Is a gluten free diet good for weight loss?

Options
Hiya I am starting a gluten free diet where I get rid of any gluten food. Also my diet consist of natural food so fruit, veg nothing processed. Do you think this would be effective?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's the quantity of foods you eat that will be effective, doens't matter what they are. A gluten-free diet is no healthier than any other food regimen, and is only necessary if you have a sensitivity to gluten.

The no-processed food approach is good, though. But log what you eat.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A gluten-free diet isn't necessarily designed for weight loss. Eating fewer calories than you burn is the only thing that results in weight loss.

But since many of the foods that have glutens in them are also processed starches, it might be good for you. I recommend doing a bit more research before you get your hopes up.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What loses weight is a Calorie deficit. There is no magic diet. Eat sensibly,exercise and create a deficit. If you need to exclude gluten due to intolerance Tec do so but it's no magic bullet regarding weghtloss.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    No,no,no,no. Gluten free should only be for thiose with celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. We have to eat like this the rest of our life not until we lose the pounds we want. It may actually make you gain weight as a lot of gluten free processed foods are high in calories.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that it is estimated around 30%- 50% of the population could have some form or a gluten sensitivity. It is way too early to tell at this point as their are not many tests to find out. The best way to find out are with a AGA-IgA and the AGG-IgG blood test. I have it and didn't know for the last 33 years! Here are the symptoms which I have 90% of them.

Diarrhea and/or constipation
    Abdominal pain and/or heartburn
    Bloating
    Fatigue
    Brain fog
    Anemia
    Joint pain
    Rashes
    Depression and/or anxiety
    Weight gain weight loss and
    Inability to lose weight
    Inability to gain weight
    Teeth problems (yellow and frequent cavities even when you brush and floss all the time)
    Psoriasis, eczema, hives or skin rashes
    Missed periods (seems to be more prevalent in pcos women too)
    Being super itchy

Elevated AGA-IgG levels are found in about 10% of the overall population, and frequently are seen in other autoimmune diseases, such as type 1 diabetes, autoimmune thyroid disease, autoimmune hepatitis, and inflammatory bowel diseases. This study is only estimates 10% of the population simply because the rest of the 20-40% are unaware they have the sensitivity and have not been tested for it.

Some people think its because of how processed wheat is these days and the types of strains we have verses the types that were unadulterated we ate 100 years ago. Every single time I eat gluten I gain 3-4 pound overnight. I still eat it as I am a baker but limiting it has helped me dramatically with weight loss and my energy levels. At this point if I do eat a large amount of gluten I feel so bad and have such an energy dip I can barely keep my eyes open for a few hours, I get a flare up with my psoriasis, constipation, I get SUPER itchy and my stomach hurts.

I guess a lot of people think "carbs are bad" and the only diet that works for them is Adkins. People, its NOT the carbs, its the gluten!!!! Carbs are actually good for you! You can still have rice, potatoes and even gluten free baked goods! Trust me on this. Try it for a week. I have psoriasis and within a week of cutting out the gluten it got like 70% better. It almost disappeared! What can it hurt?

So yes, gluten free or low gluten diets can help with weight loss if you have the sensitivity.

Sources:
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/How-Many-People-Have-Gluten-Sensitivity.htm
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Gluten-Allergy-Symptoms.htm
    http://gluten.lovetoknow.com/Gluten_Intolerance_and_Losing_Weight
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/Gluten-Sensitivity-Testing.htm
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that it is estimated around 30%- 50% of the population could have some form or a gluten sensitivity. It is way too early to tell at this point as their are not many tests to find out. The best way to find out are with a AGA-IgA and the AGG-IgG blood test. I have it and didn't know for the last 33 years! Here are the symptoms which I have 90% of them.

Bloating
    Fatigue
    Brain fog
    Anemia
    Joint pain
    Rashes
    Inability to lose weight
    Inability to gain weight
    Teeth problems (yellow and frequent cavities even when you brush and floss all the time)
    Being super itchy

Elevated AGA-IgG levels are found in about 10% of the overall population, and frequently are seen in other autoimmune diseases, such as type 1 diabetes, autoimmune thyroid disease, autoimmune hepatitis, and inflammatory bowel diseases. This study is only estimates 10% of the population simply because the rest of the 20-40% are unaware they have the sensitivity and have not been tested for it.

