Walking backwards

Options
While walking the other day with the family, I turned around and walked backwards a few laps just to face the fam and talk. The results were fantastic. My legs were cramping from the elliptical workout before and by walking backwards I apparently used other muscles which in turn counteracted the cramps. I've done it each time since then and feel more refreshed or less exhausted at the end of my workout than before. Just be careful if you try it, balance and possibly running into someone are two of the hazzards. Hope it helps... BamBam

Replies

• fromicecreamtomarathon
    Options
    I've seen the Biggest Loser contestants do that on the show too! I'm going to have to try it on my treadmill!
  • evaeva28
    evaeva28 Posts: 23
    Options
    I hear that it's really good because you are actually using muscles you wouldn't normally use by regular walking. I work in a 6 floor building and when it's too hot outside or even raining I see ladies in the stairwell climbing up and down backwards! I would do it too if I wasn't such a clutz at times!! LOL
  • bambam32
    bambam32 Posts: 20
    Options
    never tried it on a treadmill. Be carefull. It does feel so much better afterwards...
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Walking backwards BUILDS muscle and also targets your glutes, so if you're looking for that kind of benefit, even better!!!! I'm trying not to build any more muscle in my thighs and have enough targeting my glutes from the elliptical and other moves, so I don't walk backwards but it's good for switching up your routine. :happy:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've done this on the stair climber; climbing forwards and then backwards. Similar effect, but you don't have the feeling like you'll fall off hehe. Definitely a different set of muscles and a great change of pace!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    I've done this on the stair climber; climbing forwards and then backwards. Similar effect, but you don't have the feeling like you'll fall off hehe. Definitely a different set of muscles and a great change of pace!

I've also gone sideways on the Stairclimber. Works the inner and outer thighs.