TED Talk on Processed Food (short)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_DaJKsCLo

I love some processed foods, and will probably never give them up completely. This is an eye-opener, though, and makes me glad I have stopped eating some things...

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    But blue stained intestines......!!!
  • Lialena
    Lialena Posts: 45 Member
    It's interesting, but poorly executed in my opinion. Of course a more complex product with more parts to break up will take longer, whether or not one scares you with mention of a gas related chemical being part of the make-up of the product. She oversimplifies the issues. It looks like the goal was to shock people, so at least is succeeds in that.

For a more in depth overview of the issues with modern food and it's production have a look at this talk from Mark Bittman:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_bittman_on_what_s_wrong_with_what_we_eat.html

His talk has it's flaws, but at least has more depth and there is some useful information.

If after that you suddenly find yourself inspired to be a force for change in your area, then I'd encourage you to also learn about bee deaths, sustainable farming practices (did you know that modern farming is resulting in our top-soil running off into the rivers and out to sea?), and make use of your yards and balconies to grow what you can at home (not just veggies, but also flowers for the birds, bees, and other wildlife in the area).

Further interesting talks can be found by searching for words like Farm, Soil, and Food on TED, and narrow the search results to just the talks (option on the left side of the results).
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    It's interesting, but poorly executed in my opinion. Of course a more complex product with more parts to break up will take longer, whether or not one scares you with mention of a gas related chemical being part of the make-up of the product. She oversimplifies the issues. It looks like the goal was to shock people, so at least is succeeds in that.

For a more in depth overview of the issues with modern food and it's production have a look at this talk from Mark Bittman:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_bittman_on_what_s_wrong_with_what_we_eat.html

His talk has it's flaws, but at least has more depth and there is some useful information.

If after that you suddenly find yourself inspired to be a force for change in your area, then I'd encourage you to also learn about bee deaths, sustainable farming practices (did you know that modern farming is resulting in our top-soil running off into the rivers and out to sea?), and make use of your yards and balconies to grow what you can at home (not just veggies, but also flowers for the birds, bees, and other wildlife in the area).

Further interesting talks can be found by searching for words like Farm, Soil, and Food on TED, and narrow the search results to just the talks (option on the left side of the results).

awesome post.

I live in NYC and I'm planting veggies in pots in my cement "back yard" and even here there are plenty of farmers markets where you can buy local.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I eat almost nothing in the way of processed food and make a point of avoiding any food with added chemicals. The salad dressing that I use has nothing beyond food ingredients and not many ingredients at that. I eat sweet potato chips but all there is in them is sweet potatoes, "cold pressed oil" and sea salt. Other than that, I eat organic vegetables and fruits (as much as possible), organic raw milk cheddar (and some other dairy), organic eggs, "wild caught" fish, and "naturally raised" beef and chicken. Our food bills for my husband and me are not high (but we are not big eaters). In general, processed food is pretty expensive when you account for the fact that it is a nutritional "less than zero".
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    I eat almost nothing in the way of processed food and make a point of avoiding any food with added chemicals. The salad dressing that I use has nothing beyond food ingredients and not many ingredients at that. I eat sweet potato chips but all there is in them is sweet potatoes, "cold pressed oil" and sea salt. Other than that, I eat organic vegetables and fruits (as much as possible), organic raw milk cheddar (and some other dairy), organic eggs, "wild caught" fish, and "naturally raised" beef and chicken. Our food bills for my husband and me are not high (but we are not big eaters). In general, processed food is pretty expensive when you account for the fact that it is a nutritional "less than zero".

How fortunate that you are rich enough to eat that way. Some of us have no choice but to eat a packet of ramen now and then. There was a time when I could afford a jar of peanut butter to get me through some weeks, and I consider myself lucky knowing how hungry people are in other parts of the world. I doubt any of them give a flying crap if the apple you hand them is organic or loaded with every pesticide under the sun.

Food is processed to make it cheap and more easily available. Don't look down your nose at people who can't afford better than that. Be glad that your life is so much more... "comfortable."
  • CoachReddy

How fortunate that you are rich enough to eat that way. Some of us have no choice but to eat a packet of ramen now and then. There was a time when I could afford a jar of peanut butter to get me through some weeks, and I consider myself lucky knowing how hungry people are in other parts of the world. I doubt any of them give a flying crap if the apple you hand them is organic or loaded with every pesticide under the sun.