Some people think its because of how processed wheat is these days and the types of strains we have verses the types that were unadulterated we ate 100 years ago. Every single time I eat gluten I gain 3-4 pound overnight. I still eat it as I am a baker but limiting it has helped me dramatically with weight loss and my energy levels. At this point if I do eat a large amount of gluten I feel so bad and have such an energy dip I can barely keep my eyes open for a few hours, I get a flare up with my psoriasis, constipation, I get SUPER itchy and my stomach hurts.

I guess a lot of people think "carbs are bad" and the only diet that works for them is Adkins. People, its NOT the carbs, its the gluten!!!! Carbs are actually good for you! You can still have rice, potatoes and even gluten free baked goods! Trust me on this. Try it for a week. I have psoriasis and within a week of cutting out the gluten it got like 70% better. It almost disappeared! What can it hurt?

So yes, gluten free or low gluten diets can help with weight loss if you have the sensitivity.

Sources:
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/How-Many-People-Have-Gluten-Sensitivity.htm
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Gluten-Allergy-Symptoms.htm
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/Gluten-Sensitivity-Testing.htm
    wow! those symptoms cover just about everything...no wonder so many people think they're gluten intolerant!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's the quantity of foods you eat that will be effective, doens't matter what they are. A gluten-free diet is no healthier than any other food regimen, and is only necessary if you have a sensitivity to gluten.

^^ This

A gluten-free diet has nothing to do with weight loss. A calorie deficit is what causes weight loss.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options

Bloating
    Fatigue
    Brain fog
    Anemia
    Joint pain
    Rashes
    Inability to lose weight
    Inability to gain weight
    Being super itchy

Sources:
    wow! those symptoms cover just about everything...no wonder so many people think they're gluten intolerant!

And thats why there are AGA-IgA and AGG-IgG blood tests to find out. I think its more of a "if you have MANY symptoms on this list then you might want to get checked, not just 2-3 of them". I have almost all of them and have been checked so I know I do.

Again, recent studies think it could be as high as 50% of the population has an intolerance so I guess there is some truth to a lot of people "think" they have it. Well, because they probably do.

Thanks for being so judgmental
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sugar and wine aren't very helpful if you are of a certain age even with a deficit. Gluten affects the gut and the bowel, you can eat healthy and still gain weight. Really its about deficit (eating less than you expend) and then when you near your goal it's about what's stopping you? Like in my case chocolate and wine :(
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    Many people have a sensitivity to gluten ...so if you do ...eating gluten free will help you lose weight. You could eliminate gluten for 6 weeks and then reintroduce it and see if you have any inflammation issues after not eating gluten for a while. I wouldn't eliminate it from your diet for the rest of your life unless you needed to because of sensitivity issues. I have been gluten free since July and have lost weight . I think it makes more sense to learn to eat sensible portions and limit the amount of calories you are consuming to a sensible amount based on your activity level and how much you want to lose. There are many people here that are young and fretting over wanting to lose 5 lbs then there are others that have serious health issues because of being 50 or 100 lbs or more overweight. these are two quite different situations and can not be addressed in a similar manner.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend going gluten free unless you absolutely have to, it can be very difficult to eat this way and especially when you go out to eat. You would have to exclude most dressings and marinades, soups and many other items.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am actually gluten intolerant and have been tested for it. It's worth pointing out that a lot of the gluten free products out there are actually higher in calories than the regular equivalent. Not all, but a lot. And since at the end of the day weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out, a gluten free diet is not necessarily going to help you lose weight.

I would not go gluten free unless you have a medical reason for doing so. In and of itself, it is not a weight loss method.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Any "diet" will be effective if your total calories consumed are less than than the calories you burn. A gluten-free diet will PROBABLY make that easier to accomplish since you will be cutting out a lot of processed foods. But you still need to know how many calories you are eating and how many you are burning.

As others have said, gluten-free isn't "necessary" for weight loss, and it's certainly not magic. And if you try it for a while and see that you are happier eating starchy carbs, then consider adding them back into your diet. Deprivation is not a good strategy for long-term success. But if you find gluten-free to be something you can live with and enjoy, then go for it. I've been mostly gluten-free for nearly a year and a half and entirely gluten-free since the beginning of this year. It works for me. I feel good. I enjoy the foods I eat. I don't crave starchy foods You may find the same thing to be true for you, or you may find that you need moderate amounts of starches to feel full and satisfied.

