Odd-looking belly??

Options
I hope someone can help! I am 18, 5"4, and currently about 140 pounds. I have lost around 50 lbs in 7 or 8 months. I have always had a bit of an upper belly problem. I am wondering if it'll ever go away! Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to make it better? Here is a pic: http://i.picyou.com/cuXibZ.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight training, a small deficit (1/2 - 1 lb per week) and time. It's just about overall fat loss.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Keep losing the fat and it will disappear eventually.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You need to be patient and just continue losing body fat. I would also highly recommend including strength training if you do not already do so.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Weight training, a small deficit (1/2 - 1 lb per week) and time. It's just about overall fat loss.

^^^ This is correct

You cant spot reduce belly fat.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well the tight band on your pants don't help it, but it looks like some extra skin. Strength training can help also giving your body a chance to catch up to your weight loss. 50 pounds in 7 months is a lot!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno Eat clean diet. Cooler one. It's all the simple carbs stored up in the belly. Will probably be the last weight to come off. You're young and the skin will snap back nicely. Just takes time and some effort.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    clean eating and strength training.

Check out Jamie Eason's live fit trainer. It's free on-line. Gives you a meal plan and workout plan for 12 weeks.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Well, you lost a lot of weight in a short time. The skin needs time to catch up and spring back into shape. You're lucky that you're young, and therefore more 'elastic'! I would suggest upping your exercise (include weights), drink lots of water to keep the skin hydrated, and maybe use moisturiser to keep the skin supple... don't worry, you'll be toned up in a few months. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. That's a great accomplishment. Your belly isn't odd looking; I've seen the same shape in so many before/after photos. It's a combination of remaining body fat and loose skin, both of which should improve with continued weight loss, weight training and time. Your age definitely works in your favor.
  • straightedg4lif
    straightedg4lif Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Same with me started at 200 pounds currently down to 155 and still have what I consider a big stomach. Looking to get to 110, I am 5'3 and have always seemed tp have a belly as long as I can remember even when I was younger and weighed 115, probably since 16 or so even though I was never considered overweight as a kid. I am going to start doing some more weight training and planks and things to try and tone it up. I currently walk a lot and hit a heavybag once or twice a week but that is about it. I eat 1600 calories a day and want to have the stomach that I will not be disgusted about. Hopefully in a few months I will have something to be proud of.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Same with me started at 200 pounds currently down to 155 and still have what I consider a big stomach. Looking to get to 110, I am 5'3 and have always seemed tp have a belly as long as I can remember even when I was younger and weighed 115, probably since 16 or so even though I was never considered overweight as a kid. I am going to start doing some more weight training and planks and things to try and tone it up. I currently walk a lot and hit a heavybag once or twice a week but that is about it. I eat 1600 calories a day and want to have the stomach that I will not be disgusted about. Hopefully in a few months I will have something to be proud of.

Your can probably achieve results well before 115 lbs if you concentrate on fat loss and maintain muscle mass.
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How have you lost the weight that you've lost so far? Was it done by a diet and exercise mix or just one or the other? Even though you lost the weight you might not have really lost much fat, in fact if you were not doing anything to build muscle you might have actually been losing muscle. I would recommend that you start weight training. You can look online and find a 45 minute full body workout you can do 2-3 days a week. If you find that you can finish your last set for each exercise then you increase your weight on the next workout. End each workout with planks to make your core stronger (planks are better then any amount of situps). Then try to also do 30 minutes of cardio 2 days a week. As you build more muscles you will burn more calories and lose more fat. Overtime you will lower your body fat % you will see the results you want - but diet alone will not get you there.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • macandcheese5ever
    macandcheese5ever Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! :)

I have been doing some strength training, as well as cardio and a better diet. I also drink 2 liters of water a day. I've been trying to do weights about twice a week, but I might try to do a bit more.

How many times a week do you all think would be best? Three or four? And focusing on anything in particular, or just general all-over?
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem as you. My weight is finally in the normal range for my height (160, 5'11) and the only thing that I'm still unhappy about it my weird belly! I'm the epitome of the apple body type. My legs have turned to sticks compared to the rest of me and my arms are pretty thin too. Also my butt... well, RIP. Theres been progress in my torso but not as much. I'm hoping that its just waiting to be the last thing to fall off. Congrats on your progress so far. I'm also searching for a solution to my 'odd belly'. Feel free to add me if you like, maybe we can share tips.
  • macandcheese5ever
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss too!

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there with strange weight loss patterns :P
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Generally, weight train 3-4 days a week and cardio 2-3 for a total of 6 days. And concentrate on getting enough protein and fats.
  • macandcheese5ever
    Options
    Great! Thank you!!