Finally got Hubby on board!!!!

Options
LuckyLeprechaun
LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
My husband has always been pretty fit most of his life, very athletic, loves to lift weights, etc. Well his method of weight loss has been....I can eat whatever I want as long as I work out enough to burn it off. This is *kind of* true, but he wasn't measuring or keeping track of anything, so his weight has been creeping up. He also believes his tummy has a clock...he thinks eating dinner is guaranteed to make you gain weight. :noway: So he refuses to eat dinner, gets really hungry and then at 9 o'clock he goes and wolfs down half of a container of ice cream, justifying that he went to the gym so this sugar bomb is okay.

We have an agreement not to drink alcohol until our son graduates high school next month, so that along with MFP has helped me drop the first 5 really quick (Yay for me!) but he has actually gained a pound (wonder why? ICE CREAM!!!!!). He was so frustrated that his "no dinner and I'll just work out a lot" method is failing. Yesterday I got him to let me create a MFP account for him....woohooo step 1! Today he called me from work to tell me all that he had eaten so far and let me log it for him. Slowly but surely I am going to help him learn that dinner isn't the enemy, and that keeping track of intake does result in success!

Now that I know how many calories he has left for dinner, I can tailor myself to that and we can have a dinner together that respects our calorie goals and keeps him out of the ice cream bucket. Hooray!

YAY MFP!

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    If he has 800 calories left for dinner, serve something nice with grilled chicken and a little tater and tons'a veggies and fill him up with 650 cal's,,, and then at bedtime give him a couple scoops of ice cream anyway :laugh: If he protests, show him his diary and prove that he can afford it.

My wife and I are both members here, and I tailor dinner around what she has left all the time. Easy, interesting and fun. I've invented some great stuff trying to fill her up on 300 cal's.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My hubby is on MFP also. It's great isn't it? I love being able to share with him and he is so supportive. He is very athletic but has about 25 lbs to lose. He doesn't plan on logging his food (I'm still deciding if I'm going to do it for him)... there is nothing but healthy food in the house & we eat breakfast & dinner together so I know he'll still be eating healthy meals. He'll log exercise & troll the boards though... but it's still nice having him here.
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    Congrats. I should make an account for my hubby too. Since I make almost all his food and we work out together it shouldn't be too hard to log it for him. I don't think I'm feeding him enough as he keeps losing weight and he doesn't want or need to. :laugh: We are both in the get fit and build muscle phase.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That's great!!! I wish my babe would get on it. :\ He wants to gain weight but doesn't realize that just eating a lot of Taco Bell to gain weight isn't the HEALTHY way...and then will say he wants to eat healthier and texts me he's eating "healthy" food which is a tostada with chicken, lettuce & tomato. *facepalm*
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    LOL OMG are you psychic!? HA!
    He has 767 left, so I get a nice big lunch for about 500 and I'll have 700 or so for dinner and VOILA!

I love that MFP has taught me that I can get stuffed on 300 cals! Super :love:

About the ice cream...I don't know if he can do just a couple scoops. We were talking about serving sizes, and I showed him the 1/2 cup measuring cup (the serving size on the ice cream he was eating), and he started laughing. He normally serves himself in the neighborhood of 4-6 cups! I think (for awhile) we're better off without ice cream in the house. I can easily resist, because I don't like it, but it's his favorite sweet indulgence. No need to derail him with temptation in the beginning...
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My husband is also on MFP. He logged all his food for the first week but last week he didn't do as well. He noticed that since he didn't log it he would overeat. He is now back on board and logging his food again. He also is in a little competition that I think will help him be able to lose more weight. It's nice to see him making the same choices as me it makes it easier to be able to do this with him right there with me.
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    :embarassed: Just signed hubby up. Opps I've been way under-feeding him. Time to up his intake by 800 calories.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    It is a little aggravating that I get 300 less calories than he does, and I am set for 1 lb a week loss, while he's set for 2 lbs/week loss. He eats 300 more cals and loses twice as fast!? LOL
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I found a solution for myself on ice cream (I love ice cream). I am not sure if you have a Smith's Marketplace (Fred Meyer) but I found some gelato (Italian ice cream) from there (brand is Fendall's). Serving size is the same as ice cream but it only has 60 cal so even if he goes crazy with it and ate the container (2 cups 4 servings) he would end up with 240 calories from it. Which is a around the same amount as Ben and Jerry's or Haagan Daas one serving. When I first started to eat it I had a hard time eating less than 2 servings but now I have a hard time eating more than one serving. I haven't eaten ice cream since I found this alternative.
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My Hubby is on here too. He is a HUGE supporter and goes to the gym pretty much every single day with me. He has lost like 20lbs so far. If it weren't for him I would probably be sitting at home every night eating ice cream and cookies. He and I discuss our foods and plan our meals and make sure we log everything we eat. I love him!
  • CasperO
    Options
    It is a little aggravating that I get 300 less calories than he does, and I am set for 1 lb a week loss, while he's set for 2 lbs/week loss. He eats 300 more cals and loses twice as fast!? LOL
    Yeah, we have big furnaces that burn lots'a stuff, sorry. Physiology sux sometimes.
  • DoctorLaura
    DoctorLaura Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Isn't it great to have a live in support system!

I sincerely doubt I would be where I am without my hubby's support. At first his support was passive--he'd eat whatever I was eating and lose weight twice as fast (not on purpose of course...apparently a common trend among couples, from what I've read...LOL) But now he makes a conscious effort to keep track and to make healthier choices. In fact it was my husband who introduced me to MFP (I started out on another excellent website).

It's especially nice when he volunteers to cook--I don't have to worry that what he makes will derail my efforts--and we've been having a lot of fun trying out new recipes together.

It's nice to hear that there are other couples out there helping each other attain/maintain a healthy lifestyle!
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    This makes me sad!

My husband says he supports me, but he gets mad when I can't afford to eat what he wants.

GRRR
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My husband joined MFP when I did in January--I do have to help him log his food sometimes, but he's been brilliant and supportive, both in eating and exercise.

I have to be careful about what I keep in the grocery cupboard, though, because he's inclined to binge on salty/savoury treats.
    My cure for icecream is buying low calorie frozen yogurt in a small tub. The maximum damage that can be achieved with a whole tub is around 400cals, lol.
  • SarahAlt
    SarahAlt Posts: 44
    Options
    My husband introduced me to MFP and we're both doing great. Our weakness is indeed late night ice cream binges. We were doing good and didn't have any ice cream in the freezer until last week. Chris brought home some weight watchers ice cream bars. When those were gone he brought home some yarnell's something or other. I'm not sure what it is because I've been intentionally staying away from it but I can confirm that it has been there for almost a week. That's a pretty good record for my husband who can eat an entire gallon in one sitting. He also brought home some blue bell ice cream bars that are freakin' delicious. I think ice cream bars are probably the way to go. Now my only problem is keeping myself from undereating on nutritious food just so I can fit in the extra calories. :tongue:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    So right after I was bragging abut him, he came home tonight and put away a quart (yes an entire quart) of ice cream. He had 767 cals left for dinner and he ate 1500 cals of ice cream....:noway:

Facepalm!!!!
  • CasperO
    Options
    Ok, so he wound up with -733 for the day. Before this he would have eaten that much plus 500 more. It's a start,,, :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!