healthy kid meals

Options
cinandchris
cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for making healthy stuff that kids will eat? My kids are 3 and almost 8 and very picky :grumble:

Replies

• cinandchris
    Options
    Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for making healthy stuff that kids will eat? My kids are 3 and almost 8 and very picky :grumble:
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    I like to make homemade mac and cheese (for myself). I use dreamfield low carb pasta--it tastes just like regular--and lowfat cheese. Smart balance lite is a great butter sub.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My daughter(3) loves the La Tortillas lo carb wraps with all sorts of stuff in them
    Cream cheese and PB
    PB raisins
    FF cheese (microwaved to melt)
    PB Bananas

I use just enough PB to give it flavor, she doesn't care if there is lots, and it is much less messy!! She loves all veggies to so I add them on the side for her. (not sure how I ended up so lucky but she would choose brussel sprouts over cookies any day!) I don't understand this at all but I am certianly not going to argue!!!!!!!!! :laugh: I LOVE the individual size veggie steamers. They are just the right size for the kids and very simple to make for her even if it isn't something I was planning.

I also have found that even if she isn't really excited about what I make her she will eat it all if I let her sprinkle just a little bit of cinnamon sugar or something on it. She is getting so independant and that makes it something she did all by herself. "cause I am getting all grown up mom" :laugh:

They would also eat cereal 3 meals a day if I let them so I will make them kix and bananas for most snacks. And the world is coming to an end if I don't have string cheese in the house!

Oh, and Lunchables now has little lunchables jrs with toddler friendly snacks.

Okay, I think I am just rambling now!! Good luck hopefully you get some good ideas here.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    They love chicken, so I cook a lot of that. I went from buying the frozen chicken nuggets (loaded with fat and sodium, I know:grumble: ) to cutting the chicken into bite size chunks and cooking it in a saute pan.
    They dip it in their favorite sauces, and they like it a lot! In fact, now my daughter says that the nuggets I used to buy "taste funny". They like salads too...with lots of veggies. I use the reduced calorie dressings so they don't get a lot of fat and calories poured on top of a healthy salad.
  • cinandchris
    Options
    Thanks everyone : )
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    My girls are really into fish right now. I just broiled some Tilapia with a few seasonnings and serve it with broccoli and they are happy as can be.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    My kids love the whole wheat pasta with extra virgin olive oil and grilled veggies with some parma on top. We will add in some shrimp, chicken or turkey. It is a hit.
    We make what ever we eat for the kids. It is a great way for them to try new things
  • ms213804
    ms213804 Posts: 5
    Options
    If you are also up for lunch ideas to make your kids more interested in their food -

My mom used to let us stir the peanut butter and jelly together before she spread it on our sandwiches. It tastes great and is a LOT less mess!!
  • Aoife101
    Aoife101 Posts: 7
    Options
    When I was younger I was a very fussy eater. My mum improvised by making homemade soup using

10 celery sticks
    2 medium sized carrots
    1 leek
    1 large potatoe
    A breast of chicken
    A chicken stock cube
    1 and a half pints of water.

She would chop up all the veg, mix the stock with the water, add the veg and then boil for half and hour. When it was cooked she would blend it to get rid of the lumps for me! I didn't know that all the ingredients were the same ingredients I wouldn't eat for dinner in the weeks previous!! I loved it!