I need HELP!!!

Options
Hi

I am a 19 year old male who has fought my weight for most of my life, and I am tired of it. I am 5'6'' and weigh 153 pounds currently. I began MFP about a month and a half ago and I weighed 166 pounds. Yes I have lost 13 pounds but I lost about 8 pounds the first week which I assume was water weight. I am a college student on long island and I am looking to get in shape for the first time in my life. I have tried to be very good with my diet and not eat junk, with the exception of when my family and I eat out. But being a college student it is very hard to eat healthy and stay on track.

Since I started MFP my calories have been set at 1410 calories trying to lose 2 pounds per week, and I rarely go over with the exception of the few days we eat out. In fact, Most of the days I am either within a few calories of my goal or about 100 calories under.

I workout at the gym everyday between an hour and an hour and a half. Everyday I do cardio whether it is treadmill, or elliptical for about 30min and abs. Then on Mondays I do biceps and back, Tuesdays are triceps and chest and Wednesdays are legs and shoulders and I repeat it every week, but I vary the type of workout. And BTW I do get a workout I don't sit around or talk to anyone I am working out the whole time.

Even with my strong exercise regimen and pretty good diet I feel I am not getting the results I should. My stomach is still a lot bigger than I would like. I just feel that I should be burning more fat and losing weight then what I have been.

If anyone has any advice or tips that could help me it would be much appreciated

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You don't sound heavy at all. You may need to firm up a bit, but I don't think 153 lbs. for a male is bad at all. That's what my husband weighed when he came back from Vietnam, looking a bit thin and stressed out from the war, his lowest adult weight, and he's nearly 90 lbs. heavier now at 64.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, 2 lbs per week is too aggressive. It's best to aim for about 1 lb per week based on your size. Next, you should be eating back some of your exercise calories (at least 50% of them or set your account to moderate to very active and not worry about exercise calories); this would put you around 2200 calories. I would also adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats to help with muscle retention. Next, don't workout every day. You need to let your body rest. Next again, lol, do not do cardio every day. I would limit it to 2-3 days max. And finally increase weight training to 3-4 days so you total 6 days of exercise. And when lifting, lift heavy. Low rep, high weight as this will improve strength the most. If you want a good program, look into strong lift 5x5. It's great for beginners.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Low rep, high weight as this will improve strength the most. If you want a good program, look into strong lift 5x5. It's great for beginners.

^^ just a typo. This advice is spot-on perfect.
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't sound to me like you're overweight? I would try P90x or some program to put on some muscle and firm up. Outside of that, I think MFP tends to suggest too low of a calorie goal. If you're spending that much time at the gym perhaps you need to consider eating MORE?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    13lbs in a month and a half is really good.

I agree that 2lbs a week is too much.

I'd look into a more basic lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 of Starting Strength. It should do great things for a beginner your age.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Low rep, high weight as this will improve strength the most. If you want a good program, look into strong lift 5x5. It's great for beginners.

Thanks, good catch. I just changed it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Thanks, good catch. I just changed it.

I just imagined myself in OP's shoes, alternating between sets of 5 and 25. This stuff can be inaccessible and complicated :-)

Edited to add: speaking of confusing, if you can, please delete my comment so it doesn't linger out there causing confusion :-)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    First, you're not even remotely eating enough calories for your age and activity level. Second, if you're working out everyday you must track your protein intake along with calories (otherwise you will seriously gimp your body's ability to build muscle). Third, you should aim for only 1 pound per week of weight loss in order to prevent loss of lean body mass.

Fourth, and most important: set some CONCRETE and ATTAINABLE goals. What body composition are you going for? What level of strength are you going for (i.e., perform X number chin-ups, bench X amount, etc.)? What level of endurance are you going for (i.e., run a 10k, run a 10k in under X time, do a sprint triathalon, etc)? Set goals and go for them! Once the goals are set you can devise an appropriately structured training program. Make sure to track your progress. Once you hit your goals, you can set new goals.
  • yanks21494
    Options
    Everyone thank you so much, I am going to start stronglifts 5x5 on Monday I already did research on it and set up the training program. As for p90x I don't have that but I do have the insanity program which everyone knows is mostly a cardio based program, would it be ok to do cardio or insanity on the days opposite stronglift days?

As for my protein and calorie intake I have been trying to have about 50-75 grams of protein a day is that enough to build muscle while also burning fat?
  • ahamm002
    Options
    As for my protein and calorie intake I have been trying to have about 50-75 grams of protein a day is that enough to build muscle while also burning fat?

No it's definitely not enough. You should aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. I have no idea what your body composition is, but you'll probably want at least 120 grams per day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    First, 2 lbs per week is too aggressive. It's best to aim for about 1 lb per week based on your size. Next, you should be eating back some of your exercise calories (at least 50% of them or set your account to moderate to very active and not worry about exercise calories); this would put you around 2200 calories. I would also adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats to help with muscle retention. Next, don't workout every day. You need to let your body rest. Next again, lol, do not do cardio every day. I would limit it to 2-3 days max. And finally increase weight training to 3-4 days so you total 6 days of exercise. And when lifting, lift heavy. Low rep, high weight as this will improve strength the most. If you want a good program, look into strong lift 5x5. It's great for beginners.

this!
  • yanks21494
    Options
    wow, ok thank you didn't know I was that far off, do you think alternating cardio days and stronglift days would be good or just stick with the lifting?
  • ahamm002
    Options
    wow, ok thank you didn't know I was that far off, do you think alternating cardio days and stronglift days would be good or just stick with the lifting?

Well that depends on your goals and whatnot. Cardio is not "necessary" to burn fat or build muscle. However, HIIT cardio is awesome for conditioning and fat loss. So if you have the time and energy, do it! Just don't do it on the days you lift. Endurance cardio is helpful for maintaining a caloric deficit (especially given a typical college student's weekend). Endurance cardio is not as detrimental as many claim unless you're running ultramarathons.