ETA: I am not gluten-intolerant, and I do not believe anyone needs a medical reason to eat gluten-free. I prefer a diet with no grains because I feel it improves my performance in the gym. Your reasons are no one else's business.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Diarrhea and/or constipation - Focus on what you eat, it might not just be gluten...fried foods does this to me

Abdominal pain and/or heartburn - See above,

Bloating - Sodas....

Fatigue - Exercise, eat right, and get proper sleep. Could also be caused by dehydration.

Brain fog - Get proper sleep.

Anemia - Check your iron levels.

Joint pain - Are you getting enough calcium?

Rashes - Most of the time it is reactions to materials cloths are made out of or the detergant you have used.

Depression and/or anxiety - linked to sleep, and is linked to exercise

Inability to lose weight - Calorie in, calorie out

Inability to gain weight - Eat more

Teeth problems (yellow and frequent cavities even when you brush and floss all the time) - What are you eating? Are you eating something very acidic? And unless you are brushing after ever pot of coffee or every cigarette then you will still get cavities and dying of teeth.

Psoriasis, eczema, hives or skin rashes - See "rashes" above

Missed periods (seems to be more prevalent in pcos women too) - PCOS, or have you just started a new exercise program. Is there stress in your life? All contributing factors

Being super itchy - See "rashes" above

I would consider all those before paying for expensive tests. While some have gluten intolerances, more often than not it is other facts that cause problems in our lives and can easily be fixed, and most of the time it is with R&R believe it or not. Gluten free has fallen into the "fad" catagory for me. If there is something wrong with anyone the first thing someone jumps to is gluten, when in reality it could just be something as simple as giving up sodas or getting enough sleep.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

This. Don't go on a gluten free diet if you don't HAVE to for medical reasons. It isn't always a better or healthier diet than any other out there. A gluten free diet, meat eating diet, vegan diet, vegetarian diet, along with all other diets out there can be healthy or unhealthy. A gluten free diet seems to be a fad... in terms of those who don't have to go gluten free. I've seen a lot of people who don't have an issue with gluten going gluten free because it's the "it" diet to follow... and it's not. It doesn't mean health unless you have a real reason to not consume gluten.

It can be difficult to eat gluten free and why put yourself through that if you don't HAVE to? It can also be quite expensive. A friend of mine who now has to eat gluten free has seen her grocery budget go up by a decent amount as she also has to feed her two sons gluten free. Pasta and pizza are treats for them now as the alternatives are pricey.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Sure. So if you think you are gluten intolerant, try a GF diet for two weeks and see if it helps relieve the symptoms. If it doesn't then you're not gluten-intolerant. And if it helps, then stop eating gluten. Why does this have to be such an issue?
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Quit looking for a scapegoat and eat at a reasonable calorie deficit. There is absolutely no need to eliminate gluten unless you have an intolerance. Sometimes with elimination it's possible to give yourself an intolerance. Eat the food and don't over complicate this. It's simple.

Here's how to find your correct calorie intake.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Edited for spelling
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Hiya I am starting a gluten free diet where I get rid of any gluten food. Also my diet consist of natural food so fruit, veg nothing processed. Do you think this would be effective?

Yes, if it help you stick to a calorie deficit and you have a gluten intolerance.

If you are not intolerant it can be pointlessly expensive and not necessarily healthier as commercially produced "gluten free" products can be little more than junk in disguise.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have a 9 year old son that was diagnosed with Celiacs Disease in September of last year. Due to the extent of his illness and allergy (rashes, severe stomach pains, behavior issues) we cannot have any gluten in the house. So, the entire family has gone Glulten-Free. Honestly, it was the BEST thing for my middle son - he is Autistic and Bipolar. The change in diet reduced two meds he was on, and he lost 25 pounds in a few months time! He is happier and healthier. My 16 year old daughter lost 15 pounds - now, none of them workout to any extent - but they lost the weight just by eating GF.

It is not for everyone - and my boyfried still tried to sneak foods into the house that have Gluten in them, but he has learned to keep them in the car if he wants them - I cannot have them in the house, as he breaks out in rashes from the slightest contact with Gluten.

I also lost some weight by cutting gluten - although, I can get it at work during the day, or if we go out to dinner at night.

Yes, it can help you lose weight. It will not hurt you at all. It will actually make you feel better too.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    it depends on how many calories you eat. Losing weight is simple math. What goes in has to be less than what's going out.