Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
I've been doing a lot of reading online about the "raw apple cider vinegar" and the benefits that it has for your body.

Has anyone else ever tried this? Because my sister and i did our first "shot" this morning and mannnn oh man is it nasty ! :)

Any input or advice is welcome :smile:

Replies

• geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I mix a 1/2 TBS in a glass of lemon-lime seltzer as a substitute for my pre-dinner cocktail. I like the taste/combo. Not sure it's having any effect on my body other than helping me cut back on alcohol consumption, and I've been drinking it for about 3 months.
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! !: )
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I'm old enough to remember the apple cider vinegar fad the first time it rolled around--the mid 1970's.

It wasn't a miracle then, and it's not a miracle now. It didn't do anything then, and it doesn't do anything now.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    It has malic acid in it so it's anti-fungal. It's bad for the teeth like all vinegars.
  • Mallyycatt
    Options
    Good to know !
    Thanks!
  • Mallyycatt
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback !
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It may work as part of a salad dressing, but other than that, I don't know biologically why it would work. Some people - me included find pickles kill my apetite. Who knows? Maybe after drinking a shot of vinegar, you lose your apetite...

I'm of the mindset that moderation and common sense work the best. If you eat a reasonable diet that is balanced with protein, fat, carbs, fiber and nutrients, and reduces calories (like the 1,500 calories a day some of us use) you will lose weight. Add exercise, and you'll build muscle too!
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love ACV! I drink it daily and it helps stabilize blood sugar and if you are on an anti-candida diet it is a must for detoxifing. People say it is a "myth" but it works.

I also use it as a hair rinse. :)

Check out this link for some tips before you toss it out as a fad: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5875/15-Reasons-to-Use-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Every-Day.html
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have used ACV to treat the occasion incidence of upset stomach or heartburn and it actually does help. You want to dilute the ACV in a glass of water though so it doesn't affect your teeth, or at least drink a large glass of water afterwards to rinse out your mouth and so it doesn't burn on the way down. It probably doesn't hurt that I like the taste of vinegar though. :P
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Gives me crazy kidney stones! Ugh. I actually liked the taste though.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I tried Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar for acid reflux. 3 tsp with 1 tsp of honey in warm water made it actually somewhat tasty, however, my stomach revolted. It did not help and made the stomach acid much worse. I wish it would have helped as I have been eating Prilosec for years (my gastro dr's advice instead of expensive prescription meds). There are many claims about the benefits of ACV, research it and see if it will work for you.
  • robinzang
    robinzang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from diverticullitis. When I feel that pain coming on, I drink 1 tbls braggs apple cider vinegar, 1 tbls raw local honey in a glass of warm water. The honey helps with the taste. Amazing that the pain stops quickly.