Bananas

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    This **** is bananas B_A_N_A_N_A_S.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Peanut Butter + banana = win

My newest favorite sandwich is peanut butter, banana and honey. Crazy good, makes me sad I'm drowning in leftovers and I couldn't make one for lunch today.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    I average 2-3 bananas daily. One with breakfast without fail, and another one or two throughout the day either in a smoothie or by itself as a snack.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Not true.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Is it true that you can't have banana's? That there are fattening? I thought they had good fat. I like having them with peanut butter.

I too was under the illusion that bananas were bad bad bad for you because they were high in calories. FAIL! They are soooo good for you! If you ate 20 a day then yes, you could be over doing it. If you have potassium issues then yes, you should stay away from bananas. But if you have no major medical issues.....eat away!

Ps. I have a banana with peanut butter, along with my oatmeal, every day for breakfast....I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANAS!!!! (And I just lost 2 pounds this week!!!)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Bananas aren't high in fat, they're high in sugar and carbs. Peanut butter is high in fat. But remember, dietary fat =/= body fat. If you eat below maintenance you'll lose weight. I've been eating ice cream and chocolate every single night and I still lose weight. IIFYM.

what kind of ice scream do you eat?
    Last night I make faux "ice cream" using one frozen banana, some ovaltine powder and a little almond milk all mixed up in the food processor. There are many ways to eat bananas, they are soooo good!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    One bananna is about 100 cal if that fits in your allotment then Im sure you wont get fat. I had someone at work tell me banannas will make me fat my replay Eating more calories than I burn on a daily average will get me fat not 1 or even 2 banannas a day. (he was overweight)he turned around and walked away.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Is it true that you can't have banana's? That there are fattening? I thought they had good fat. I like having them with peanut butter.

I too was under the illusion that bananas were bad bad bad for you because they were high in calories. FAIL! They are soooo good for you! If you ate 20 a day then yes, you could be over doing it. If you have potassium issues then yes, you should stay away from bananas. But if you have no major medical issues.....eat away!

Ps. I have a banana with peanut butter, along with my oatmeal, every day for breakfast....I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANAS!!!! (And I just lost 2 pounds this week!!!)

No one has potassium issues. Most people don't eat enough potassium and too much sodium. That is what leads to high blood pressure among other things. I have never heard of anyone having any kind of issues with potassium. Is there some condition that I have never heard of?
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    pesticide ridden and promote a slavery industry: http://www.greens.org/s-r/17/17-10.html

deforestation and destruction of peoples and habitats due to polution: http://www.chiptaylor.com/ttlmnp3747-.cfm

excessive sugars cause mouth rot, lead to diabetes, difficult to digest: http://morningbananadiet.org/

Your GMO bananas are in danger of poisoning you with the fungicides,
    herbicides, pesticides, and chemical ripening agents used on them:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/banana-crops-are-under-threat-from-a-deadly-fungal-disease-2183083.html

and there are only 300 types of bananas in existance, not "thousands"!

the mis information is rampant about bananas.

and here's the great things about those peas and your peanut butter:
    http://www.openeyehealth.com/2011/05/dangerous-mold-in-peanut-butter/
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    I blend a banana into my protein shakes.
  • Linac11
    Linac11 Posts: 2 Member
    Women need the Potassium so its ok. My trainer said as long as I personally do not consume more than 2 a day I am ok. We break them down quick when we work out... hope this helps! Keep up the good work!!
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Bananas are probably one of my favorite foods.. they satisfy my sweet tooth and give me a burst of energy.

I have yet to hear anyone say "wow, all those bananas I've been eating really made me fat!"

Like anything else, moderation is the key.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Am I the only crazy one. I hate banana by them self. Like I can't even force my self to eat them. But add to a smoothies, with pb and chocolate, onto French toast and no problem . Plain and I gag
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    I couldn't do this if I couldn't have bananas. I love my nanas :)
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member

No one has potassium issues. Most people don't eat enough potassium and too much sodium. That is what leads to high blood pressure among other things. I have never heard of anyone having any kind of issues with potassium. Is there some condition that I have never heard of?

Yes, to a degree I guess. I have a client who had a viral infection in his kidneys as a child. Because of this he needs to watch/reduce his potassium intake. He is not allowed to eat Peanut butter, bananas, french fries or oranges. This is prescribed by a doctor...not me!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member

I'll have to find out from my wife, but my Father-in-law is on a potassium restriction for some reason. I got a copy of the food list with the potassium heavy hitters because I was concerned that I wasn't getting enough potassium and it gave me a list of foods to embrace rather than avoid.
  • UsedToBeHusky

Yes, to a degree I guess. I have a client who had a viral infection in his kidneys as a child. Because of this he needs to watch/reduce his potassium intake. He is not allowed to eat Peanut butter, bananas, french fries or oranges. This is prescribed by a doctor...not me!

I was just asking because I have never heard of such a thing. I didn't realize how potassium defecient I was until MFP. Turns out I'm a bit sensitive to sodium and developed dieter's edema. I was drinking water like crazy (as most people prescribe for high sodium) but I just kept swelling up more and more. My condition almost went toxic when something I read pointed me in the direction of potassium deficiency. I had MFP produce a report on my potassium intake and sure enough, I wasn't even close to RDA. That's when I started tracking it and eating all the bananas I wanted, and the condition cleared right up. I try to combat the misinformation about combatting sodium with water by recommending potassium where I can, but I don't want to suggest something to someone that could be harmful. Thanks for your reply. I'm going to look into this more before I post in another thread about potassium.

Just FYI, drinking lots of water will push sodium out of the cell, but it will also push out the potassium, and if your electrolytes are already imbalanced, you are just trapping that extra water you are drinking inside the cell rather than moving it through your system.

If you have to much sodium, eat a banana... or two!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Bananas are very high in sugar.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Bananas are very high in sugar.

Sugar is not bad for you unless you have trouble producing insulin.
  • britkneemeyer
    britkneemeyer Posts: 54 Member
    If bananas are wrong I don't want to be right.