Sugar, sugar-HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar a couple or years ago and found that I had to cut out the artificial sweeteners as well. they are much sweeter than natural sugar & actually increased my cravings. I lost 50 lbs in 6 months when I did this. I started eating sweets again last year after a stressful time and have now gained most of that back. I honestly believe keeping sugar low is the key, at least FOR ME.

ps I don't include fruit in my sugar intake, but limit them to berries, or low glycemic fruit.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    MFP is harsh on the sugar and sodium intakes. It seems that if you eat 4 servings of fruit and 1 serving of carbs you are at double your intake already. Don't measure it :) Life should be more sweet than that...
    Tell me about it. I find it to be harsh on the protein. My trainer recommended that I eat at least 150 g and MFP has me at around 60. I just disregard that. I actually like the sodium limit and try to stay under it which I don't find at all difficult to do.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    I cut out sugar a couple or years ago and found that I had to cut out the artificial sweeteners as well. they are much sweeter than natural sugar & actually increased my cravings. I lost 50 lbs in 6 months when I did this. I started eating sweets again last year after a stressful time and have now gained most of that back. I honestly believe keeping sugar low is the key, at least FOR ME.

ps I don't include fruit in my sugar intake, but limit them to berries, or low glycemic fruit.
    I hear that a lot that it increases your cravings but I don't have that problem. I prefer plain oatmeal instead of those sugary flavored instant packs so I need to add splenda to it. Same with my tea in the morning and my greek yogurt.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I do try to make healthy choices as far as sugars are concerned... but recently, I made the decision to hide my sugar intake on MFP. It's enough that I am trying to stay within my Carbs/Protein/Fats, I don't need the extra stress of seeing the sugars in red everyday.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    I do try to make healthy choices as far as sugars are concerned... but recently, I made the decision to hide my sugar intake on MFP. It's enough that I am trying to stay within my Carbs/Protein/Fats, I don't need the extra stress of seeing the sugars in red everyday.

My thoughts exactly!! LOL I just removed it too.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    Even milk was sending me over my limit. I knew then that these settings were ridiculous lol
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Lora, you have made my day! :)

I don't have any medical condition to my knowledge. But I do worry when I hear about people who struggled to lose weight despite their calorie deficit because of the TYPES of food they ate.

No, a calorie IS a calorie but eating sugar tends to increase appetite and is heavily involved with "food addiction". http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/presenters-johnson.htm

As sugar is metabolized, the body is drained of important nutrients--minerals in particular, like magnesium which can make it more difficult to use body fat for energy. Because women have 2 to 3 times the blood levels of leptin (a hormone put out by body fat that tells you when to quit eating) than men (even at the same level of body fat) leptin resistance is much more of a problem for women than men. Eating simple sugars and starch tend to increase leptin-resistance. And most or all obese women have leptin resistance. Leptin resistance precedes and predicts insulin resistance in later years. You would be better off without sugar, if you can do it.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Even milk was sending me over my limit. I knew then that these settings were ridiculous lol

