Deli meats - any way to avoid sodium?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much ditched deli meats.

If I have a hankering for a sandwich I'll just make egg , tuna or chicken salad at home.

I think those franken meats are just a waste, dont even taste good. Plus the nitrates and **** in there.

I mean I could understand if you want something like a great Hungarian or German salami. But turkey/chicken breast or smoked red meats you could just replace with your own cooking imo.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No real way to avoid some sodium when eating deli meats.. I prefer Sara Lee brand Deli meats. I prefer the Honey Roasted Turkey Breast, Which has 0g Trans Fat, Low Saturated Fat, Made with Whole Turkey Breast, Minimally Processed, Naturally Hardwood Smoked, No Added Hormones*, No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavor, No MSG. The Buffalo Style Chicken Breast is very good also... Pretty much has been a staple in my daily lunch plans for the last 4 years...... Best of Luck....
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I miss deli meat. It has always been my weakness but since giving it up and eating healthy I have lowered my BP substantially.

Every time I go to the grocery store I study the selections hoping to find something low sodium and every time I walk away empty handed with a lil tear in my eye.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    ^^^THANK YOU for this link! I've found a few options here and there that are ~150-200mg/oz, but guide makes it so much easier!

When feasible, I make my own cold cuts. B/S chicken breast boiled and sliced for the week. London broil subbing for roast beef. Whole pork loin sliced thin subbing for ham. Krogers has a small (~2-3lb) boneless turkey breast in the meat freezer ("Private Selection"?); it's in a net-bag kinda like those big hams with a black and dark shiny wrap/label. I tried one 2 weeks ago and it was da bomb! Comes marinated and with a pop-up timer. If memory serves, it was only ~80-100mg/oz sodium! I will be stocking up on them.

*ETA: I sometime eat Tumaro flour tortillas instead of bread to lower sodium. They're equivalent to 2 slices of bread but only have 100-120mg sodium each. I've only found them locally at Martin's (part of Giant stores).
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I really enjoy making a turkey or ham sandwich for lunch - however, the amount of sodium in prepackaged lunch meats (Hillshire Farms, Oscar Meyer, etc) is through the roof. Are there healthier options?

do you have a medical condition that requires you to curtail sodium intake? if no, then no worries.