I've done some research, but still would like some advice.

Options
13»

Replies

• jcramer1227
    jcramer1227 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Wow...what a difference! Just by using my BF% in the calculation, I got a completely different number than what I'd been using. Turns out my TDEE -20% (moderately active) is about 1700. I will have to give this a shot. Admittedly, these numbers seem much more reasonable. I'm excited to try this!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    When you eat out a lot, you get a lot of sodium and not a lot of nutrition. I would try eating more whole foods and keep your sodium below the daily goal. I didn't think sodium meant anything but I've notice that I blow up like a balloon (sometimes 3-5 pounds overnight) when my sodium intake is high. When I control that macro alone, I steadily lose weight. Drink lots of water (at least 8 cups a day, but if you're exercising you need more). Veggies and fruits keep things moving through your digestive system so they are important too.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    when i started i lost almost 25lbs the first month. 2nd (added weights to the mix) month i stalled, didn't lose a pound for 1.5 months and i was going really hard. month 3 i started to see loss again. that was when I CUT THE SALT out. I was eating a lot of microwave meals and popcorn. Never way yourself the day after a good workout, you body uses more fluids to help it repair. Always way yourself first thing in the morning. MEASURE!!!!! That was what got me through and kept me encouraged. even though i wasn't losing weight i was losing so many inches. now it's been 5 months and i've lost 40lbs. Be patient! Keep at it. Good luck!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yeah, after high school I gained all kinds of independence when I left home. I ate what I want, when I wanted it. Which meant fast food. It has become a habit that I'm slowly breaking. I would love nothing more than to set a specific schedule like that, but, in my experience, it works better for me to "wing it." I know you may be thinking I'm just not applying myself, but if I'm truly honest here, I know that the second I start telling myself "no" and "you HAVE to do it this way" I will resist my own restrictions lol as silly as that sounds. I'm extremely stubborn. But trust me, what I eat now is nothing like what I used to eat. I'm very proud of myself for that.

And as a side note: the snacking and meals you see from Perkins...I work there. Just wanted to clarify that I don't actually make several trips to one place for food!

I know exactly what you mean. I developed a fast food habit during college but I was active and didn't overeat so I didn't have any problems, but when that habit carried on to my life after school, it was bad news.

It took me about 3 years to break that habit. I tried a lot of different things. Don't worry, as long as you keep trying, you'll get there eventually.

Can you take a scale with you when you go out to eat? That way you'll know if they give you more food than is listed in the nutrition info.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I really recommend trying the 4 meals every 4 hours plan. I had a big problem getting the scale to move and I was having huge fluctuations between days. It isn't anything extreme, but instead of have 6 small meals throughout the day, you cut back to 4 slightly bigger meals at least 4 hours apart. I know people swear by eating every few hours, but I am not sure I agree with that any more. Supposedly, the 4 hour window allows your body to burn your stores instead of just constantly intaking food. I figured it couldn't hurt so I gave it a try. I am snacking less, especially on junk, the scale has stopped fluctuating, and I have started losing more than half a pound every few weeks.