please help: I'm picking UP weight! how!?

Options
2»

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Look here to work out how much you really should be eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Good info
  • AllieLillyMae
    Options
    I'm a shorter, older, stay at home mom, who exercises an average of an hour or less a day, and I lose on 1800+ cals a day. Food is fuel - eat too little for too long and you're giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Not eating back exercise cals is a mistake, especially set at 1200 a day. That 1200 is likely below your BMR, your coma calories, what your body would burn if you stayed in bed all day long and did nothing but breathe. MFP won't set you any lower than 1200 because it's considered to be the bare minimum intake for women.

MFP is designed that exercise cals are to be consumed - the deficit is already in your daily goal, meaning eat to goal, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. That's why they add the exercise cals back into your daily goal - they expect you to eat them.

Eating so low, I would guess that your body is trying to hang onto whatever it can, hence the lack of loss, and even showing gains. Could be some water weight too - do you track sodium? Do you drink plenty of water every day?

Couldn't agree more.

People need to get out of the mind set "If I don't eat alot, I'll lose weight" (No offense to you 3333r, not saying you say or think that, i'm just saying in genreal ^_^ ) Eatting is what are bodies need. Eatting clean food.
  • 3333R
    3333R Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm a shorter, older, stay at home mom, who exercises an average of an hour or less a day, and I lose on 1800+ cals a day. Food is fuel - eat too little for too long and you're giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Not eating back exercise cals is a mistake, especially set at 1200 a day. That 1200 is likely below your BMR, your coma calories, what your body would burn if you stayed in bed all day long and did nothing but breathe. MFP won't set you any lower than 1200 because it's considered to be the bare minimum intake for women.

MFP is designed that exercise cals are to be consumed - the deficit is already in your daily goal, meaning eat to goal, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. That's why they add the exercise cals back into your daily goal - they expect you to eat them.

Eating so low, I would guess that your body is trying to hang onto whatever it can, hence the lack of loss, and even showing gains. Could be some water weight too - do you track sodium? Do you drink plenty of water every day?

Couldn't agree more.

People need to get out of the mind set "If I don't eat alot, I'll lose weight" (No offense to you 3333r, not saying you say or think that, i'm just saying in genreal ^_^ ) Eatting is what are bodies need. Eatting clean food.

Ally no offence taken, but true words! That is exactly how I
    see it <blush>.

I am going to go up to 1600 cal and see what happens :)
  • 3333R
    Options
    I would try dropping a deuce, if you haven't.. Also, eat more, too much of a deficit can work against you. I'd try to eat at least 15-1600, if I were you.

Oh my word - never thought I'd say this in a public forum,
    But IT WORKED! Tried your suggested method WestCoast
    and I'm right back down 2 kilos! What!? That's just insane lol!

Haven't lost anything :( but still - didn't gain after all
    either :O

From now on, I solemnly swear to 'drop the deuce'
    before attempting a weigh in! :D:D:D
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Normally you should weigh yourself in the morning after "dropping a Deuce" and before eating. from morning to night can be a 5-10lb difference. Weigh yourself at the same time once a week
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Are you breast feeding as well? If so, your body is burning a lot of calories just from that so you definitely need more than 1200.

^^^^ this

And also, if you are, the amount of milk currently in your boobs will add to your scale weight. Only weigh yourself in the morning after baby's first feed of the day (or if your baby's like mine and spent the whole night latched on, first thing in the morning when the boobs are empty before they get a chance to fill up with milk again)
  • 3333R
    Options
    ^DEUCES ROCK!^