Newly diagnosed diabetic needs friends

Hi,
I'm Seth, I was just diagnosed with diabetes and am trying to do everything I can to bring it under control. Friend me if you want & we can exchange encouragement and congrats on personal milestones

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    HI Seth,

I'm a 47 year old diagnosed diabetic. My HbA1c at diagnosis was 12.2% with fasting of 267mg/dl (14.8mmol/L for non-USA folks.) so my diabetes was quite severe.

I was told I'd need insulin for life, yet after doing research and adopting a ketogenic diet to treat diabetes - along with daily exercise, I've reduced my HbA1c as follows:

After 3 months: 7.0%
    After 6 months: 6.0%
    After 9 months: 5.4%

And for nearly two years now I've maintained an HbA1c of between 5.1 and 5.4% - completely normal. And I have not needed to use insulin whatsoever.

Some good information, mostly my opinion, but based on scientific research:

Best forum for diabetics: www.diabetesforum.com
    Best book: Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution"
    Best diet: Low-carb, High-fat ketogenic diet. See www.dietdoctor.com/LCHF for basics and research.

I hope that helps!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Hi Seth,
    I am a 47 year old woman that has had Type 2 diabetes for almost 7 years. My doctors kept telling me to watch what I eat, lose weight and exercise and I would be able to control my diabetes. But, for 7 years, I didn't really believe them. Since January 3, 2013, I have started tracking my food in MFP. I have also joined a gym, which is something I have only done a couple of times in my entire life. I am very happy to report that my A1C has gone from 8.1 to 6.0 (2 weeks ago). I am so thrilled by this!!!

Not sure if you have type 1 or type 2, but there are discussion groups for both. I belong to the type 2 support group (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group), which has been a huge benefit. People in there are so supportive and have a lot of answers. You may want to check it out.

Welcome to MFP and with the diet and exercise, you should be able to control your diabetes!

PS - send me a friend request if you'd like...