Is it possible to eat too much fish?!

Options
Hi

I was thinking about my diet - and was wondering is it possible to eat too much fish?

Example: I'll have fish 4-5 times per week for dinner and maybe tuna salad for lunch pretty often at lunch, or smoked salmon.

Any thoughts?

H

Replies

• JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Eating fish 3x a week is recommended. As long as you eat a good portion of it . I love fish btw, salmon and catfish!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    There is a certain amount of heavy metals in fish, especially the older , bigger ones like tuna. Trout, salmon you can have as much as you want (within reason) if you eat too much tuna, you risk mercury exposure
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Tilapia because of omega 6.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708092228.htm

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ so we don't get tilapia. I mainly eat salmon, cod, terakihi, gurnard and canned tuna for lunches, although I try to not eat too much of that because of the mercury levels. Does anyone know how much you'd have to eat to be at risk?
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't quote me but I've read that you should have canned tuna no more than 3 times a week.

I've been pescetarian for 5 years and I have yet to die from mercury poisoning! :D success!
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love Salmon, if you want to eat it more then 2 or 3 times a week, I believe you need to make sure you're eating wild Salmon and not farm raised Salmon. From my knowledge the farm raised is higher in Omega-6 then Omega-3.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ so we don't get tilapia. I mainly eat salmon, cod, terakihi, gurnard and canned tuna for lunches, although I try to not eat too much of that because of the mercury levels. Does anyone know how much you'd have to eat to be at risk?

Canned tuna is fine to have every day (one serving) as long as you are eating the "chunk light tuna" variety. This is a smaller species and has less mercury than the larger albacore. Trust me, it is possible to get sick from eating the albacore every day. It happened to me last year, though it took months to build up in my body, it also took months to feel better... Just be careful. Fish is fine, just make sure you know what you're eating. :)

Edited to add: I did not actually eat the albacore EVERY day - more like 4-5 times a week on average.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have too much of anything. That being said, you are not anywhere close to too much fish. Log the cals, watch your numbers and rock on.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    less if you are pregnant, so I swapped out for salmon every other day... best lunch ever
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I love Salmon, if you want to eat it more then 2 or 3 times a week, I believe you need to make sure you're eating wild Salmon and not farm raised Salmon. From my knowledge the farm raised is higher in Omega-6 then Omega-3.
    Correct. That and Catfish too I believe.

Not saying not to eat fish, just don't eat too much of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I was thinking about my diet - and was wondering is it possible to eat too much fish?

yes cause of the mercury that are in the fish. JS other than that their healthy.
    here is the link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-chopra/mercury-fish_b_893631.html
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Nope, farm raised is higher in n:3's than 6's, about two and half times as much.

ninerbuff.......... that link on the tilapia has always pissed me off. Even though there are more omega 6, than 3's, and generally speaking in and around a 2:1 ratio which is perfectly acceptable, tilapia has practically no fat to begin with. For example 100g's of tilapia has about 200mg's of n:6's, while farm raised salmon has around 2000mg's but also has about 5000mg's of n:3. What's kinda weird is that wild altlantic salmon only has about 200mg's of n:6's but has less omega 3's at around 2000. Most farmed operations use fishmeal that contains corn and soy which increases the omega 6's and because they contain about twice as much fat the omega 3 content goes up. The ratio mind you is still acceptable considering there's still more n:3's than n:6's. Even the 80% lean beef has twice the n:6 as tilapia at around 400, but the n:3 content is only about 50mg's which is a ratio of 8:1, not good for comparison purposes, but again, this exercise is pointless because all of these have relatively low levels of omega 6's when you consider a granola bar with almonds has 900mg's of n:6 and 25mg's of n:3's for a ratio of 36:1or another simple example is 2 tbsp of peanut butter with 4400mg's of n:6 and 24mg's of omega 3 for a ratio of 183:1. Basically that article was never proof read by anyone that knows anything about nutrition.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    ...I need to go and get some haddock for dinner. I wish it wasn't on the shortage list though. D: