Old habits die hard

Options
My biggest problem all my life has been absent-minded eating. I could have my mind on something and be half way through eating some kind of snack before I even knew Id picked it up in the first place. I dont have to be hungry, either. I just wander into the kitchen, grab something and eat it, half way through im like.. WTF? Where did that come from?!

I've been quite good recently, keeping focussed on what I'm doing with myself in the times I'm not actually doing anything, and for the last two weeks these mystery snack sessions seem to have been defeated.

.. Until now, I just caught myself with an apple, knife, spoon, tub of cottage cheese and some ryvta crackers in my hand. I managed to snap my brain back into focus, give myself a telling off and put it all back BEFORE I had started eating any of it. But its still pretty frustrating! I don't even know how my body can perform such a complex set of tasks without me even knowing about it!

Does anyone else have problems like this, or is it just my brain being wierd? Also, anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop this strange little habit?