HRM

Options
I would like to get a HRM, because I don't like to just trust the numbers on MFP, and I don't think that my elliptical is right...HOWEVER, I do a lot of TKD and Karate classes, and I would need something that I could wear there. Something that I could maybe wear while sparring, or grappling, doing grabs and everything and it wouldn't get broken. I looked at one with a chest strap, then I thought one good kick to the chest and it's broken!
Are they more durable than I think? If you wear one during TkD classes, which one do u use?

Replies

• BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    HRMs with a chest strap give you a more accurate calorie burn since it sits right on your heart. My son is in Kajukenbo and uses a Polar FT7. He normally burns 800 -1000 per session. Words of advice hands up and block! lol
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Mine has proven very durable, though I don't do anything like what you're talking about.

On a side note, your eliptical may well be right, and HRMs are not guaranteed to be more accurate. They are most effective when used during steady state cardio... the less steady state the activity is, or the less cardio it is the less accurate the HRM will be.

HRMs are not the miracle tool so many people think they are. They are very effective for very specific types of exercise. Outside of that and they can be just as inaccurate as any other estimate.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't think the chest strap would necessarily be an issue. I see more a problem with the actual watch. I would buy an inexpensive one that has most of the features that you are looking for. You can always invest in something better if you find it doesn't get in the way.