10 lb, which i would with the way i was eating, i'd hit 200.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to avoid diabetes. My mom died way too soon because of it.