Milk has galactose and contributes to blood glucose levels but you don't take the metabolic hit with galactose that you do with sucrose or fructose. If you OD'd on galactose, you might get diarrhea but that's about it. Sugar (sucrose) is a whole different kettle of fish. Most of the fructose that we take in, comes from our sugar habit (sucrose is 50% fructose and 50% glucose). Fructose in the small amounts that we take in through a couple of servings of fruit is not a problem. But sugar consumption (the average American takes in 500 calories a day in added sucrose or high fructose corn syrup per day) is a real problem. Virtually all processed food contains some added sugar and a LOT of salt (I suppose they add it to cover up the too sweet taste from the added sugar). One of the problems with the "total sugar" approach that they use at MFP is that it doesn't distinguish the types of sugar. It is sucrose and fructose that must be watched. Obesity researchers suggest that obese persons (or persons trying to lose body fat) limit their fructose consumption to 15 grams or less per day. You can calculate it by hand--that's what I do. I ignore galactose or dextrose (the industry name for glucose). I generally eat lower carb anyway so high blood glucose isn't a problem for me. Interestingly, researchers have recently noted that obese folk seem to be able to efficiently convert high blood glucose into fructose! So watching total carbs is important too--especially if one is experiencing higher blood glucose levels than in the past.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Milk has galactose and contributes to blood glucose levels but you don't take the metabolic hit with galactose that you do with sucrose or fructose. If you OD'd on galactose, you might get diarrhea but that's about it. Sugar (sucrose) is a whole different kettle of fish. Most of the fructose that we take in, comes from our sugar habit (sucrose is 50% fructose and 50% glucose). Fructose in the small amounts that we take in through a couple of servings of fruit is not a problem. But sugar consumption (the average American takes in 500 calories a day in added sucrose or high fructose corn syrup per day) is a real problem. Virtually all processed food contains some added sugar and a LOT of salt (I suppose they add it to cover up the too sweet taste from the added sugar). One of the problems with the "total sugar" approach that they use at MFP is that it doesn't distinguish the types of sugar. It is sucrose and fructose that must be watched. Obesity researchers suggest that obese persons (or persons trying to lose body fat) limit their fructose consumption to 15 grams or less per day. You can calculate it by hand--that's what I do. I ignore galactose or dextrose (the industry name for glucose). I generally eat lower carb anyway so high blood glucose isn't a problem for me. Interestingly, researchers have recently noted that obese folk seem to be able to efficiently convert high blood glucose into fructose! So watching total carbs is important too--especially if one is experiencing higher blood glucose levels than in the past.

Pero... hablas ingles?

I like Almond Breeze Almond Milk... I think it only has like 1g of sugar.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I consume daily high amounts of sugar due to the amount of fruit I consume. My breakfast alone sends me skyrockting over the sugar amounts here on MFP. Regularly I am twice or triple the suggested amount here yet I lose weight perfectly fine. Fruitarians lose weight fine most times and consume incredibly large amounts of fruit everyday.

Sugar is sugar. Fructose, or sugar coming from fruit obviously comes with a lot more nutrients than refined or added sugar. I fail to see how limiting your fruit sugars will cause you to lose more weight... or gain if you are consuming a lot of fruit. I lose better now that most of my intake is fruit than I did before.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I consume daily high amounts of sugar due to the amount of fruit I consume. My breakfast alone sends me skyrockting over the sugar amounts here on MFP. Regularly I am twice or triple the suggested amount here yet I lose weight perfectly fine. Fruitarians lose weight fine most times and consume incredibly large amounts of fruit everyday.

Sugar is sugar. Fructose, or sugar coming from fruit obviously comes with a lot more nutrients than refined or added sugar. I fail to see how limiting your fruit sugars will cause you to lose more weight... or gain if you are consuming a lot of fruit. I lose better now that most of my intake is fruit than I did before.

Fruitarians lose weight because they severely limit their fat intake (and the protein restriction probably causes them to lose lean body mass). But researchers recently announced that there is an association between high fructose consumption and pancreatic cancer. Steve Jobs (who died of pancreatic cancer) was, for many years a fruitarian (he even named his company after his favorite fruit, Apple Inc.). Interestingly, Ashton Kutcher, the actor selected to play Jobs in the upcoming biopic, said that the all-fruit diet that he went on (I suppose to get into character?) in preparation caused him to have "pancreatic issues". Fructose is metabolized in a way that is similar to the metabolizing of alcohol. High fructose consumption (primarily through sucrose consumption) is associated with obesity, fatty liver (liver and pancreatic issues ride together), high serum uric acid, hypertension, Type II diabetes, and renal disease. All sugars are not created equal. Fruit does appear to have SOME protective effects---probably because the high mineral content helps to prevent a lot of the demineralizing that occurs from high sugar consumption. But an all-fruit diet is a VERY bad idea.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Plain and simple. Sucralose, fructose, LACtose, High Fructose Corn Syrup. Every single one affects your system the same way by causing your body to react to them with a surge of insulin to process it. Some to varying degrees. The fiber in fruit slows it down a little that is why it is always better to eat the whole fruit rather than just juice. The protein in milk does the same. A lot of issues with weight come when you get so used to this, your insulin keeps shooting up for large amounts of sugar that you get "insulin resistant". This means you are not processing it effectivly anymore causing it to be stored as glycogen. Keep in mind that glycogen attached to water when stored you you get to carry around both.

