Just gained back all the weight I lost...wtf!

Options
2»

Replies

• Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The food scale is an interesting idea. Ill give it a shot to see if I'm actually eating more than the serving size thinks it is.

I'm definitely going to look into this tdee much more.

Eating out is almost always lunches. It's usually sushi or a sandwich or this place near work that serves "real food" instead of fast food. I know it sounds odd, but th place sells grilled meats, veggies, rice or potatoes, stews, soups,etc. it's the only place like that I've ever seen in a food court.

Thanks for the info PU.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I do a 3k uphill fast walk 3 times a week (when the weather warms up i will run it) and I do powerlifting twice a week and yoga once a week (it makes the back feel great).

I eat between 1600-2000 calories a day and try to keep my macros at 30/30/30 like it did with SSOS because it did work for a good while.

Maybe it is the thyroid. I'm not quitting the calorie counting yet, but considering the swing back up I have a feeling lll be having some déjà vu ;)

There's no way you're eating enough food. My goal is 1850 and you're a guy, bigger than me, and you workout more than me. You need more food! Figure out your TDEE, eat at a deficit and it'll work out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Start weighing your food. Here's an interesting study about how much estimates can be off. Even dieticians underestimated their calorie intake by a significant amount:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    "In this study they compared caloric intake from 10 female registered dietitians and 10 women of comparable weight who were not dietitians and the study compared the energy intake obtained from 7-day food records with energy expenditure measured over the corresponding 7-day period using doubly labeled water.

Participants were told that the goal was to record food intake as accurately as possible, because it would be compared with the simultaneous measurement of energy expenditure determined by doubly labeled water.

Dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day. "

Also be patient, it takes time.

ETA: another thought about the eating out-- I love to eat out but I don't think that the calorie counts are terribly accurate. I saw a YouTube video the other day where they actually tested the calorie content of a few restaurant items and one of them turned out to be double the amount listed on the website. The only one that was correct was Subway.
  • Bigbluefrog
    Bigbluefrog Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe your not eating enough, the body will go into starvation mode then store fat instead of burn it.

Increase water intake, watch diet sodas and salty foods for retaining water.

Never hurts to check out your thyroid.

I have hypothyroidism and it is tough to lose...it takes effort and lots of exercise.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time losing and keeping it off, too. What MFP has taught me is that consistency is key. I started out haphazardly, but I kept at it, and refined the way I do things. I started seeing MUCH better results. I know I've admitted this before on the forums....I'm lazy. I am cosmic lazy. I try to find the easy way to do everything, Here's my hard learned lessons, for what they're worth:

* Digital food scale!! Measuring cups suck. It takes very little effort to throw an empty container on it, and pour in whatever you are eating.

* Exercise increases metabolism. When I start slacking, so do my results.

* Plateaus: Chances are I'm not eating enough. If that's not it, it's time to recalculate my TDEE, and remeasure my body.

* Weight lifting causes water retention as the muscles heal. When I lift more, the scale slows down or gains. Time to whip out the measuring tape and stop staring at the scale.

* Don't lick the spoon. Everything that goes in my mouth, goes in my food diary. No little bites here and there.

* Fast food has copious amounts of salt. Salt causes water retention. Drink more water, stop eating out so much.

* Drinking lots of water throughout the day and weighing myself afterwards is stupid.

* No "cheat" days. If I want something, I had better figure out how to cram it in and stay within my calorie range. This is for life, right? Then I better start learning how to live within my caloric means.

* Patience really is a virtue. As long as I stay on my path, the weight will come off.

* Foods must be logged daily. Weekends are no exception. It's easier for me to log the night before so I don't have to guess throughout the day.

* That negotiation skills workshop I attended can be applied to weight loss. If I want that piece of candy, then I have to take something out of my food diary worth the same amount of calories before putting it in my mouth.

* I'm only as good as the efforts I put in. Progress is made by being cognizant of my decisions. When I stop paying attention, the scale begins to creep upwards.

* This isn't a diet. It's the way I plan on living for the rest of my life. So, I had better make it enjoyable. Burning out, getting frustrated, and feeling deprived will only sabotage my efforts. I eat whatever I want, but in moderation.

* Get my mind on board with my efforts. If only half of me is committed to this, then I'm doomed to fail. If I'm the one thing holding me back, what the hell is pushing me forward? I can't be my own worst critic; I have to be my own advocate.

* If I have a bad day, binge, or celebrate a little too merrily...tomorrow it's back to my regularly scheduled program. I don't worry about it or beat myself up over it. Life happens, move on! Just make sure tomorrow is better than yesterday. It's easy to fall back into old habits after a high calorie day.

Hope some of this helps. I'm still bumbling along, finding new things to try, and experimenting to learn what works for me. Don't give up too soon. You can do it. It takes time and some work to figure out what you might be doing wrong. That's the "short" list of the things I've had to change....lol.

Edited for stupid typos.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Ok, so maybe there are even more things to try. Didn't realize there are so many out there.

I just made the diary public.
    I don't actually weight the food. When it says 1drumstick, I just record that but don't weigh it.
    Cheat days are probably the weekends but its mostly out of inability to sit down and organize myself.
    I eat out 3-4 times a week.

My bmr is approx 2300-2500 calories according to a couple web tools I tried. Never looked at a tdee.

There is your problem! You aren't eating enough if you are only eating 1600-2000. You have to eat more than your BMR but aim for 20% less than your TDEE. Your body will hold onto anything you eat if it think you are starving it. I'm a short older woman and I lose on what you eat so eat more.
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! One important thing that you need to realize is that in order to succeed think of it as a healthy lifestyle change and not a diet. When people think of it as dieting that is where they tend to struggle. The first step would be to evaluate what you are eating and how much.. Fad diets don't work and there are so many out there it can be confusing for everyone. A clean diet consisting of lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables as well as drinking a lot of water will produce the best results paired with exercise. I notice you are exercising which is great but maybe adding more cardio or strength training will hep expedite your progress. I gained a few pounds over the last couple of years and was also working out, but once I evaluated my diet a little more closely and changed my eating habits paired with exercise the pounds started to come off. Another important thing to remember is that you stated you eat out 3-4 times a week and that alone will sabotage any exercise you do. Diet is very important in achieving your goals. Good luck and I hope things work out for you. If there is anything I can do I would be more than willing to help.
    Lisa
  • roseenk
    roseenk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the correction. Maybe you would like to contribute something else that is actually useful? ;)
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Zombiemusicgi, that's really good advice. You are right; you do have to treat it just as you would a new job.

:flowerforyou:
  • geemecker140
    Options
    Interesting that the Paleo diet didn't work for you.... If you do your research and do it right, and cut back on the nuts/fats/fruits (1-2 serving of each a day) then you should lose weight (even without exercise.) Paleo is especially wonderful if you aren't the type that enjoys counting calories. I'm losing 3-4lbs a week right now eating Paleo, but I have cut my nuts/fats/fruit servings down to 1 a day each and I primarily eat veggies with a bit of meats. Anywho.... it would be worth another try for you, Paleo isn't just for the weight loss, it's for your overall health. And make sure to do your research on how to lose weight on a Paleo diet! Good luck.