Shin Splints

2»

Replies

• jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    I wrote an article about shin splints. Beleive it or not they are usually cause by a low fitness level and poor calf flexibility. I use to get them so bad I couldn't walk the day after a run. Started to stretch my calfs almost daily and as my fitness level improved they got better. This of course is the case as long as they aren't stress fractures (only way to tell is if you get an X-ray)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    I wrote an article about shin splints. Beleive it or not they are usually cause by a low fitness level and poor calf flexibility. I use to get them so bad I couldn't walk the day after a run. Started to stretch my calfs almost daily and as my fitness level improved they got better. This of course is the case as long as they aren't stress fractures (only way to tell is if you get an X-ray)
    Thanks for your input, would love to read your article if it's available.:flowerforyou:
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Thanks for your input, would love to read your article if it's available.:flowerforyou:

Pm me ill dig it up and send it to you :) I wrote it about 2 years ago
  • Hearts_2015

Pm me ill dig it up and send it to you :) I wrote it about 2 years ago
    bump
  • Lia125
    Lia125 Posts: 1
    My daughter's shin splints were crippling. She's extreme with her weight training and fitness so building up surrounding muscle was not the issue. For months we tried EVERY remedy we could- lots of people gave lots of advice. What finally worked was a visit to her doctor who ordered an x-ray (to rule out stress fractures) and prescribed physical therapy (she goes twice a week) and an appointment with a Pediatrist who gave her inserts for her shoes to try for a month. If we feel necessary, he will provide orthotics. She's improved slowly but dramantically (finally!) and is now passing her competitors.
  • Hearts_2015
    My daughter's shin splints were crippling. She's extreme with her weight training and fitness so building up surrounding muscle was not the issue. For months we tried EVERY remedy we could- lots of people gave lots of advice. What finally worked was a visit to her doctor who ordered an x-ray (to rule out stress fractures) and prescribed physical therapy (she goes twice a week) and an appointment with a Pediatrist who gave her inserts for her shoes to try for a month. If we feel necessary, he will provide orthotics. She's improved slowly but dramantically (finally!) and is now passing her competitors.
    Thanks for posting.. I just had xrays done to rule out stress fractures since the pain had gotten considerably worse. No stress fractures but still having some pain, I think I jarred my knee a bit early in the week and that may be part of it.

Appreciate you sharing your daughters experience and so glad she's doing much better. I had been thinking I might go the Physical Therapy route as the little exercises, tips etc. others have shared thus far aren't long lasting for me.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    I had it kinda bad on the left. I could hardly walk. I ran on grass till I ran them out. I suggest doing this video. Helped me heaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrHM8XEX38