Now granted, if your a much more active person than me this isnt and issue. I am not a marathoner. The most activity I do right now until my neck can turn again (Big old muscle spasms) is chase the kids around.

**OK, off my high horse.... I hope to not tick anyone off. I am just pretty passionate about sugar and white bread and white bread masqurading as whole wheat bread..... I had gest. diabetes with my last pregnancy. Since then I have had to watch all these things to make sure my sugar nubers don't go back up. I was sitting *thisclose* to prediabetic after the twins were born and refuse to go there if I can help it. Moderation is the key and if you are unsure how it affects you, try skipping it for a few days. Or, enjoy your fruit with some healthy proteins to slow down the absorbsion. Even sticking to good sugars, little milk, cheese and apple, I am still over the MFP sugar for the day but it also keeps it constantly in mind so I don't slip. **
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Fruitarians lose weight because they severely limit their fat intake (and the protein restriction probably causes them to lose lean body mass). But researchers recently announced that there is an association between high fructose consumption and pancreatic cancer. Steve Jobs (who died of pancreatic cancer) was, for many years a fruitarian (he even named his company after his favorite fruit, Apple Inc.). Interestingly, Ashton Kutcher, the actor selected to play Jobs in the upcoming biopic, said that the all-fruit diet that he went on (I suppose to get into character?) in preparation caused him to have "pancreatic issues". Fructose is metabolized in a way that is similar to the metabolizing of alcohol. High fructose consumption (primarily through sucrose consumption) is associated with obesity, fatty liver (liver and pancreatic issues ride together), high serum uric acid, hypertension, Type II diabetes, and renal disease. All sugars are not created equal. Fruit does appear to have SOME protective effects---probably because the high mineral content helps to prevent a lot of the demineralizing that occurs from high sugar consumption. But an all-fruit diet is a VERY bad idea.

Fat intake won't cause someone to lose weight. I definately agree an all fruit diet is a bad idea as it can lack some nutrients and such but a diet high in fruit can be a good thing. Correlation of higher rates of pancreatic cancer or issues and a diet high in fruit doesn't mean fruit will cause pancreatic issues.. correlation =/= causation. I have never actually heard about what you are suggesting before.

There are many cases to show the opposite as well that a diet high in fruits can be beneficial. Again, most things will ultimately have support and articles to support either view. It ultimately comes down to your own body and how you feel. I feel amazing, have tons of energy and get much better workouts in and have a much more active day if I have had a decent chunk of fruits in my diet that day and the days before but someone else may not have the same results.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Fat intake won't cause someone to lose weight. I definately agree an all fruit diet is a bad idea as it can lack some nutrients and such but a diet high in fruit can be a good thing. Correlation of higher rates of pancreatic cancer or issues and a diet high in fruit doesn't mean fruit will cause pancreatic issues.. correlation =/= causation. I have never actually heard about what you are suggesting before.

There are many cases to show the opposite as well that a diet high in fruits can be beneficial. Again, most things will ultimately have support and articles to support either view. It ultimately comes down to your own body and how you feel. I feel amazing, have tons of energy and get much better workouts in and have a much more active day if I have had a decent chunk of fruits in my diet that day and the days before but someone else may not have the same results.

Obesity researchers investigating the role of sugar in "food addiction" believe that fructose metabolism is responsible for subtle metabolic damage over time (among other things, it raises uric acid levels). They are suggesting that most people limit their fructose consumption to 25 grams a day and that obese folks limit it to 15 grams. This obviously means that sucrose is out. I always eat at least one piece of fruit per day but I eat no sucrose. Children and young adults do not absorb fructose as well as older adults, so children should be allowed to eat fruit freely (although fruit juice should be restricted for them--especially if they have weight problems). Here is a link to a conference on "food addiction"--an impressive list of presenters. Interesting reading: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/presenters-johnson.htm