Food is processed to make it cheap and more easily available. Don't look down your nose at people who can't afford better than that. Be glad that your life is so much more... "comfortable."

this is an excuse.

I make a couple hundred a week living in NYC - the most expensive city in the world - and I eat organic, local whole foods.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Also, ice cream is DELICIOUS. I am going to eat the hell out of some of that processed goodness tonight, because it's half off this week and my husband wants some. Pardon me while I go grind some flax seed to suck on in anticipation of chemical armageddon in my belly.

Ugh.
  • Ascolti_la_musica

this is an excuse.

I make a couple hundred a week living in NYC - the most expensive city in the world - and I eat organic, local whole foods.

Show me a day's calories of fresh, organic fruits, vegetables and meat, and I will show you a week's calories for the same price.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Posted this for entertainment, and "food for thought." I should have known the elitist fru fru crowd would show. I'm out of this thread.
  • CoachReddy

this is an excuse.

Show me a day's calories of fresh, organic fruits, vegetables and meat, and I will show you a week's calories for the same price.

my dairy is open. I spend about $50-$60/week.

go for it.
  • CoachReddy
    Posted this for entertainment, and "food for thought." I should have known the elitist fru fru crowd would show. I'm out of this thread.

HOW DARE WE CARE ABOUT OUR HEALTH AND OUR IMPACT ON OUR ENVIRONMENT!!!!

lol
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    bump
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member

Holy Donkey Balls Batman! You got amped up quick. How do you get this poster was looking down on you from this post?
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member

I guess I don't really get your intent in starting this thread. In your first post it seemed like you thought the the video had something to offer and you stated you were glad you gave up some processed food. People commented - Yay, whole foods are good for you! The farmer's market is awesome! Then you came back with whole foods are too expensive you elitists, I love ice cream. I'm out.

^Obviously that is paraphrased, but I think it shows the gist of the thread so far.^

I like ice cream too OP but I also see the value in eating whole foods as well as foods that are grown locally. It doesn't have to be expensive either, our local farmer's markets are much cheaper than the grocery stores in the summer. IM(notsoexpert)O balance is key to maintaining sanity and preserving your health.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

this is an excuse.

So, are you paying rent, utilities, clothes (or is that why you aren't wearing any), etc. and buying all this organic food in NYC on $200 a week? Are you self supporting on that amount alone? :huh:
  • CoachReddy

this is an excuse.

So, are you paying rent, utilities, clothes (or is that why you aren't wearing any), etc. and buying all this organic food in NYC on $200 a week? Are you self supporting on that amount alone? :huh:

this particular month and last have been slow. usually i make more. but yes I am.

I also freelance as an actor so there are some times where I get big influxes of cash and other times where it's much leaner. quite unpredictable.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

Believe me, I do NOT look down my nose at people who can't afford better food. I consider it criminal that people are deprived of the foods they need to stay healthy and active. But I save a lot of money by NOT purchasing a lot of things that work against those goals. Our local food bank gives away tons of fresh fruits and vegetables every year. I volunteer there and am very happy to see young families going out the door with loads of them. You have a chip on your shoulder that really doesn't need to be there. I know what it is like to be poor and I am not "rich" now.
  • bcattoes

this is an excuse.

this particular month and last have been slow. usually i make more. but yes I am.

I also freelance as an actor so there are some times where I get big influxes of cash and other times where it's much leaner. quite unpredictable.

So, the answer was no, not yes.
  • CoachReddy

this is an excuse.

what do you want out of this exchange? to prove that eating well isn't affordable? because it very clearly is. my AGI last year was $16,000 and I was able to eat a diet consisting of primarily whole foods. y'all are funny.
  • bcattoes

this is an excuse.

what do you want out of this exchange? to prove that eating well isn't affordable? because it very clearly is. my AGI last year was $16,000 and I was able to eat a diet consisting of primarily whole foods. y'all are funny.

I never said eating well wasn't affordable. I just don't see why you had to falsify information in an attempt to prove it. Organic is not necessary for health nor is it a guarantee that you are eating well. It just means you are eating less or different pesticides.